• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Apprentice

Major
6 Badges
Oct 28, 2011
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Impire
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
I am in a huge/impossible game, and an unmet AI just started casting the unity spell. I am playing the "Battle for the Planes" mode, so I'm not sure I can find the GM casting it quickly.

Is the Unity spell counterspellable in W:2, and how long do I have to find the GM? Thanks!

Does the AI generally cast other speed enhancers, like Agile or Experienced Mind? That would chop at least 15 turns off the casting time, wouldn't it?

Also, how long do Huge "Battle for the Planes" games last in general (if the city limit rule is in effect)?

Hi Guys. This doesn't seem to have been answered in full.
I've just been beaten by a great mage casting the spell of unity by about turn 157 (battle for the outplanes, normal world size, 3 other great mages, challenging difficulty).
I recieved notification that someone was casting Unity but I hadn't discvered them yet, nor did I have counterspell. Work to do. I foound them and had counterspell ready witjh only 2 turns to spare. Counterspell wouldn't work so I declared war, still didn't work. Waited another turn in case the state of war had to have a turn to register. Still didn't work.
Can anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or if it spell of Unity can't be countered?

I the counterspell doesn't work on Unity, can I ask if anyone ever uses the counterspell for anything else?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Guys. This doesn't seem to have been answered in full.
I've just been beaten by a great mage casting the spell of unity by about turn 157 (battle for the outplanes, normal world size, 3 other great mages, challenging difficulty).
I recieved notification that someone was casting Unity but I hadn't discvered them yet, nor did I have counterspell. Work to do. I foound them and had counterspell ready witjh only 2 turns to spare. Counterspell wouldn't work so I declared war, still didn't work. Waited another turn in case the state of war had to have a turn to register. Still didn't work.
Can anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or if it spell of Unity can't be countered?

I the counterspell doesn't work on Unity, can I ask if anyone ever uses the counterspell for anything else?

Many thanks in advance.
Correct, counterspell cannot be used on the unity spell. IIRC it used to work in W1 at launch, but was later patched.

As for actually using counterspell, no I don't really use it at all. It would probably be useful for interrupting my enemies longer casting time spells, but I've never really paid much attention to what they're casting.

Thanks for clearing that up Shidan.
I guess I'll turn off that win condition!
I can't see myself even researching counterspell at all now. I'd have to check what each of the other great mages are doing each turn to even find out if they are casting a spell that takes more than one turn. I'm sure I've got better spells I'd prefer to be casting.

I usually turn it off anyway. As last I knew the AI didn't even have to research the required amount of spells to get it. I've had games where 3 different AI started casting it in quick succession. The match became entirely about killing those mages, which is not fun if you haven't even found them yet.