• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it just me or does the Emperor crown look different than normal?

Indeed I suspect it has something to do with my culture.

World Interlude 1052

Rhys signed and closed the chronicle, another king/emperor done, another name to add to the list. Rhys looked out into the corridor, by the grace of God no one was coming to see him today so he got out of his chair and headed to the table full of maps of the year 1052.

vM3eRgR.png

The Isles are now fully united under Pendragon control, with vassal’s king in Ireland and Scotland. Snippets of information from the period suggest that the Pendragons will now focus their efforts on Brittany and mainland Europe.

DPN8NGW.png

Central Europe is a huge cluster of small and large kingdoms. West Francia and Aquitaine are still at each others throats, though West Francia seems to be the weaker of the two. East Francia is still alive and kicking, while its neighbour Lotharingia is going through a period of civil strife. Bavaria has now become a major player on the European stage after gaining control of the kingdom of Italy. Hungary is also unified and could play a strong role in European politics in the next few years.

g19fLM3.png

The Iberian Peninsula is still an area of religious warfare, with the Kingdom of Asturias being the main fighter against the Muslim hordes in the south and central part of the region. It is unlikely that they will be able to push Muslims out of Spain anytime soon.

CNpQhua.png

Scandinavia and the Far East are full of small and large nations grappling for dominance. Norway is still the major powerhouse in the region, but they seem to want to attack pagans in the region of Estonia rather then focusing on Denmark their main rival. Denmark is still carrying on but the duchy of upland is surrounded by Norwegian counties and soon that foothold on Norse soil may be lost. In Finland, the Rus and the Satakunta tribe are the main players with control over sizable portions of the kingdom. To the east the land is full of petty pagan tribes with only Perm and the Cumans being somewhat of a threat.

9F28vCy.png

The Byzantines have made several territorial gains over the last few years, having completely cut off the Kingdom of Egypt from expanding into Seljuk territory. Elsewhere in Outremer the lords in the Seljuk territory are in open revolt against their overlord, and Persia is gradually expanding east. The Byzantines may meet their match soon…

The world is going to hell in a handcart. Hope you guys have enjoyed the last few updates and expect Meilyr II first chapter soon.

It's all looking great Saxon!

Yep Europe is a mess, still its interesting starting in 867 as you get to see Europe much differently then in 1066. ( Also I am pretty sure this is my longest CK2 game at this point) Anyway stay tuned for Meilyr II, lets hope dies a natural death and not one caused by poison or incapability :)

This world's certainly an interesting departure from one's normal expectations of 1066 Europe. I for one am very curious to see how things develop during the rest of the game's timeline – especially considering we have a united Prydain as the real main player in the region. Seeing just how far you go with regards to the continent will be an intriguing read.

Indeed so my friend but Meilyr II will struggle during the early years. :) but I hope to take over Brittany by the end of his reign.

Looking good so far Saxon! I have a question, I am not sure if it has been answered before, what is the religion of the Umayyads, are they still Muslim? I see the coat of arms of Andalusia and I am curious... :)

I believe so, but I have not looked over that region of the map in detail in a while. I'll check when I next play.

(Update 23/11/14)

They are actually catholic to my great surprise. :)

Last edited:
The Reign of Meilyr II Pendragon Chapter I

b25cByS.png

Lived 1010 - 1084

Emperor of Pydain 1052 - 1084

King of Wales 1052 - 1084

King of England 1052 - 1084

Duke of Albany 1039 - 1053

fB7yKFr.png

Meilyr took the throne in his early 40’s after the poisoning of his father. Many believed that the Pendragons would fall from their throne and Prydain would tear itself apart. Yet on the contrary, Meilyr brute strength of will and mastery of diplomacy enabled him to take the throne without violence. Thought dissent still lingered among his vassals due to the fact that Meilyr murdered the marshal of Worcester who had been gathering men for his claim on England. Unfortunately the assassins were found out after the murder and the lord of Worcester found evidence of Meilyr's part in the plot, and so spread the word that he had broken his feudal contract with his vassals. Meilyr at first finished up his father’s work in Brittany by winning the county war for Kernev and afterwards passing it on to the count of Leon. Yet following this little occurred, the Empire was at peace of sorts with none willing to challenge the mighty Pendragon dynasty. The Irish and Scots kings were changing successor support regularly but lacked the stomach for a full on fight. Recent advances in military organisation allowed Meilyr to raise a cavalry retinue and two shock retinues bring his personal forces up to 7500 men. So the years dragged on, with no claims and no wars. Peace was at last upon Prydain…

Firstly I need to apologies for the shortness of this chapter, I played for six years but got little material to use. Also I am a bit buried under work at the moment, so chapters will be less frequent until the Christmas holidays.

Last edited:
The Reign Of Meilyr II Pendragon Chapter II

zFusudT.png

It was only in 1056 that things started to improve for the Pendragons. Meilyr II decided to focus his efforts on England, which was a troublesome nation full of Anglo Saxon lords. Meilyr’s intention was simple, to change the succession law to favor his son and heir Rhys. England at this point still ran off the Gavelkind succession law, and as such the land would have been sliced up among Meilyr’s sons if he had more then one son. In this he was fortunate for Rhys was his only male child. Meilyr was intent on passing primogeniture in England and so spent much time bribing lords so he could pass increase the crown authority in the kingdom. The law itself was passed in July 1058.

