• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is making me want to get around to playing Russia again. I keep thinking about it and not getting around to it.

I havent played HPP in a long time. They did a really good job, perhaps my favorite mod, but one issue bothered me and i simply couldnt get around it. They had Diplomatic guarentees that didnt necessarily make sense and certainly werent historical all in the name of trying to get the war going.

See it doesnt matter what you WANT to do, its what you CAN do. Just like all that bluster from Churchill about taking on the Soviets at several points throughout the war. It was all talk, it was all he could do to keep his nation afloat much less take on a Major Power whom he had no real way of doing so. Now perhaps the versions had changed idk, but for example one issue was Germany guarenteeing Turkey, which didnt happen and wouldnt happen. Even if the Soviets invaded Turkey, Germany never would have DOW'd the Soviets until they were ready to, certainly not for Turkey, and definitely since their ability to defend Turkey was worse then the Allies ability to defend Poland. Some of the Diplomacy didnt make sense.

I wanted to go back and try it out but everytime i checked it was still beta for TFH, and i dont like playing buggy versions and i dont like playing earlier versions so im stuck with TFH vanilla atm.

Now that sounds really interesting to me. A russian offensive into anatolia and central asia before barbossa and holding the balkan troops at Istanbul. then once the winter sets in GPW while launching the main offensive into the balkans to cut off hitlers oil supply before digging in and waiting for the panzers to run out of fuel. Without the balkan's on their side I doubt that there are enough german divisions to cover such a wide front.

I havent played HPP in a long time. They did a really good job, perhaps my favorite mod, but one issue bothered me and i simply couldnt get around it. They had Diplomatic guarentees that didnt necessarily make sense and certainly werent historical all in the name of trying to get the war going.

See it doesnt matter what you WANT to do, its what you CAN do. Just like all that bluster from Churchill about taking on the Soviets at several points throughout the war. It was all talk, it was all he could do to keep his nation afloat much less take on a Major Power whom he had no real way of doing so. Now perhaps the versions had changed idk, but for example one issue was Germany guarenteeing Turkey, which didnt happen and wouldnt happen. Even if the Soviets invaded Turkey, Germany never would have DOW'd the Soviets until they were ready to, certainly not for Turkey, and definitely since their ability to defend Turkey was worse then the Allies ability to defend Poland. Some of the Diplomacy didnt make sense.

I wanted to go back and try it out but everytime i checked it was still beta for TFH, and i dont like playing buggy versions and i dont like playing earlier versions so im stuck with TFH vanilla atm.

The current version is very much playable, and I wouldn`t call it a beta (and I don`t think the HPP devs consider it so, but I`m not sure on that).

I believe HPP is the mod that came closest to fixing the base game loops and holes, while at the same time staying true to the basic ideas of HoI 3.
TRP also did it pretty well, but I just can`t stand that "vanilla" tech tree any more.

After half a year immersed in HPP, I started up a vanilla game last night with the Soviets to test out the build ideas floating around lately. Such an alien set of techs in there, compared to HPP. I like the doctrine decisions which take all the various doctrines in vanilla and lump them into a couple of concepts, ie Human Wave, etc.

But it's also refreshing to run in vanilla - it runs so much faster on my machine. :)

I do always feel the urge to reinstall my hoi3 because it gets wonkily sluggish in so far as loading times go sometimes lol. I've played around with mods a bit, especially in Hoi2, but I never found anything that I preferred so vastly to the vanilla game that I would give it up.

I'd only want more events for historical flavor. That is to say, the little historical pop ups. I'd also completely rework the way the purges are done considering right now there's absolutely no reason at all not to do them lol.

I'd only want more events for historical flavor. That is to say, the little historical pop ups. I'd also completely rework the way the purges are done considering right now there's absolutely no reason at all not to do them lol.

I my current SU game i didn't go with the purges because i think LS is more important for SU at that critical stage where you have to research a lot of basic techs. Also getting those techs asap means less IC to spend on upgrades later.

I do always feel the urge to reinstall my hoi3 because it gets wonkily sluggish in so far as loading times go sometimes lol. I've played around with mods a bit, especially in Hoi2, but I never found anything that I preferred so vastly to the vanilla game that I would give it up.

HPP reworks the purges in a decent enough way, based on what I've seen (I've not played the Soviets really into the purges yet in the mod).Folks who've played the Soviets in the mod can chime in.

I also like HPP's flavor. Lots of interesting events.

Playing as SU is waste of time unless your just have free time on your hands to waste. The starting numbers are out of this world for divisions and HQ's but IC and tecs are lower than squat. Officer training is crazy too. SU can overwhelm any opponent in 41-42.

Playing as SU is waste of time unless your just have free time on your hands to waste. The starting numbers are out of this world for divisions and HQ's but IC and tecs are lower than squat. Officer training is crazy too. SU can overwhelm any opponent in 41-42.

I always recommend to folks that they do the initial setup for the USSR once, and save it as a starting point for all future games.

I can usually have the Soviets up and running in less than an hour. They're extremely rewarding to play, with countless options at their fingertips. You can have key techs up to date very quickly, and IC can be very high in a few years time. It's a fun challenge, but not hard to do.

CGM makes the Soviets more interesting to play, I feel.

Mainly because I don't have to have a save game with preferred OOB anymore. I just go into CGM, keep techs the same and wipe all starting divisions from the map with a few mouseclicks and start over. I do something similar with Japan.

God, I hate the Soviet and Japanese OOBs.

CGM makes the Soviets more interesting to play, I feel.

Mainly because I don't have to have a save game with preferred OOB anymore. I just go into CGM, keep techs the same and wipe all starting divisions from the map with a few mouseclicks and start over. I do something similar with Japan.

God, I hate the Soviet and Japanese OOBs.

Ohh yes indeed. Yesterday, I decided it could be fun to revisit Russia; but I decided not to use CGM. I set up all the the details with trade, tech etc and then started to reorganise the OOB to get rid of all the surplus HQs.

And the game crashes half way through... I .... Russia!

I often do the same. I usually make larm/mot/mot and infx3/art units. I feel its a wash as i get extra units, but nothing advanced really and its at the expense of Officers (if i delete HQs in game my Officers rise up to 120%+), i dont change anything else. The mistake is when players use CGM to move units around the map, the supply gets messed up for a few months. Its better to delete the units and remake them if possible (at least land units) then your supply is ok.

Im bad because im OCD half the time, but the key is simply to make up templates of various nations in various types of setups.