• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Commander666

Field Marshal
2 Badges
Nov 24, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
How is that interepted? That minister also gives "MP Growth + 10%" which is good for me. But who are the "foreign?" My puppets and allies? OK, so then will they consume 10% more MP with that minister of mine... or is it something to do with the MP that I get from the territories I conquored - the foreign meaning non-national provinces?

I have a lot of MP assigned to provinces, but not sure which provinces that might be - national or annexed or both. Currently my total holdings would be far more annexed provinces than national - if that helps answer if changing to that minister does not incur a negative MP regarding the "Foreign MP use +10%" because a negative 10 with a positive 10 on the MP growth might not making switching worthwhile.

Thanks!

I think it just applies to non-national territories you own (i.e. as Germany it would be non-national controlled and owned provinces in Poland, France, Denmark, Benelux etc).

Commander666 in a new germany game try to liberate UK73-England. Its a useful puppet-nation no need to controll those non-national provinces.

Commander666 in a new germany game try to liberate UK73-England. Its a useful puppet-nation no need to controll those non-national provinces.

OK, but I really enjoying (still) my game as Japan. Got one fantastic screen shot to post on that showing just how incredible the IJN is.

I think it just applies to non-national territories you own (i.e. as Germany it would be non-national controlled and owned provinces in Poland, France, Denmark, Benelux etc).

Yep, all non-national provinces you control.

OK, that begins to clarify things. But how does one interpret the "Foreign MP use +10%?" I would understand if it read "Foreign MP need" meaning that is a negative for sure. But I don't get the "use" bit.

Basically my qustion is to switch to that minister so I get more total MP. For sure I will with the "MP growth +10%". But does he also give more me MP gain on the non-national provinces, or does he give a MP loss there? If the latter, then one gain and one loss makes him a bad choice because I have so much annexed territory. I am fearing that his "Foreign MP use +10%" will cancel out the benefit of the "MP growth +10%"

HOWEVER, I also have 16 puppets including India and China.
Thanks again!

But how does one interpret the "Foreign MP use +10%?"

Manpower output("use") of nonnational provinces is increased by 10%. It is rather useful thing as Germany, Soviet union and any country on this main landmass. As UK and Japan the minister is near useless as +10% on 0 is still 0. As USA it is semiusefull.

Manpower output("use") of nonnational provinces is increased by 10%. It is rather useful thing as Germany, Soviet union and any country on this main landmass. As UK and Japan the minister is near useless as +10% on 0 is still 0. As USA it is semiusefull.

OK, I remember - the important thing about having your capital on the Asian land mass (excludes Japan). So, while Japan will have "nearly useless" benefit from that minister's attribute for "Foreign MP use +10%" Japan will still benefit from the other easier to understand attribute "MP growth +10%".

That's good enough to switch ministers as I have built too many GAR, MP is critical... and I planning to attack the Axis. It was rather neat how the German and Japanese armies met west of Moscow - but now we no longer friends. They're building a nuke!

THANKS! :D

Good luck attacking Germany! Please post screenshots of what will be an epic campaign if you can :)

Good luck attacking Germany! Please post screenshots of what will be an epic campaign if you can :)

OK, I will as soon as I overcome a current temporary publishing problem.

But, basically, I attacked Germany after liberating Turkey. That was early July 1949 by time I had the dissent eliminated.

The Wehrmacht fought well but the overwhelming numbers of Chinese and brigaded Indians succeeded in... well... overwhelming the Wehrmacht. Then the German AI was a bit inexperienced in allowing my rather easy gain of Konigsberg and Warsaw - where I stopped the conquest to deal with all the aircraft upgrading; and liberate more puppets as my MP is far too low to build any more garrisons.

Later I only slightly advanced the front line so now at December 1949 the Japanese line includes Danzig and Lodz (to have those airports) and runs to Styrj where it turns to run through the mountains of Romania, all of Bulgaria and ends at Tirana. In Italy I went up as far as Rome; and then stopped.

I stopped because of TC overload and to deal with dissent from liberating. Also the Luftwaffe has gotten decisively nastier - so much that I fear getting closer to their remaining airbases (although with their recent techs achieved and upgrading done I have Messerschmitts with the range to fly all around me anyway).

However, I am just upgrading the last of my Improved Turbojet FTR-VI and have decided to try to destroy the Luftwaffe before anymore land advances happen. But the AI Luftwaffe has been unbelievably creative in actually setting up successfully "fighter baiting" and really hurting me. That AI has also correctly anticipated some of the "fighter traps" I set up; and avoided most of them.

