• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Finnish

A man of science and culture.
74 Badges
Sep 4, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
Another save ruined by bullshit adventurers. I invaded a realm after years of planning, spent 5k gold on mercenaries, won huge battles against all odds and what do I get as a reward? An adventurer invasion right in the face. The brother of the queen who ruled the enemy state invaded just before the queen surrendered, and of course his invasion carried on to me. Can't assassinate adventurers in middle of war, and by then I had 12k men in the field which included every mercenary group in India. What did he have? 30k. He hopped the floor with me of course, and I'm back at square one. Nay, even below square one.

I'm not even mad, I'm just sick of the event troop bullshit ruining almost every game I've had in past few weeks. I wouldn't quit if the event troops disbanded afterwards but they don't, now my only neighbor in the save is a massive state with over 50k troops against my 8k. After spending all this time to defeat a state whose army outnumbered me almost two-to-one I feel cheated, slapped in the face.

I'll see if Paradox will ever fix this atrocious feature, though given how long it's been around now I doubt that'll be the case.

I'll see if Paradox will ever fix this atrocious feature, though given how long it's been around now I doubt that'll be the case.

I'm especially annoyed by random guys having claims to entire kingdoms and going on adventure. At the very least these adventurers should have some claims to actual titles, rather than me noticing that vassal king I setup to cover one of my borders is suddenly being assaulted by a foreigner with wrong religion, like when I once had some Catholic Norse from Sweden coming to conquer duchy of Sistan from me! (That's de-jure Balochstan btw).

Alternatively, if there is faction of "dude x for y" (you know, actual claim), then number of troops spawning from "Large band of opportunists" should be directly proportionate to the amount of money said guy happens to have and would simulate his armies, perhaps being even led by him, rather than specific adventurer threat.

I am still waiting to start a proper play-through. First I waited 3 months after RoI was released. And now I'm awaiting a patch that says how these adventurers are removed., or at least nerfed. If I have to wait another few months after Charlemagne is released, I'll stop following CK2. I'll just revert to an older version, and find a couple of mods. No sense in breaking the game further.

Wasn't there a post like a week ago that was saying all it takes is one line of code to stop adventurers being so large? I mean maybe you should look into that. 10/10 on the dramatic title by the way :laugh:

I don't know how you guys do, I have 500 hours of CK2 and never have adventurers been more than a mild annoyance. Worst case scenario they set me back a couple generations, their event-spawned troops die out and I retake my land. The game spans through six centuries and I'm usually done in less than two, there's plenty of time to deal with it and it adds some flavor.

You're a horrible player that's all, no need to go in a tantrum just because you're handicapped by your own limitations.

It's a joke, calm down.

Half of the fun with the game is being set back by events like adventures. It enhances the feeling of accomplishment when you spend the next generations striving to regain your lost lands, and finally get it back.

And some are surprised when people make posts like "Fix damn game before working on next DLC"

open some_text_adventurers_something.txt
add cannot_inherit = yes or disband on_peace = yes
???
profit! because less people ragequit, and keep buying DLCs

And some are surprised when people make posts like "Fix damn game before working on next DLC"

open some_text_adventurers_something.txt
add cannot_inherit = yes or disband on_peace = yes
???
profit! because less people ragequit, and keep buying DLCs
Not everyone is versatile in modding....
And there are issues that follow every expansion. Who knows what monstrosity will Charlemagne bring.

Yeah, adventurers can be fixed but that just makes it worse in my opinion.

Half of the fun with the game is being set back by events like adventures. It enhances the feeling of accomplishment when you spend the next generations striving to regain your lost lands, and finally get it back.
In theory, but the problem is 1) the bullshit way you lose your troops, to event troops that don't make sense when they spawn out of nothing and outnumber even the greatest empires of the world 2) the free and eternal nature of said event troops.

I have lost lands to factions and foreign states and I'm okay with that and I agree that it's good that you get knocked down every now and then. But not when it's done by stupid magic armies from space.

I bet there is a mod that nerfs them.

I bet there is a mod that nerfs them.
I played HIP for a while, which I deem the only worthwhile mod for myself, but it doesn't have India and has enough bugs so that it corrupted my save. Turns out it's a bad idea to check when someone has died in personal combat.

Also, I have become a believer in playing games the way they were meant to.

Another save ruined by bullshit adventurers. I invaded a realm after years of planning, spent 5k gold on mercenaries, won huge battles against all odds and what do I get as a reward? An adventurer invasion right in the face. The brother of the queen who ruled the enemy state invaded just before the queen surrendered, and of course his invasion carried on to me. Can't assassinate adventurers in middle of war, and by then I had 12k men in the field which included every mercenary group in India. What did he have? 30k. He hopped the floor with me of course, and I'm back at square one. Nay, even below square one.

