• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

joespaniel

Old Soldier
3 Badges
Aug 14, 2003
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
I was reading about someone's CV / DD fleet being savaged by a BB - BC / CL fleet that managed to close the distance to gun range.

That is one of the reasons I like to have some CAs protecting my carriers.

Another reason I like to have some extra capital ships with carriers is that in AoD (1.07, not sure about 1.08) naval combat, for some reason, when two carrier fleets engage at long range, it seems that the screening ships (CL, DD) do not get targeted, at all. Having those CAs in the CTF helps soak up some of the attacks. Obviously, pilots would want to attack the big ships, but I don't understand why screens seems to end the battles completely unscathed. Shouldn't some attacks be targeted at screens?

Also, CAG and NAV aircraft should be fired on by CLs before they can attack CVs and other capital ships (just like land based flak), as the main purpose of CLs in a CTF is to protect the group with AA fire. Along those same lines, DDs should attempt to close with enemy capital ships and fire torpedoes in a SAG encounter.

I'm curious to know is if CAGs, when they attack, are modeled to have effects as naval (ships with guns) or air (air division) units?

You assume correctly. One of AoD's many bizarre 'features'!

Another reason I like to have some extra capital ships with carriers is that in AoD (1.07, not sure about 1.08) naval combat, for some reason, when two carrier fleets engage at long range, it seems that the screening ships (CL, DD) do not get targeted, at all. Having those CAs in the CTF helps soak up some of the attacks. Obviously, pilots would want to attack the big ships, but I don't understand why screens seems to end the battles completely unscathed. Shouldn't some attacks be targeted at screens?

The screens are targeted once no (detected) capital ships are left. I see no reason why CV-CAG should prefer attacking small ships over attacking capital ships. Capital ships have much deadlier (surface) weapons than screens, so they have to be taken out of (active) battle first. The better question might be why regular capital donnot concentrate their fire on capital ships aswell. That might because their ability to detect and hit other ships is more limited. Thus they have to use the opportunities that emerge. It is better to hit screens than to hit nothing.

The AI seems to concentrate it's fire on my capitals more often than the reverse.

Also got to love when that little indicator dot goes from green to red, denoting that one of your ships is targeting a friendly.

research naval doctrines and appoint good leades and you will barely see that red icon :)
once i tried with natchi a cv fleet, no doctrines and skill1 admiral.... i just killed myself basically :)

Shouldn't LCAGs have the same range as CAGs?

Might be something to address in the 1.09 patch.

about targetting, from what i recall it was made so that carriers targetted capital ships first then shot at screens after, other capital ships and screens target screens first; because they are screening the capital ships and then target the capitals once the screens 'have been reduced' far enough to allow direct targetting of the other sides capitals.

i dont recall just how the screens fare against air attack from nav and whether or not they get to fire at attacking air units, but i do know that carriers (and carriers themselves) air group function as any other battleship on the attack and defence (hoi2 engine unfortunately).

also it is a good idea to keep a cruiser or battleship screening fleet near to where your carriers are operating as faster (cruiser) fleets will be able to catch up to early carriers, keeping some cruisers with the carriers reduce their effectivity through stacking penalties but it is basically a question of chance and strategy as to the compositions... i prefere keeping a light carrier around with my main carriers as they tend(but not always and yes they dont have the range to strike back though they should) to absorb other carrier attacks on them and provide spotting bonusses etc

i dont recall just how the screens fare against air attack from nav and whether or not they get to fire at attacking air units, but i do know that carriers (and carriers themselves) air group function as any other battleship on the attack and defence (hoi2 engine unfortunately).

The engine does not differ between carriers, capitals, screns or subs for that matter. air attack is the value at which naval divisions attack air units. Light cruisers are good at this. Air defence is the value at which naval divisios defend against air units. The problem would seem to be that for defence only that value counts while IRL light cruiser were somewhat designed to keep bombers at distance and thus reduce their abilty to attack the capital ships.

I see no reason why CV-CAG should prefer attacking small ships over attacking capital ships.

In reality the reason why CV-CAG would need to target screens is because otherwise the torpedo bombers have to fly a few meters overhead the screens during their bombing run approach towards the capital ships. And this may not be a pleasant experience when the screens are late war models fully loaded with AA guns and Dual-Purporse guns of all calibers targeting the slowflying bombers lining up for attack with a 1000kg explosive device strapped underneath!