• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(318916)

Second Lieutenant
10 Badges
May 22, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
I understand how certain parts of this work. I know you get bonus and you build points by having rivals or declaring war or taking provinces. I know you can only pick or change rivals while your at peace. Playing as the Ottomans I can pick certain rivals. Who I can pick is increasing in nations since the beginning of the game. The frustrating part is loosing a rival and then only being left with 2 or even worse then you are hamstrung a bit. It seems strange that I can't pick the Timards(is this because of the type of government they have tribal something) who are huge but can pick smaller countries. I still have Venice as a rival but they are down to just provinces around Venice right now and I don't know how much longer they will last as a rival. I've searched online for more info on them and it doesn't to be there. The basic question is how can you tell if a rival is no longer going to be a rival anymore.

I understand how certain parts of this work. I know you get bonus and you build points by having rivals or declaring war or taking provinces. I know you can only pick or change rivals while your at peace. Playing as the Ottomans I can pick certain rivals. Who I can pick is increasing in nations since the beginning of the game. The frustrating part is loosing a rival and then only being left with 2 or even worse then you are hamstrung a bit. It seems strange that I can't pick the Timards(is this because of the type of government they have tribal something) who are huge but can pick smaller countries. I still have Venice as a rival but they are down to just provinces around Venice right now and I don't know how much longer they will last as a rival. I've searched online for more info on them and it doesn't to be there. The basic question is how can you tell if a rival is no longer going to be a rival anymore.

Your tech "penalty"/speed difference is 50%. Whenever tech speed/penalty difference is 50% or more, then two countries can't pick each other as a rival. Ottomans have 25% tech penalty and nomads have 75% so they can't be your rival/vice versa.

Everyone seem to have very undocumented pet theories on how rivals work.

Cap to Cap Distance?
Tax/Income?
Tech? (Sure have never seen the 50% rule, not sure it's true)

Why can the AI rival you, but until the AI rivals you, you can't rival them? (Weaker countries can rival stronger ones, perhaps)

Why can the AI rival you, but until the AI rivals you, you can't rival them? (Weaker countries can rival stronger ones, perhaps)
That is sensible, probable, and consistent with my experiences.

ok the rival system and when they leave has no rime or reason. I had a rival get too weak and I was able to add a new rival. This was Poland and I replace them with Austria. Then Austria left as a rival and I was given no option to replace the rival and now it is lost for the entire game. This must be a bug. Sometimes you can get a new rival and sometimes you can't. In each situation a valid replacement rival exist and I'm at peace. It makes now sense and is very frustrating.

They said that countries that rival you are always available as rival, but that just simply isn't true.

And OPM Austria rivals my French empire that has all of the new world, the iberians, italy, and GB, but a historic sized Ottoman empire second in military is ineligible even though we shared the multiple borders?

Everyone seem to have very undocumented pet theories on how rivals work.

Cap to Cap Distance?
Tax/Income?
Tech? (Sure have never seen the 50% rule, not sure it's true)

Res Publica Patch 1.7
-Countries that are 50% or more apart in tech speed can no longer set each other as rivals.
- Countries that have chosen you as a rival are now always available to be set as a rival.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Patch_1.7

It is not undocumented pet theory.

Ok, I might have figured out how to keep Austria as a rival in my game. I declare war on them. When I don't they go away as soon as I go to peace with The Mamluks They kept always going away as a rival but this seems to keep them around. Now Venice and The Mamluks are still my rivals as well but these guys are getting very weak because well I keep beating up on them. If I just had some idea. Nothing in the notes says anything like this. This was the same trick I pulled with Poland. I declared on them. I just didn't realize at the time that this was the mechanic that made it work.