• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ekorovin

Lt. General
6 Badges
Jun 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
700px-Bagratuni_flag.svg.png

This is what prince of princes, archon of archons, ishkhanats ishkhan of Armenia Ashot of house Bagratuni holds now:

D3eoEyc.jpg

And this is what belonged to takavor Tigran of house Artaxiad in the days long gone:

603px-Maps_of_the_Armenian_Empire_of_Tigranes.gif

What was once will be again. Great Armenia from Kura to Jordan and from Caspian to Mediterranean will rise again! Or will it?

This is my new AAR in which I will try and restore the kingdom of Armenia in its largest borders. I'm not very well versed in Armenian history, so if you see any mistakes - don't hesitate to tell me so. The same goes for writing - English is not my native language, so sometimes I write weirdly. My other AAR, Fatimid one, is not abandoned, but I will consider this one as primary. Thank you.

830px-Artaxiad.svg.png

Table of Contents

1. Overview of Armenia – Noble Houses of Armenia – Neighbors of Armenia – Ashot's Vow

2. Sedition of Aristocracy – Tornik Bagratuni – The Lori Campaign – Battle of Kars – Aftermath

3. Eunuch of Karin – Murder of Grigor Torniki – War between Tornik and Vasak of Suenik – Death of Tornik – Smbat Bagratuni

4. War with Arcruni and Arranshahik - Blinding of Aphanasia and Grigor - What Befallen Arcruni and Arranshahik - Fate of Arran - War with Yazidids - War with Khazars - Succession

5. Girls' War - Pechenegs - Khan Kortan - Arab Wars - Justanids - Siran's coming of age.

6. Travel to Crimea – overview of Pecheneg Khanate – Kortan-Khan – How Siran met Kwassaana – Story of Kwassaana

7.Pilgrimage - Secession of Tayk - Kortan's death - Restoration of Borders - Scarlet Queen - Armenia from Caspian to Mediterranean - Siran's death - Partition of Armenia.

List of Rulers of Armenia (from 867), player-controlled in bold:

Ashot IV Bagratuni (820-871), ishkhan ishkhanats in 862-868, overthrown and castrated by his cousin, Tornik.
Tornik Bagratuni (840-870), ishkhan ishkhanats in 868-870, murdered by Ashot.
Abirad Bagratuni (869-877), ishkhan ishkhanats in 870-877, Tornik's infant son, murdered by his military commander Smbat, Ashot's son.
Smbat IV Bagratuni (850-888), ishkhan ishkhanats in 877-888, died of severe stress.
Siran Bagratuni (885-920), princess of princes in 888-920 , Smbat's daughter, died of gonorrhea.
Manuel Bagratuni (906- ), ishkhan ishkhanats in 920- , Siran's son.

Last edited:
Bevare of the the Abbasids and the Greeks!

But this sounds very interesting so you know:

Subbed.

Chapter 1

Overview of Armenia – Noble Houses of Armenia – Neighbors of Armenia – Ashot's Vow

In the year 312 by Armenian calendar (863 AD) sparapet (hereditary supreme military commander) of Armenia Ashot Bagratuni defeated the coalition of Muslim emirs in a battle of Karasounk, which effectively ended Arab dominion over Armenia. Proclaimed by an assembly of Armenian princes and Catholicos of all Armenians as ishkhan of Armenia, Ashot was reluctantly recognized as an independent ruler by both Caliph in Bagdad and Emperor in Constantinople. Former granted him a title of “prince of princes” of Armenia, while the latter the title of “archon of archons.”

lVgQOG1.jpg

Ashot found himself ruling over the lands of fiercely independent feudal houses: Pahlavuni, boasting descent from royal house of Parthia of old, Artsruni, rulers of Vasparukan principality, member of their house once ruled ERE as emperor Leo V, Syunik and Arranshahik, the latter claiming to be shahs in their homeland of Arran, while the former is satisfied with being just princes, as long as their absolute authority in their lands isn’t contested.
And like the inner politics is not enough, newly independent state truly is surrounded by enemies.

It goes without saying that both Constantinople and Baghdad don’t plan to let Armenia in peace, but even without these empires, there are more than enough enemies, poised to strike in a moment of weakness.

