• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Catholic Church semi-tolerated polygamy for quite some time amongst the Franks until the time around Charlemagne. The Church tolerated rulers having concubines and children are allowed to inherit land from their fathers.

This is right tho I think that it had started to become less tolerated even before Charlemagne. Concubinage was common in Wales well into the game's period

Honestly they should untheather concubinage from religion and make it based on a crown law, with cultural preferences coded in. Although we wont see that until ck3 due to the old gods.

First Off... I'm Mormon.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints (LDS for Short/Mormon is common in media) no longer supports the practice of Polygamy. That was over in like 1870ish. (I am not at home and don't have the date in front of me.) It has been a long time since The LDS Church has supported Polygamy.

Also, as the name of our church suggests we believe that Christ is the son of God and was sent here to suffer, bleed, and die for us. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the very basic definition of Christianity?

Lastly, If any of you have serious, legitimate questions for me, I can answer them on this thread, via PM, or even Email if you so choose. I will do my best to answer them, but since I am not perfect, and my knowledge is not perfect my answers may not be what you are looking for. But I am more than willing to point you in the right Direction for answers.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, not that I know of, not within CK2's timeline at least. I know for a gameplay reason that I would love to see fictional Heresies that can spring up if the right circumstances are met.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is there a reason as to why Indian rulers only get concubines, rather than additional wives?
Nope. Polygamy has been socially-acceptable in a huge number of societies, including India.

Well, the Brethren of the Free Spirit were a lay organisation that was reported to have very lax sexual standards, but that might've well have been propaganda aimed at a disallowed group.

Nope. Polygamy has been socially-acceptable in a huge number of societies, including India.
He's asking about why the Indians have concubines like the Norse instead of multiple wives like the Muslims.Being the wife of a ruler,even if the ruler has many other wives,is much higher in rank than being one of his mere concubines,who have no legal status.

One of the things that this game failed to implement is that the children from the primary wife always takes precedence over those of other wives and concubines in terms of succession.

It was tolerated to a existent not that it was liked, polygamy along with slavery and divorce was blamed by the Irish church for the Norman invasion of Ireland(But not the conflict over who should be high king that drew the pope and henry the second's attention) and n pagan converts and of course powerful Christian rulers like Charlemagne because who was going to tell off the emperor.

He's asking about why the Indians have concubines like the Norse instead of multiple wives like the Muslims.Being the wife of a ruler,even if the ruler has many other wives,is much higher in rank than being one of his mere concubines,who have no legal status.

One of the things that this game failed to implement is that the children from the primary wife always takes precedence over those of other wives and concubines in terms of succession.

You do know that polygamy (not just unofficial marriage or slave-wivehood) was well in practice amongst each of the in-game Indian religions, right? It may not have been quite as common as in the Vedic period, and was in slow decline, but polygamy remained in practice until much later.

"Concubinage" can only refer to cases where the marriage is not officially or legally recognised. The Hindu Marriage Act of 1955, I'm afraid, is well outside of the game's timeline.

Oh, and I'm not "he..."

Maybe if children born to the primary wife received a Porphyrogenitus-esque trait that gives them precedence over concubinage-children?

Well, the Brethren of the Free Spirit were a lay organisation that was reported to have very lax sexual standards, but that might've well have been propaganda aimed at a disallowed group.

Indeed, I think it's the Brethren of the Free Spirit, the Taborites, and the Picards (Beghards) which the OP is memorizing. Their possible practices of communal marriage or eschewing the marriage as a sacrament would have (somewhat unsurprisingly) interpreted by polygamy by their enemies - which allowed them to be tarnished with the heresiological label of Neo-Adamites.

Maybe if children born to the primary wife received a Porphyrogenitus-esque trait that gives them precedence over concubinage-children?
Indeed, and when the primary wife changes (through death, or through one of those Muslim events) you could have an event whereby she requests that her kids born before her promotion get the trait, with opinion boni/maluses.

I read about them once in an old history magazine. They fortified themselves in a city that got besieged by the Catholics. One of the details I remember is that their leader's last word as he was executed were something about putting his soul in Christ's hands. He got burned at the stake if I remember correctly. Does this ring any bells to anyone?