• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Montage: We need a montAARge!

Hata gotta prepare for the coming attacks
But a montage always gotta start with some setbacks
Like starving peasants all upset about their tax

2921302.jpg

Maybe the perfect thing to elevate ya
Set up a marriage to a fine little geisha
But sexy Seki’s daddy won’t let her date ya

2895073.jpg

Now we’re really moving time along
Need some scenes to show we’re getting strong
Cue Guitar solo in the montage song

2921305.jpg

Shh, it got heavy, everybody get ready
Call for the levies but keep the beat steady
Shh, it got heavy, but keep the beat steady, keep the beat steady
(you should always fade out at the end of a montAARge to make it seem like more time has passed...)

2895074.jpg

Last edited:
How good would you say this game is?

How many territorial changes in all of Japan has there been since the game started?

I'll try to work in something about that, Hosokawa is still the biggest clan but it only has about 11-12% of Japan.

How good would you say this game is?

This was a Sengoku Experiment because I hadn't even played it before making the AAR, so I was learning the game and trying to turn that around into a funny but still instructive series. I chose a simple one-province guy, but there isn't a whole lot to do at that level. A clan leader or daimyo is probably more interesting to start with, but I'm hoping the minor vassal gig can lead to a fun AAR. I enjoy the game, I would love to see a sequel that covers a wider historical period and with focus more on the dynasty simulation.

Gotta keep it movin', 'cause the Party Train don't stop for nothin'.

But seriously, I had wondered if Sengoku was worth checking out myself. It certainly looks like an interesting game, but I'd always thought of it as something intended as a prototype for CK2, and everyone knows that it's the prototypes that have the bugs and other kinks that have to be worked out before the main model enters production.

Since acquiring Sengoku, I have loaded it up on only a handful of times (and a small handful at that). This is therefore as new to me as I imagine it was to you at one point. :D

Nevertheless, you've got a very entertaining AAR going. I'll be doing my best to follow from here on in.

Omg, Sengoku AAR!

But seriously, I had wondered if Sengoku was worth checking out myself. It certainly looks like an interesting game, but I'd always thought of it as something intended as a prototype for CK2, and everyone knows that it's the prototypes that have the bugs and other kinks that have to be worked out before the main model enters production.

Since acquiring Sengoku, I have loaded it up on only a handful of times (and a small handful at that). This is therefore as new to me as I imagine it was to you at one point. :D

If you've played CK2 and you fire up Sengoku, the interface will be somewhat familiar, but everything does have that 'prototype' feel to it. Systems like the council, religion, construction, events... they all have a sort of rudimentary feel compared to CK2. On the other hand, the smaller map and the unique elements of Samurai culture make it a really fun alternative to CK2's European feudalism, if you can see past the warts.

Speaking of CK2, I will probably be trying to finish up my current game there before the patch comes out, then I'll go back to the AAR game, so it might be a while before the next update.

Good luck with your game then X!

Chapter 4: Siegin’ Season

Welcome (back) to feudal Japan!
2952819.jpg

One of the main reasons that so many samurai clans want territorial control is for the distribution rights. When a new artist comes along with some popular music and poetry, the clan leader always gets a producer credit and the rights to distribute related materials within his territory. A clan who controlled all of Japan would have national distribution, and thereby control of any income associated with sale or licensing. Clan Hosokawa has about 12% of the nation under vassalage, so Kunio is still better off being in league with them, but he knows that to be considered a true independent artist, he will someday need to form his own Ohira label.

I bet by now you’re probably wondering what kind of strange spectacle a samurai battle must be. Truly, there is nothing quite like it. The majority of the soldiers just go at it like in any other war, but when two skilled Samurappers meet on the field of battle, the mix of swordplay and lyrical beatdowns is almost overwhelming to watch. These fights are usually over quickly, but on occasion they can last several hours when two well-matched contestants face one another.

2952816.jpg

Sieges, on the other hand, are nothing like battles. Sure, there’s rhyming, but it isn’t face-to-face between two lords as they cross swords in concert. It’s more like a festival that goes on for months. A stage is built along with the siege platforms, and just about anyone who fancies themselves a poet can have a showing. The good acts open the show, and they might make an ensemble appearance at the end, but the rest is mostly filler. On occasion some local standout might get his breakout shot at a siege event, but the performances are largely forgettable. A siege in a backwater like Uwa isn’t going to draw much talent, which sat fine with Kunio. He would be able to start the show with some of his new material, maybe bring out his son as a special guest, then leave the rest of the siege to the up-and-comers.

Kunio checked that his blades were sharpened and shined, his armor was properly blinged out, and his grill was secure. He strode out on the stage and thanked his MC (he’s the man the one they call the Mario) for rousing up the crowd. His war drummers served him up a sick beat, he did his microphone check -- uh-1-2 like the King of Bismarck -- and then Kunio of House Ohira got this party started.

Comin’ straight outta Hata, a crazy kokujin named Koolio
Pack a lunch, cuz I’m takin’ you to school, yo.
I got a retinue, It will be wreckin’ you
I’m bettin’ you’re wettin’ yourself for lettin’ my crew through
And we ain’t sweatin’ you, So whatcha gonna do?
You’re overrated and dated, your fate is comin’ true
And here’s your destiny, should notta messed with me
Should notta tested me, cuz you got bested, see?

Kunio surveyed the scene, and it was clear to him that victory would be his in time. He still had more dope rhymes, but he would save them for a time when they might be needed. The siege of Uwa was just a stepping stone to greater accomplishments, and Kunio began to think ahead to his next conquest. Besides, it didn’t even appear that Kinsue was at home to defend his castle. With that, he dropped the mic and left the siege to the follow-up acts.

2952817.jpg

During his time backstage, Kunio bides his time with some diplomatic matters, arranging a marriage for his son, and jocking another wife for himself because that’s how players roll. He was also registered with Hattori Hanzo and was hoping this time someone would gift him with the last chef knife he needed to complete the Katana Kitchen Collection. Meanwhile, there wasn’t much interesting happening on the stage, some dude with a Casio keyboard was doing a sort of spoken word solo act, and the crowd wasn’t very enthused about it.

2895078.jpg

After the successful siege of Uwa, Kunio returned to his domain to find a visitor waiting. Apparently, Hosokawa sent his A&R guy to observe the siege and scout for new talent. Kunio wasn’t very impressed with the fellow, but showed him the respect due to an agent of the liege lord.

Kunio’s Master of Ceremonies also had some important news. Ohira Motokuni was progressing well in his poetry studies, but he wanted to try a new style that combined instruments of heavy metal with the traditional nip-hop sound. MC Mario objected to this, but the label rep thought it sounded like a great idea (which just confirmed Koolio’s suspicions that the man had no clue). Still, if this kind of sound could get his son a record deal, Kunio figured he might as well go along with it, for now. Maybe he could still convince his son to name the band something other than “Flaccid Ricecakez”.

Bonus Welcome:
[video=youtube;feycaf_7a0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feycaf_7a0g[/video]

Last edited:
Those small siege gigs might not be drawing huge crowds, but everybody's gotta pay their dues before they hit the main event, and it helps pay the bills. Still, looks like Kunio's moving up in the world. Think he'll make the top of the charts in his lifetime?

Who wouldn't want to listen to 'Flaccid Ricecakez'? I mean, I wouldn't, but there's bound to be someone out there who would. :D

This is all brilliantly entertaining, and I enjoyed the update greatly. I too am eager to see just how far Kunio's star will rise. Maybe he'll end up with a major record company of his own some day?

I have a feeling I got really lucky in this game, Kunio is basically East-coast affiliated but lives in Westside territory, if Kono or Takeda had come for him, it would have been over. Now he's got some breathing room since most of the armies have moved on. It will probably be a while before the Ohira folks can think about breaking off from Hosokawa, but I expect that if the dynasty continues, it will happen eventually. Let's just hope his son's little project doesn't dishonor the family name.

Anybody have an idea of where Ohira will strike next?

Last edited:
Chapter 5: Seigin’ Season (Tosa Remix)

2963920.jpg

After finally achieving his goal of capturing Uwa, Kunio knew exactly what his next step would be. He would reclaim the province of Tosa for Clan Hosokawa, which had been seized by Kono Norimichi. This would be no easy task – “Big Daddy” Kono was one of the original gangsters, former Yakuza who had become part of the noble rapping ruling class using a method known as “Hustle & Flow”. War with Kono’s crew would come at great cost, but taking back Tosa would bring much honor and glory to Clan Ohira.

2978347.jpg

After word got out about his performance in Uwa, Kunio was approached by a man called Ueda Iemori, claiming to be a Ronin samurai with an army willing to join the Ohira entourage. Kunio was suspicious of the man’s story (the dude had no horse and his naginata looked more like a fishing spear), but our hero was happy to add another 750 footsoldiers to his ranks. With his posse getting ever fatter (not in a broad way), Koolio rode out for Castle Tosa.

2963919.jpg

The siege of Tosa drew a larger crowd of spectators than Uwa, and Kunio’s opening performance got the audience suitably riled up thanks to some funky Call & Response. Eventually the walls were breached and footsoldiers surged through the gap to claim some booty. Fittingly, this took place during the Flaccid Ricecakez performance of a song called “Smash Things”. After Motokuni’s band finished their set, MC Mario proclaimed that the boy had now become a man, and that his training was complete. Kunio was disappointed that his son seemed to have inherited his mother’s naïve nature, but he at least had his father’s drive to succeed. There was also a minor dispute with Mario regarding the proceeds from the gate and some questionable management fees, but Kunio resolved it by reminding his Master of Ceremonies to always break off a proper chunk for the lord if he’s gonna get caught skimming.

Kunio’s son also had some pleasant news to relay after finishing his gig. His first wife had given birth to a son, which they named Kunio in honor of the child’s grandfather. Naturally, our hero was very pleased that the dynasty would continue with the likes of Lil’ Koolio. Since Motokuni had now proven himself as both a man and musician, Koolio decided to arrange another marriage for the young man. A young woman was selected from Usuki province, a west coast territory with a reputation for mellow attitudes, slow jams, ghostriding the whip (a strange form of dancing involving horses), not to mention quite a bit of hemp and poppy farming. For medicinal purposes.

2963915.jpg

When a samurai warrior claims enough territory for his clan, and has garnered enough respect from his liege, he can petition for a title called Daimyo. This is pronounced, “Damn, yo!”, as in, “Damn, yo, that attractive and successful gentleman is sincerely deserving of much respect and admiration!”. In this case, Kunio now controlled two of the three kori, or counties, within the kuni of Tosa. Kuni is one of those weird Japanese words, I guess the Europeans use the term “Ducky” instead, which seems equally silly. Especially when you find out that they call their Daimyos “dooks”. Crazy-ass quackers. Regardless, there was no way old man Hosokawa could refuse granting Kunio the Daimyo of Tosa title, especially since the liege hadn’t sent any forces to help reclaim the territory.

2978349.jpg

Unfortunately, while the Ohira retinue was besieging Tosa, Clan Kono decided to sneak attack Castle Hata. Koolio wasn’t having it, so once Tosa had been claimed, he rallied even more local soldiers and began the march back towards Hata province. The Kono armies wisely decided to abandon the siege and withdraw to their own territory, but Koolio was not about to forgive their transgression. He ordered his troops to pursue the small siege force, but now Kono Norimichi himself was marching back towards Tosa from his campaigns in the east, with an army more than twice the size of Koolio’s. Only a few soldiers had remained behind to garrison the newly captured castle, and the wall breach had yet to be repaired, so it was not likely to withstand any serious siege effort from Big Daddy Kono. Previously, Tosa had been granted to Norimichi's heir; capturing it had been an insult to both the clan leader and his son. While the Kono gang might have been able to overlook taking a small castle from some minor krunk punk in Uwa, they could not ignore kokojin Daimyo Ohira any longer.

ae557d5d-0628-4101-8cd9-8a6b614b90b1.jpg

Last edited:
WOOHOOO! An update! Awesome and funny chapter!

Nice to see Kunio going up in the world. Surely there's no stopping him from anything now? :D

A greatly amusing update, as ever. I'm looking forward to more.

My man, good work. Yep, good to see Kunio now a Daimyo. Must look at sengoku again, must admit have not played this little baby for a while. Good aar.

My man, good work. Yep, good to see Kunio now a Daimyo. Must look at sengoku again, must admit have not played this little baby for a while. Good aar.

Thanks, updates will probably be slow again due to the holidays. Still trying to figure out a good way to frame the next sequence of dramatic events to fit the narrative, if I have time I may put together another interlude-style look at some of the other major players in the empire.

Dead? :(