D3eoEyc.jpg

In the east and south the grandson of Yazid al-Shaibani, caliphal governor of Armenia, Haytham, used the turmoil of anarchy at Samarra to break free and accepted the ancient Persian title of Shirvanshah. No longer satisfied with a tribal ways of his Arab ancestors, he seeks to create new Persian Islamic empire.

In the west Abu’l Ward of Kaysite clan, on the other hand, is perfectly happy with the nomadic ways of his Banu Sulaym tribe. Send by caliphs to restore Arabic rule in Armenia, Kaysites instead carved out nice little kingdom for themselves, centered in Manzikert. Abu’l Ward is not going to follow the Caliph and accept Ashot as a ruler of Armenia, he knows someone way better suited for the job, like himself.

Behind the Kaysite land lays the lands of Kurdish Marwanid dynasty. Not long ago their leader was just a highwayman in Mosul, who used his loot, luck and money to capture the city of Diyarbakyr, none other, but an ancient Armenian capital of Tigranakert.

And finally to the north is Georgia, ruled by a side branch of house Bagratuni, who nevertheless, abandoned the true ways of Apostolic Church in favor of Greek Orthodoxy. Yet he is the only one neighbor, who is not outright hostile.

In the year of 867, Ashot married his son and heir, Smbat, to a Greek noblewoman, a move seen as an insult by many Armenian noble families. He sent an embassy to Constantinople with lavish gifts to try and create an alliance against Muslim princes, though his most trusted spies followed the embassy, poised to steal as much secrets of Romans as they can.

A5buH6x.jpg

In the same year Ashot was approached by a non-descript monk after church service. The monk presented the prince with a book, written by himself, on a subject of ancient Armenian history, specifically the exploits of the great king Tigran and the empire he built.

bnw9Cxm.jpg

It is said, that Ashot was lost in a book for weeks, reading and re-reading it, and he was not the same ever since. In the holiest of places, Saint Etchmiadzin monastery, he wowed, that he will not rest, until Armenia regain its past greatness, and its enemies won’t be obliterated.

Ejmiadzin_Cathedral2.jpg

Wow, I probably never had so much commenters on my AAR, and it's even before I submit the first chapter!

Bevare of the the Abbasids and the Greeks!

But this sounds very interesting so you know:

Subbed.
As a man to comment on my every AAR you deserve some boon. How about 1000 fake Internet points?
And yes, I'm aware of the threat ERE and Caliphate are. But will see, if worst comes I'm not against swearing fealty to someone.
this already sounds like it's going to be amazing, so you've just got another follower!
It's good to have followers.
Disgunbegood
Thanks

Looks interesting, subbed.
Ah that phrase is nostalgic - reminds me of Rome:tw. I think it was in the intro for the Greeks.
The fun fact is I didn't remember it, and I've played a lot of RTW in my time.

Wow, I probably never had so much commenters on my AAR, and it's even before I submit the first chapter!

As a man to comment on my every AAR you deserve some boon. How about 1000 fake Internet points?
And yes, I'm aware of the threat ERE and Caliphate are. But will see, if worst comes I'm not against swearing fealty to someone.

Also bevare of the Selquks, who strangely enough(but I'm kinda happy) refuse to appear in my Pratihara AAR... But you know what? I'll take the 1000 internet points... Wait, did you said fake? And if you should swear fealty to anyone, do it to Georgia. As they sure will be able to defend you :p.

EDIT: As you see in my location: I'm watching you...

Last edited:
Chapter 2
Sedition of Aristocracy – Tornik Bagratuni – The Lori Campaign – Battle of Kars – Aftermath​

When Ashot became enchanted with an idea of recreating Tigran’s conquests, common folk was greatly exalted and village priests were conducting services in his honor, and beggar monks began professing that God will give victory to Ashot, and all his enemies will be toppled, and both Caliph in Baghdad and Emperor in Constantinople will stand on their knees in front of him.

