What's the hardest Paradox game to get into/learn/be good at.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This explains it. Sitting down for 5-10 hours watching HOI3 vids makes you understand the game reasonably well (besides you can automate many processes), while Vicky 2 is just a monster.
Never have learned from watching video; the concept feels alien to me. Far rather read written work, or go through a proper tutorial. The various wikis have been great.

Everyone learns in different ways. :)

Edit: Sorry for double post.

My first Paradox rts was Hearts of Iron 3. I absolutely loved it and picked it up the mechanics quite fast thanks to watching a youtube video (in-game tutorial was absolutely terrible).

I bought Vicky 2 and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to managing my country.... lol

Eu4 came next and that was easy to get into. CK2 was more complex but easy to get into because it felt like a natural progression from EU4.

I think it is probably the HoI serie. You have Victoria II which is not complicated, but rather have badly designed economy (though PDS seems to know what is wrong and it will probably be fixed in VIII, or at least one may hope).

EDIT: hope they fix France political party for VIII, seeing republican and royalist in coalition is just dumb... (because a party is called Republican, it does not mean it has to be right wing as in the US... especially when you put Royalist as liberals... and other flavour of Royalist as reactionary, and the radical as the super-liberal (forgot how it is called) [because PDS, radicals stand for Radical Republicans, so get some consistency...])

Last edited:
My problem with V2 is communist and anarcho-capitalists rising in Brazil mid 19th century.
I think that you being able to end slavery in Brazil as early as the 1840's( supported by a very large part of the population) is a bigger problem.

About the topic, HOI by far. Vicky 2 has problematic economics but the game is easy to get into. After dozens of hours into HOI i still get humiliated by Poland.

Last edited:
I have a good grasp on Victoria 2, CK2 and EU4 but I haven't really tried my hand at HOI, it looks so complicated.

Victoria was definitely the hardest, but after a few dozen hours I have a pretty good hang of it.