Soon I will switch to a new strategy - bombing Berlin going in with 8 of the most modern FTR, 4 STR and 4 TACs while 12 more FTR and 4 INT just guard the flight path along the route to Berlin. Frankly, I'm most frightened by what may be the disastrous outcome of this bold strategy to try to find the German nuclear reactor as German research is now working on a fission bomb. But - according to my 22 spies -Germany still does not have a Wunder Weapon which my spies might try to sabotage.

But I was shocked while transporting GAR to Norway (which I now occupy) to suddenly discover the Kreigsmarine launched three CVs (and as modern as the IJN's best). The Japanese TPs ran for port in a panic - and bewailed the fact that not any of Japan's CTFs were even remotely close by. Later I did have luck finding the German CVs with my carriers, but only sank one.

Meanwhile the British FTRs based in England are teaching my NAV out of Iceland (another puppet) that we do not have free roam of the North Sea even if we are seeking to destroy a mutual enemy. And the Italians are using their NAV to bomb mercilessly my convoys in the Med because they know I can't spare any fighters to chase after them because I don't have enough fighters just tackling the Luftwaffe who has a 2:1 aircraft advantage over the Japanese air force. But Germany is at least 8 fighter air doctrines behind right now (and possibly it is 12). However, as I got all of them, the only thing that can happen next is that they catch up.

But I think I may be more successful than I may realize with my land strategy after I stopped the advance. That has seen repeated attacks on the German line using my Chinese and Indians to burn up German MP. So, while I will not advance to avoid province repair, I'm letting the battles run as long as possible (no interdiction) while I watch the German strength deteriorate. Meanwhile my puppets quickly replace their MP losses. I'm hoping that damaging the Wehrmacht units will somehow result in the Luftwaffe not replacing it's MP losses quick enough so my air force might gain the upper hand.

Currently the race is to see who gets Supersonic tech first; and so far we are exactly at same progress. But the real factor will probably be who actually gets their FTR upgraded to Supersonic first. Currently, as far as I know – while Germany has achieved FTR-6 tech long ago – my new recently upgraded FTR-6’s are finding only Luftwaffe FTR-5’s (which is a nice advantage as long as they don’t jump me at 2:1 odds).

So it continues to be a great game.

I guess a screen shot would have been worth a thousand words. But I enjoy writing and hope you don't mind reading long post. :)

Last edited:
So it continues to be a great game.
Makes for a great read too!

I guess a screen shot would have been worth a thousand words. But I enjoy writing and hope you don't mind reading long post. :)
Screenshots do add to it, but I always enjoyed reading the written part of your AARs, and this little snippet too.

Makes for a great read too!

Screenshots do add to it, but I always enjoyed reading the written part of your AARs, and this little snippet too.

Well, thank you, Mr_BOnarpte. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Yes, those were the good old days - back when I was doing "mini-AARs".

As a short update on this game, I will just say that none of my plans for the conquest worked exactly as I had envisioned. Not sure who was the most destructive enemy - the Luftwaffe or, surprisingly, the Italian air force. I'm still chasing after fighters flying over my lines - when I had hoped to have enough air dominance to at least be flying over Germany. Repairing my aircraft has greatly affected all planning.

So in spring 1950 I launched a new ground offensive and trapped quite a lot of divisions in Poland; and Italy will soon be annexed like all the other Axis minors were. Mostly this was the best solution to changing who owns which good airbases.

Germany continues to struggle on - attacking me any place my line is weakest. Soon I hope to stop this horrible ground war by positioning to dissuade any more attacks... and get to what I wanted to do - bomb Germany looking for the nuclear reactor I'm sure they have somewhere.

The game has a neat design built into it which continues to be high province repair and revolt risk being a good brake to conquest as I am concentrating a lot on creating puppets (but more dissent to reduce) and keeping the map "green".

But the supply convoys are extremely frustrating; and I have now tried every option - manual, semi-auto, and full auto. It was hard to change the fact that suddenly Leningrad became the main supply depot (I don't have Germany or the Kattegat straits). This change just happened even though, of course, I not land anybody in the Baltic anywhere. Got no transports there.

Rather, it seems that landing some troop elsewhere in the Mediterranean or Black Sea can cause the supply depot at Chongyin (or Karachi) to just change to anywhere else even though there are hundreds of supplies stockpiled in the main depots. Sometimes it seems tied to liberating nations but with no rhyme or reason I can find. It definitely results from the resources in a newly liberated country migrating to any distant port - be it logical or otherwise.

