• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have read the whole WW1 scenario forum, maybe i could miss something, but in my opinion i would say that covering WW1 would not be so exiting as it was the Cold War, we have been waiting, i do so, the creation of a serious game about the Cold War. I believe that when HoI IV is done, they will resurrect East vs West thanks to the new war system of plans and so.

WW1 has been covered in DH, now its time to a more exiting period which really influenced our world, im talking about an era of new technology and the possibility of MAD which maintains the worlds peace. How much time would you keep peace? Could you hold cold the relations or turn them in a madness war? I say, my dear good friends, let the Cold War begin.

Thanks for read
WW1 and WW2 are two wars, and a lot of mechanics can be shared.

Cold war is not for wargame, it needs huge focus on economy and internal politics, as it was won by economy and diplomacy, not guns and planes.

"Cold war" scenario for HOI doesn`t make sense. 40 years of spamming IC and staring on each other. USA will stomp Korea, Vietnam in 2-3 month tops, USSR will never leave Afghanistan, exetera.

WW1 and WW2 are two wars, and a lot of mechanics can be shared.

Cold war is not for wargame, it needs huge focus on economy and internal politics, as it was won by economy and diplomacy, not guns and planes.

"Cold war" scenario for HOI doesn`t make sense. 40 years of spamming IC and staring on each other. USA will stomp Korea, Vietnam in 2-3 month tops, USSR will never leave Afghanistan, exetera.

You could, you know, have the option to start up a hot war.

Or unify Germany and resurrect ideologies that were supposed to die after World War II.

coughcough

many of the pre and post ww1 politics share common traits with the post ww2 cold war excepting the sharp divide between the economical theories of capitalism and communism, as an example the boer and war saw a lot of foreign artillery sent in aid much like the korean war was fought (in the early stages) with soviet and american equipment, likewise with the vietnam war saw a lot of military aid from both sides - i would think that if a ww1 campaign was made for hoi4 it would share a lot of the same mechanics... and depending on what they do with the civilian economy they "might" be able to extend the games lifespan to 100 years...

I worked on EvW and TFH as testers. One of the big issues that a cold war has using game mechanics based on a WW2 game is time. Even one hour time intervals are not suited for cold war battles between super powers. They were fine for the minor wars fought during the time period but ran into some major issues as the timeframe reached the late 60's through the 80's.

Planes could fly through many provinces in one hour so intercepts were a pain to get right. Missiles and naval battles were very hard to get balanced correctly.

IMO and my opinion only you need a whole new game mechanic to resolve this. You can keep the hourly time spans but the combat mechanics would need multiple phases to represent say 6 minute intervals. So I highly doubt if any HOI based game can do it right. You can do it and EvW was a good attempt but it could never represent the real life capabilities of the various weapon systems as an hour is simply just too long of a time frame.

And WW1 won't work because the provinces in HOI games are too big. WW1 fought for inches and maneuver was extremely limited to how fast a horse could move. WW2 maneuver used the tank and how fast and far it could move. WW3 would be based on the helicopter for it's ranges.

Here is a link to a nice article on WW1.

Last edited:
I worked on EvW and TFH as testers. One of the big issues that a cold war has using game mechanics based on a WW2 game is time. Even one hour time intervals are not suited for cold war battles between super powers. They were fine for the minor wars fought during the time period but ran into some major issues as the timeframe reached the late 60's through the 80's.

A Cold War game shouldn't be about the battles between superpowers anyway. In the grand tradition of Balance of Power, all that blather should be abstracted away as much as possible so you can focus on the economics, internal politics and diplomacy. And that's why a Paradox game about the modern/postWWII world should be based the most on Victoria, and really any game but HOI would be better than trying to use HOI, which was EvW's big mistake... but we're not supposed to talk about it anyway.

many of the pre and post ww1 politics share common traits with the post ww2 cold war excepting the sharp divide between the economical theories of capitalism and communism, as an example the boer and war saw a lot of foreign artillery sent in aid much like the korean war was fought (in the early stages) with soviet and american equipment, likewise with the vietnam war saw a lot of military aid from both sides - i would think that if a ww1 campaign was made for hoi4 it would share a lot of the same mechanics... and depending on what they do with the civilian economy they "might" be able to extend the games lifespan to 100 years...

Nobody wants to play one hour-ticks for 100 years, though... that'd be like 6 campaigns of EUIV, in terms of timesteps!

Well TEAW does a good job of the meat grinder of WWI and it would have a comparable province set up.

In the East it is much faster flowing and in the West until Italy opens up a second way in you just have 2 huge groups slaughtering each other and to push even one stack out of a province takes a lot, first gas attacks do a good job but rapidly become ineffective just as in real life.

Having said that I have never played the existing WWI mod and that does seem to do things quite well.

Not sure how to get around the issue of the cold war battle phases, I assume you would have to automate the plane and missle countering systems as it would be ridiculous to have to stop all the time to manually protect your borders from these threats.

Reactions:
A Cold War game shouldn't be about the battles between superpowers anyway. In the grand tradition of Balance of Power, all that blather should be abstracted away as much as possible so you can focus on the economics, internal politics and diplomacy. And that's why a Paradox game about the modern/postWWII world should be based the most on Victoria, and really any game but HOI would be better than trying to use HOI, which was EvW's big mistake... but we're not supposed to talk about it anyway.
Aren't Hearts of Iron game similar to March of Eagles in regard of them being almost purely wargames, unlike Victoria and hypothetical Cold War or Modern Day games, which had/would had very little direct combat relative to former?

I don't want to go way off track but a Cold War game that has a crappy hot war mechanics would be a failure. To quote Bob Doe; "You know it, I know it, all the people know it". People will want to get involved in a nuke war sooner or later. And having done hundreds of hours in actual research on nuclear weapons and their effects it would not be the end of the world. I bet most still think the Cuban missile crises would have resulted in a mutual destruction of the US and USSR. Far from it. At most 1 to 10 nukes would have made it to the US mainland while around 3000 warheads would have hit the USSR. It WAS that one sided.

Like many games for balance the USSR in EvW was given massive boosts to make the game playable because from the start till about the mid 1960's the US would have easily won any nuclear war and could dominate the world if it decided to do so.