I'm not even mad, I'm just sick of the event troop bullshit ruining almost every game I've had in past few weeks. I wouldn't quit if the event troops disbanded afterwards but they don't, now my only neighbor in the save is a massive state with over 50k troops against my 8k. After spending all this time to defeat a state whose army outnumbered me almost two-to-one I feel cheated, slapped in the face.

This one seems legitimate to me. You've invaded to steal his sister's throne, and he's taken the opportunity to raise an army and come and crush you into oblivion whilst also and coincidentally deposing his sister.

The reasoning behind retaining the troops after an invasion is well trodden - it's to enable the adventurer to keep the land when they often end up wrong culture/religion with recently conquered penalties for the whole kingdom they've just taken. If they didn't, then you'd have equally amounts of complaining that "adventurers never succeed", or that "anything an adventurer does is wiped away in months after the invasion" between the religious revolts, vassal revolts, other kingdoms invading for any juicy and essentially undefended land. When you conquer an area normally you at least have your previous homeland and any vassals that don't hate you to provide some troops to deal with revolts, plus you tend to be swallowing smaller pieces, or persuing a claim for someone who will then like you, and thus provide troops to protect their new land - as soon as they have any.

I played HIP for a while, which I deem the only worthwhile mod for myself, but it doesn't have India and has enough bugs so that it corrupted my save. Turns out it's a bad idea to check when someone has died in personal combat.

So, you want to change the way the game works to suit yourself - and impose this change on other people, since it also affects the invasion you can do as a player if you're Norse, and possibly other pagan types, as well as any start where you're playing an invader (Sons of Loðbrok, William the Conqueror, 867 invasion of Hungary, (I think) the Mongol bookmark) - but believe in playing games the way they were meant to be?

It does have India as long as you don't install the map mod.
They have fixed the personal combat thing, atleast it has worked for me.

I don't know how you guys do, I have 500 hours of CK2 and never have adventurers been more than a mild annoyance. Worst case scenario they set me back a couple generations, their event-spawned troops die out and I retake my land. The game spans through six centuries and I'm usually done in less than two, there's plenty of time to deal with it and it adds some flavor.

I'm assuming you are a conquering/ overly aggressive type of player that grabs claims / forges claims as much as possible to grow rather large quickly. Adventures are pretty well a free 500 gold in this case once you cross a certain threshold of levies/ funds per month etc. BUT for the RP / content with 1 small kingdom type player the current adventure scaling completely ends the game for them. Many times personally I've had Ironman games stopped before even 900's to a 30k host army on a freshly born kingdom of say.. Aragon, this host had not one claim in the area and my max levies/ personal troops/ retinue would be 10k .. even with those odds it is unwinnable no matter how much you get good generals and the mountain areas etc to defend. Only a few times have I seen an 8k host attack me when my levies are more like 4k etc.. All for the competition but really? there needs to be bounderies on these for the casual players ( I say that as in the not so aggressive conquer the world asap types) with-out removing them completely from the game.

And I REALLY hope with the new DLC since they are getting rid of assassinations that they take a really hard look at this mechanic before release.. imo it will be pretty game breaking to lose even more control over these random hosts.

I'm not going to quit over it, but this is a terrible feature, imho. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so overpowered. Where are they getting all those men from anyway? And how are they marching halfway across a continent with them? It's an immersion breaker and just a slap in the face to be randomly hit with such an unbeatable foe after you worked hard to accumulate territory.

Until this is fixed, I will do what I always do: open the console and insta kill as soon as the event pops. No mercy. No guilt. No remorse.

Please fix this, P'Dox.

Many times personally I've had Ironman games stopped before even 900's to a 30k host army on a freshly born kingdom of say.. Aragon, this host had not one claim in the area and my max levies/ personal troops/ retinue would be 10k .. even with those odds it is unwinnable no matter how much you get good generals and the mountain areas etc to defend. Only a few times have I seen an 8k host attack me when my levies are more like 4k etc.. All for the competition but really? there needs to be bounderies on these for the casual players ( I say that as in the not so aggressive conquer the world asap types) with-out removing them completely from the game.

If there's an adventurer coming your way who has claims to all of your land and you know you can't fight him off, try to get land elsewhere ASAP and build from there once he takes your starting territory away. Come on guys, CK2 is a really open strategy game, not a peaceful sandbox. Sometimes you have to adapt. I feel like a lot of people give up instead of looking for solutions, that's why they get frustrated. You don't need to be a huge blob to survive a host.