• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's fine as it is with the summer and winter events.

We might have got a different game where dlc added liturgical calendar & saints days but since we didn't... picking out one day for catholics would feel forced.

Last edited:
While I have to agree that Christian leaders celebrating Christmas is as good as any Muslim leaders celebrating Eid, this is not a political correctness.

One of the reason I could think of is that Christians don't view Christmas as highly as any Muslim will view Eid. Eid is a month long fasting, with a lot of special meaning for Muslim.

I have yet to play a Jewish character, so I don't know exactly how the game handles Passover. But I know that both Passover and Easter are lunar holidays, with no fixed date. While Easter would be the most appropriate Catholic holiday to make an annual event for, would it need to be a fixed date for the engine to work? Would Paradox actually have to sit there and figure out when Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and Easter occurred every year? Would people get upset if the holiday was handled incorrectly? Just curious.

Indeed if you wanted to include a Christian event it should be lent, the holiest period for Christians starting with ash Wednesday lasting for forty days ending with Easter. Originally it was celebrated as part of Passover before being separated by the Council of Nicaea in 325 which declared Christians should no longer celebrate Passover.

I have yet to play a Jewish character, so I don't know exactly how the game handles Passover. But I know that both Passover and Easter are lunar holidays, with no fixed date. While Easter would be the most appropriate Catholic holiday to make an annual event for, would it need to be a fixed date for the engine to work? Would Paradox actually have to sit there and figure out when Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and Easter occurred every year? Would people get upset if the holiday was handled incorrectly? Just curious.

The best way to handle it would be to just to include lent which has all those holidays allowing all three major Abrahamic religions to have their most important major religious periods.

... I would like to remind you that this game is called Crusader Kings. ...

You are aware that just not 3 days ago, Doomdark stated in an interview that the name was misleading and that he wishes it were something else because the actual game is not related to the title?

People using the name to validate their argument need to understand they are using an argument that is invalidated by Paradox themselves.

You are aware that just not 3 days ago, Doomdark stated in an interview that the name was misleading and that he wishes it were something else because the actual game is not related to the title?

People using the name to validate their argument need to understand they are using an argument that is invalidated by Paradox themselves.

That is what we call damage control, my friend. If Rajas of India was replaced with a DLC called, say, "Deus Vult" or something, then I bet he would have said different.

Anyway, I think Lent would also be interesting, like an event chain similar to Ramadan.

That is what we call damage control, my friend. If Rajas of India was replaced with a DLC called, say, "Deus Vult" or something, then I bet he would have said different.

Anyway, I think Lent would also be interesting, like an event chain similar to Ramadan.

Ya, I am sure that if they ever released a dlc with the Abraham-based faiths as the central focus, Doomdark would never have made that declaration. :eek:

My opinion on the religious holidays is that if they are going to do it, they should do it completely going into the depth of each major Rite and each heresy. Since there is so many aspects needed to be covered to do it right, they should perhaps wait until other more pressing concerns are addressed.

I know but it just seems it doesn't do justice that many of the other religions get their important religious periods but the Christians don't even get their most important religious period lent while the rest seem to have a least one of their important religious holiday/feast/fasting periods.

Ya, I am sure that if they ever released a dlc with the Abraham-based faiths as the central focus, Doomdark would never have made that declaration. :eek:

My opinion on the religious holidays is that if they are going to do it, they should do it completely going into the depth of each major Rite and each heresy. Since there is so many aspects needed to be covered to do it right, they should perhaps wait until other more pressing concerns are addressed.

I think it can be agreed that Sons of Abraham was weak on what it delivered.

The difficulty is a yearly event that would presumably given piety, which would give Christians a bit of a one up. It just seems like a micro-thing to add.

Ha, I'm not entirely sure but I think Santa Claus had pagan influences too.
Wasn't it Sinterklaus, whose helpful "elf" named "Black Pete" kidnapped bad children? Or was that later on?

Sinter Klaas (Dutch name for Saint Nicholas) was indeed the basis for Santa Claus, which originated with a poem written by a Hudson Valley Dutch man. Whether the Dutch traditions about Sinter Klaas had any pagan influences is beyond my knowledge. (And this is the first time I heard that Black Pete kidnapped bad children. But then I'm an American, despite my Dutch ancestry.)

Sinter Klaas (Dutch name for Saint Nicholas) was indeed the basis for Santa Claus, which originated with a poem written by a Hudson Valley Dutch man. Whether the Dutch traditions about Sinter Klaas had any pagan influences is beyond my knowledge. (And this is the first time I heard that Black Pete kidnapped bad children. But then I'm an American, despite my Dutch ancestry.)
I always thought that Zwarte Piet served a similar role as Krampus.

If you look up "Companions of Saint Nicholas" in Wikipedia, you can see a variety of different cultural figures who serve similar roles.