• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's another idea. Iceland could start as a group of irish monks with a bishopric and around the time that the norse actually arrived the bishop would get a decision to leave the island and would immediately be replaced by a randomly generated norse character, the county would become norse/norse, and the bishoprics would become baronies.

Obviously there would also be a similar event for if the norse invade in game.

I'm not sure one type of holding can become another.

Well, it's expected that they're going to be conquered by the Norse, correct? Usually, if a Norse (in the game) conquers a county, the county doesn't remain a bishopric.

Well, it's expected that they're going to be conquered by the Norse, correct? Usually, if a Norse (in the game) conquers a county, the county doesn't remain a bishopric.

That's probably because it has a barony too. If it was a bishopric and no other holding, it'd be different.

Seems simple enough to resolve: Iceland starts as a minimalist Irish bishopric, then if/when the Age of Vikings kicks off, any Norse raiders get a prompt giving the option to fire a colonisation event, at a decent cost, replacing the Irish setup with a base-level Norse tribal holding.

Last edited:
In that case, there's nothing to really be worried about.

Hmm? The net result would be Iceland being ruled by a Norse priest. The solution I suspect would be for them to instantly build a barony there and switch to it as their capital.

It can per event... It happens with Rome ;)

No, it switches the names of a Barony and a Bishopric, gives the Bishopric to someone random, makes the Barony the primary holding and assigns it to the person who took the decision.

Iceland isn't all that important when you consider the other parts of the game we need paradox to get right (like ensuring that the Abbablob doesn't conquer the world in 9/10 games). It is easier to pretend that the Vikings were already kind of in Iceland. Though if they did make it a bunch of Irish monks it would be interesting to rush to conquer all of Ireland as an Irish king and then make Greater Ireland by absorbing Iceland.

Seems simple enough to resolve: Iceland starts as a minimalist Irish bishopric, then if/when the Age of Vikings kicks off, any Norse raiders get a prompt giving the option to fire a colonisation event, at a decent cost, replacing the Irish setup with a base-level Norse tribal holding.

Since Ireland starts as tribal it would make more sense to just have Iceland as tribal and ruled by the Irish, then conquered by the Norse and Norseified by decision. Easy, no effort solution.

No, it switches the names of a Barony and a Bishopric, gives the Bishopric to someone random, makes the Barony the primary holding and assigns it to the person who took the decision.

This, it would mess it up. If it started as a bishopric, then because there would probably be no castle built it would almost definitely stay that way for the entire game, unless the player interacted to change it. If I remember right, it was a really tiny colony at that, I think something like 25 people. Those 25 people holding 2 bishoprics could raise a levy of what a couple hundred?

Alternatively, extend the map west to include Greenland and Vinland :p

Then we'd need skraelings with tribal holdings. Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome, but at that point there is no feudalism there. Granted, I imagine that if the natives were to develop into larger cities and federations, then they would use a system similar to feudalism. The way of succession might be a decent amount different though.

Other solution for the event and what would happening:
Event creates a new castle holding in the iceland provinces.
Event makes the new holding the capital and deleted the church holding.

We're talking about maybe a dozen or two Irish monks (I was under the impression this hadn't been confirmed) who were probably all dead by the time the Norse settlers arrived. The most realistic option would be to have it uninhabited until an event fires to make it a county. Failing that, it's simpler to just leave it Norse.

BIshoprics are monastric too... Look how many bishopric holdings are in reality monasteries... ;)

Would be nice to see some distinction between the two in upcoming DLCs, I suppose. This could be useful to both Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Would be nice to see some distinction between the two in upcoming DLCs, I suppose. This could be useful to both Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Yes. The whole bishop system should be revorked. I personally would like a own Church Map which represent Church hierarchy. with own Church provinces/archbishoprics (church duchies) to make a split between the spiritual and the seclastical level of the princebishoprics. Church hierarchy would fit very well into the titles.

Baronies = Monasteries
Counties = Bishoprics
Duchies = Archbishoprics
Kingdoms = Primate
Empire = Pope

So we could have Archbishops with just a barony. Or Monasteries with a county. This would be more historical then just have every church holding as a bishop and every county as an archbishop (there were so many landed bishops and even abbeys!).

We're talking about maybe a dozen or two Irish monks (I was under the impression this hadn't been confirmed) who were probably all dead by the time the Norse settlers arrived. The most realistic option would be to have it uninhabited until an event fires to make it a county. Failing that, it's simpler to just leave it Norse.
quite

But we don't have a system for "uninhabited". Unless we go for the mod system in which you basically fight a pack of wolves to take control of empty provinces.