OjTJTkK.png

kbXPCyw.png

Since Rhys had not ruled England for 10 years, he was unable to change the succession law at present, so he focused on other internal matters. In 1060, a letter was sent by the patrician of the Llyn family to Meilyr asking him to destroy the trade post in Leinster as the Maelor family who controlled the trade post were intervening with Llyn trade over the Irish Sea, Meilyr felt compelled to oblige as the Llyn family controlled the Gwynedd trade post, which was one of the richest trade posts in the isles. The trade post was burnt down a few days later and the influence of the Maelor family was weakened in the region.

aqQa6nw.png

In the early months 1061, a man named Geirr was found to be gathering men for an invasion of the isles. After some careful planning he would be murdered in January 1062 dying after drinking a poisoned cup of wine at a banquet, no evidence led back to Meilyr.

yXutk1h.png

Tragic news would reach Meilyr in October 1061, his mother Sif had died of old age at the age of 70 passing the duchy of Trondelag and two counties within it onto her son. Meilyr by all accounts wept when he heard as his mother had been a profound effect on him from an early age. Her death also gave Meilyr a chance to influence Norwegian politics by allowing him to vote on the next king.

xqnmjtM.png

Two months later despite the fact that Meilyr had not lain with any other woman since the tragic death of his wife of smallpox in the early 1040’s, he contracted great pox but by the grace of god was able to fight it off by April 1062.

qT4MIrM.png

In that same month Rhys had now ruled Prydain for 10 years and was able to pass the primogeniture succession law, albeit after nearly draining his vast treasury bribing discontent lords. The succession in Wales and England was now stable and many lords have supported Rhys II in his election to the throne of Prydain. What is next for this all powerful dynasty…

Well the succession in England is now safe. But I suspect I will enter a period of stagnation soon, there have been no rebellions in a while no vassals have declared war and I lack any claims to press. Not to mention my 7500 retinue and 4000 men from my own holdings which could win virtually any war I start. I'm not saying I have not enjoyed writing or gathering material for this AAR, it certainly my best CK2 game to date. But I suspect the rest of my game may just be me sitting around for a few years waiting for something interesting to happen before it stagnates again. So I need opinions should I continue this AAR? or shall I start work on something else.

If I change my mind the next chapter will not be until the Christmas holidays (they start on the 12th)

See you soon,

Saxon

Last edited:
Ah, the Umayyads became Catholic, hm I guess they wanted to save their kingdom from the holy wars they were inflicted upon...

As of stagnation, well you can reverse things around and try to become a heretic(the blasphemy!) or place an anti-Pope to shake things a bit...or mayhaps marry your dynasty to a Karling King relative and press your claims and make the Pendragons the Karlings of your game...

But it all depends on how you feel for the game, if you achieved the goals you set at the begining, you might as well start something new, it has been an interesting read! :)

Ah, the Umayyads became Catholic, hm I guess they wanted to save their kingdom from the holy wars they were inflicted upon...

As of stagnation, well you can reverse things around and try to become a heretic(the blasphemy!) or place an anti-Pope to shake things a bit...or mayhaps marry your dynasty to a Karling King relative and press your claims and make the Pendragons the Karlings of your game...

But it all depends on how you feel for the game, if you achieved the goals you set at the beginning, you might as well start something new, it has been an interesting read! :)

I might just do an anti pope scenario, but even then my play through for my next AAR will not start until 1066 (hint its going to be a HIP AAR :) So I might just continue this just for something to do until I get to 1066 in that game.

I would like you to continue but it is your choice. If you feel bored then go ahead and start a new AAR! I will be sure to follow it.

I would like you to continue but it is your choice. If you feel bored then go ahead and start a new AAR! I will be sure to follow it.

I will probably continue this AAR, but not at the moment. I have a lot of work I need to do. I do break up for Christmas holidays on the 12th however. So you might just see this AAR see a reboot, or perhapes another AAR will begin... :)

Last edited:
Update 5/12/14

I have now decided to end this AAR after the death of Meilyr II. The game is really starting to stagnate now. (I just played 8 years of game play and little happened besides one rebellion that I crushed with ease.) not to mention I control the whole of the isles and so achieved my main objective. I'll finish his reign over the next few days and get the last chapter out some point next week.

I hope to see some readers in my next work which will either be a HIP AAR or a Game of Thrones AAR.

Saxon

I'm sad to hear that, though I can't say I blame you if the game was half as dull as it sounded towards the end. I tend to try and limit my rate of expansion so and to avoid this sort of thing, though the lure of conquering Prydain in its entirety as quickly as possible is large, I'll grant you. (It was also very nice to see Wales doing the conquering for a change.)

Nevertheless, I'll be interested to see what you come up with next. Good luck!

I'm sad to hear that, though I can't say I blame you if the game was half as dull as it sounded towards the end. I tend to try and limit my rate of expansion so and to avoid this sort of thing, though the lure of conquering Prydain in its entirety as quickly as possible is large, I'll grant you. (It was also very nice to see Wales doing the conquering for a change.)

Nevertheless, I'll be interested to see what you come up with next. Good luck!

In truth I was rather lucky when it came to conquering the isles due to the weakness of the Irish and Scots, not to mention the lucky English marriage. But look on the bright side I took the welsh to the forefront of European politics, brought the isles under one banner and played my best CK2 game to date.

In truth I was rather lucky when it came to conquering the isles due to the weakness of the Irish and Scots, not to mention the lucky English marriage. But look on the bright side I took the welsh to the forefront of European politics, brought the isles under one banner and played my best CK2 game to date.

Yup always best to end on a high. Parts of this were very enjoyable particularly, for me, when it was more about the dramatic events and less just getting out the facts.

I shall look forward to your next one

Yup always best to end on a high. Parts of this were very enjoyable particularly, for me, when it was more about the dramatic events and less just getting out the facts.

I shall look forward to your next one

Thanks for that Asantahene, still have not got round to finishing the reign yet but it will be done soon. After that expect a HIP AAR :)