But at same time it results in the supply draw getting changed. The auto just stops using for days the well stocked supply depots already set up while it tries to supply several hundred divisions for an hour or two at a time by drawing variously from any one of the many other mini depots all around (due to any enclave's factories setting up their own little supply depots).

Sometimes this goes as far as simply not supplying the troops for most of a day - while the main set up depots with lots of supplies in them just are not used (ignored). Now the unit's reserves dwindle, and battle details reflect the "short of supply". Finally, once the situation rectifies, then suddenly ~600-800 supply convoys/day are needed for a few days to make good the depleted unit stockpiles. And I simply cannot avoid these regular crises regardless what option I use for the convoy management.

Makes me want to build a permanent bridge from Japan to Korea! :D

That would also increase daily manpower by ~20%.

That would be greatly appreciated since I am at less than 10 MP. And while it is an exploit, I have been "inheriting" Chinese and some other puppet troops to keep my MP from hitting zero due to the Luftwaffe causing me serious losses.

For those who don't know, to inherit a puppet or alliance member land division, do the following:
a) Transport unit to your national or controlled province.
b) There expedition the unit to you.
c) Sometime later pick up that unit with TP belonging to your puppet or ally, and transport unit to their country.

Upon landing, the unit will usually change ownership from the original to you. Then you can disband it to get sorely needed MP.

The main principle involved is that - upon landing and cancelling the expedition flag - control returns to the country that last had control... which was you since you had it expeditioned to you back in your province before it was transported.

NOTE that this can sometimes also work using your own transport and transporting unit from your soil to any puppet or ally soil so making it easier if there is not a convenient arrangement of existing TPs belonging to your friends or a convenient proximity of your soil to a puppet’s or ally's soil.

BUT beware that often it fails for no apparent reason. Certainly it helps to make sure unit you intend to inherit is fully orged and so are the TPs used. It seems to work best if a true pure accident; and I once lost 3 marines having them expeditioned to country they were at, and then transporting them with some alliance TPs to my soil. Upon landing I was shocked that they now belonged to last country they were at.

HOWEVER, while it may work once, repeating the identical circumstances soon after probably results in unit retaining their true original ownership. It is as if the AI senses player is now committing purposeful exploit... and it simply refuses to work even though all was identical to previous successful attempt.

At that point I try returning the unit I wish to inherit back to my soil, let it reorg, and try again but using different alliance member TP, or try landing at different location in earlier used country for the landing, or land in different alliance country. This can result in a great waste of time and fruitless attempts, although it continues to variously work or fail for no apparent differences I can figure out except my idea that the AI definitely permits it as a true error (like losing all your marines) but seems reluctant to support the exploit if repeated seriously often.

SO WHAT IS THE BIGGER EXPLOIT?

Shall we create a permanent bridge from Fukuoka to Busan to instantly overcome all of Japan's frustrations with changing supply depots due to landing reinforcements on the Chinese mainland; and anywhere further as conquest expands the Imperial realm? That also eliminates any supply shortages, saves hundreds of convoys, and eliminates all concerns, concentration and frustrations trying to work convoys in a complicated war scenario with many puppets cutting up remaining Japanese annexed and controlled territory into numerous separate enclaves. The problem is that each enclave has its own depot that creates small supply amounts, but these "rouge depots" don't cooperate with the main supply depot at Busan to the point that sometimes for no apparent reason Busan just stops being used (even though it is well stockpiled) and then begins a terrible situation of "supply bouncing a few hours each from all the other inadequate depots except Busan" to the point that troops deplete their onboard stockpiles until the situation somehow regains normalcy any number of days or even a week later? Literally, it becomes a true convoy nightmare.

But, as Pang pointed out, if Japan is connected to the Asian mainland then Japan instantly gets a huge extra daily MP which probably will suffice to keep MP above critical levels. This is the biggest possible wind wall far exceeding the advantage of no convoys.

Seems to me that the land connection solving all problems is the true exploit... and attempting to deal with the concerns, failures and sometimes occasional success of inheriting some expedition troop to avoid zero MP is hardly an exploit but simply a desperate act justifiable simply on account of the brilliance used to make it occasionally work. :D

If Japan was meant to be connected to Busan, would the game designers not have done so? :laugh:

Last edited: