• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For those of you who are wondering what the value of theocracy vassals is, keep in mind that the "secular power" portion of the cardinal/papal score is based on realm size. Also asking the pope to nominate a bishop will also affect succession of your highest-ranked theocratic vassal.

In other words, if you want to see your son become pope before he turns 25, have a large prince-Archbishopric and nominate him to inherit it. I've had popes of my dynasty reign for 40-50+ years at a time this way.

...Yes, obviously. I don't think anybody ever claimed that it was optimal.

But you're raging at the developers for being lazy when you can't even think of a solution yourself. This is not an easy fix.

Also, why is 10% too restrictive? A tenth of a realm is a substantial portion - and probably a much higher amount than existed historically. The Kingdom of France in 1066 has room for an archbishopric or two at a 10% limit - the HRE has plenty of room for multiple archbishopric vassals.

I apologize for that bit of emotion there. However, remember the vassal limit coming with Charlemagne.

I would think a third to two-thirds would be a reasonable limit if there need be one.

Vassal limit's a fair point. They're definitely going to have to make sure stuff balances well with those changes, because that's a core gameplay thing that's going to have a lot of wide-reaching, likely unintentional effects. Depending on how it works out, it might even make the arbitrary limits entirely unnecessary, because you'll have to make your vassal theocracies large enough to be threats and cancel out the stability issue.

A third is the absolute upper limit I'd be willing to go with - feudal vassals in a feudal realm should be the primary type of holding.

Vassal limit's a fair point. They're definitely going to have to make sure stuff balances well with those changes, because that's a core gameplay thing that's going to have a lot of wide-reaching, likely unintentional effects. Depending on how it works out, it might even make the arbitrary limits entirely unnecessary, because you'll have to make your vassal theocracies large enough to be threats and cancel out the stability issue.

A third is the absolute upper limit I'd be willing to go with - feudal vassals in a feudal realm should be the primary type of holding.

I wonder how the HRE will handle vassal limit.