The nobility however weren't happy with Ashot’s new obsession, as he demanded for all princes and marzbans and kouropalats to gather all their levies and entrust him with supreme control over them, and forced them to pay all their due taxes.
And there was among princes the man called Tornik of house Bagratuni, Ashot’s cousin, who ruled the land of Klarjeti, well known for his mastery with the sword, his bravery and chaity, who said to princes:
“Look – ishkhan ishkhanats is mad, for he will lead us to our death in his wars, and Arabs will take our lands again. It’s better if I’ll be the prince of princes of Armenia, as my father and my grandfather before me.”

IblsrwF.jpg

And the princes said – “Did we fought with Arabs for a madman among us to topple our liberties? Let us make Tornik ishkhan ishkhanats.”

gdocqTv.jpg

So they gathered their forces and moved against the fortress of Lori Berd in the land of Lori, and took it, and moved to the land of Kars, and besieged the fortress of Kars.

In the city of Ani of 40 gates and 1001 churches Ashot gathered his loyal men, and set with his council. And his sparapets and marzbans, whom he called naharars, as in the days of Tigran, said to him:
“Oh the prince of princes let us wait here in the city of Ani, while our enemies exhaust themselves besieging Kars. And when their armies are exhausted and depleted, we’ll move against them and crush them.”

%D0%93%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4+%D0%90%D0%BD%D0%B8+_1.jpg

Reconstruction of the city of Ani, the capital of Bagratid Armenia

1335425094_992.jpg

modern view of Ani

But Ashot said: “Am I not the ruler in the lands of Armenia? Did I not defeat the Arabs in the battle of Karasounk? Am I not destined to rebuild what was once? I won’t let the mutineers to take my cities and slaughter my people and I will not set idly in my palace, while they roam my lands.
So he said, and with great army he moved against Kars, where Tornik was. But his army was in disarray after exhausting march through mountains and Tornik came at them in full force, and defeated them and captured Ashot and took the city of Ani, and was crowned as ishkhan ishkhanats.
And then he came to the place where Ashot was chained and said: “You are of my blood, and let no one say that I, Tornik, is a kinslayer. So I will not kill you. But I will make a eunuch of you, and send you to my city of Karin, which Greeks call Theodosiopolis, and you will be my curopalate there, in charge of my palace.

They called for a barber, who cut Ashot’s manhood, and then send him to the city of Theodosiopolis.

uYZ9UZl.jpg

I've tried to do something with a storytelling style, making it more resembling medieval history book. Not sure if it's any good, though, so, waiting for comments: should I proceed with this stylisation, or go back to previous chapter's style?

Oh my, he lost his balls of steal...

I say Chapter Two style of writing.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Personally, I liked chapter I best, but II was more original... perhaps a little more of II, to see how it goes?

I like the history book style, I think you should continue with it!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Vengeance must be had! Castrate his entire line!

Either style works imo. You could just use whichever feels natural for each update.

I say Chapter Two style of writing.

Ok, the idea I just had is to alternate between two styles, so it will look like medieval history book with modern commentary. this will allow me to shed a light on some events that lies beyond the horizon of medieval Armenian historian (like Shi'a uprising in Egypt) without breaking the character. It also helps with pacing, which is my greatest problem.

You should try to convert back to your ancestral religion of zorastrianism
Well, Armenians never were Zoroastrians, not majority, anyway. The fact that Armenia is oldest Christian country in the world is a great source of pride even for modern Armenians, can imagine what it meant or medieval ones. Armenia has a history of protecting its Christian identity against Zoroastrian prosecution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Avarayr.

OTOH, Myaphisitism needs serious reworking, at least they should get autocephalous patriarchs. The fact that my religious head is Coptic Pope, and not Catholicos of all Armenians, and that my holy place is Axum of all places, with Echmiadzin being just another bishopric makes me cry.

I believe he's talking about the fact that some Armenian kings converted from Christianity to Zoroastrianism when aligning themselves politically with the Sassanid Empire.

I believe he's talking about the fact that some Armenian kings converted from Christianity to Zoroastrianism when aligning themselves politically with the Sassanid Empire.
You mean this guy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnazes? He was Georgian, not Armenian (of course talking about Georgians in 6th century is anachronistic, he was Laz).
I'm not aware of any Armenian Zoroastrian kings, although I'm not good in Armenian history, so I may be missing someone.