• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DABegley

Major
8 Badges
Mar 19, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
I am playing Aragon in 5.2, standard difficulty, no lucky nations. It is about 1475 and things have been going agonizingly slow due to 2 things. First, I can't get a CB to save my life. I only get them against Castile who is BFF with Portugal and that combo is deadly to me. The only reason I am alive is that I have alliances with both England and France. Castile has attacked twice and I haven't lost any turf so I feel lucky. The second problem has been that I have been in Regency for 35 of the 70 games years and I just entered another Regency, my 6th, and my monarch is 4 years old. Really slows things down. OK, enough whining and on to the question.

I have gotten some stuff done including vassaling and annexing Navarre, and annexing Sardinia. I have also just completed a war with the Ottomans where I got Calabria and Macedonia from the Ottomans and annexed Algiers. Only got 2 provinces from Algiers, Al-Djazair and Bone, as Castile and Morocco had swallowed the rest. Morocco is in my sites but I need to wait out the Regency.

So I am perplexed on which way to go. I do not want to play the colonize game, Castile is too big to easily deal with and I am allied to France. Sicily refuses to be vassalized but is still allied with me.

Suggestions on where to go and how to address my CB issues would be appreciated. The CB issue is partially resolved by my eating 8 infamy annexing Algiers which gives me borders with the Islamic North African states, hello Holy War, but I would really need some better turf from wars if I am ever going to be able to take on Castile.

Thanks.

Check up the requiremens for your Italian missions to trigger and try to do them all. Another thing you could do is try to become good friends with Castille (unless you're having frequent rebels lower army maintenance to 0 when you're at peace, this helps the economy more than you'd think) and if the opportunity arises claim their throne, peacefully. Keep doing this over and over until it actually happens and then put all effort into keeping the union (i.e disband all costly infantry, start minting and MASS infantry at 0 maintenance until you vastly outnumber their forces to stop the insult spamming) and wait for inheritance.

Last option is to colonize, dump all your mainland provinces and move to America. You could sell your provinces to Castille and make a nice profit, then come back and reconquer them when you're strong enough.

I would love to but I can't get a CB on any of Italian minors. Naples is looking particularly juicy as it has only 2 provinces and I own Calabria for a staging area. However, she is guaranteed/allied by half of Europe including Austria and Bohemia. Oh well your probably right I should just bite the infamy/stability bullet and rampage through Italy. I should build a few more boats first to prevent invasions of the homeland though. I'll let you know how it turns out. When I declared war on Sardinia immediately Austria, Bohemia, Milan, Scotland, Hungary, Venice, the Papal States, Genoa, Brittany, Naples, at least 6 German minors and 4 Italian minors and a bunch of other states jumped in against me and the only alliance she had was with the Papal States. Most impressive cascade I have seen in a long time. I still won but it took forever and a ton of naval battles. I anticipate a Naples war will go the same way, hopefully France and England will answer my Call to Arms. They did for the Ottoman war which helped to no end.