• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
and so Lusty Lorys kicks the bucket, let us hope that Andren can take house Threedrop to new heights.

Shouldn't it be Lady Paramount Mary Baratheon of the Stormlands and Lady Paramount Gywn Arryn of the Vale instead of 'Lord'?

It just bothers me. It is like Bonifer is to marry some guy from Stormlands. Especially when he says: "I get to stick my sword in a lord paramount's sheath" - it just sounds so wrong...

But apart from that it is absolutely AMAZING AAR!!!
I love the way you create your characters and I can't wait to see what kind of Lord Andren will now turned out to be. I wonder also how he will treat his Lannister wife... Is there a bit of his own father in him, or is he a completely different person?

Keep up the good work! ;)

Last edited:
Well, I think Lorys would prefer it this way. Death was better than the state he was in. Andren had a bright future ahead of him with his soon-to-be wife. I'm assuming the marriage also brings about an alliance, right? I'm getting a feeling that, since Lorys had his accident, Eglantine has spent a lot of time caring for him and not enough for Andren. It's nice to know that mother and son are still close. Time for a new chapter in the House of Threedrop.

The marriage will bring in an alliance, yes. Definitely will be a new chapter for the House.

Long live Lord Andren of Herston Hall!

Andren and Bartimos seem to be of quite different temperaments to their predecessors, but they both seem to be getting along quite famously with one another as well. Hopefully they'll be just as effective at governing together.

I do have to wonder, though, if Lorys would hang his head in shame at Andren's poor swordplay :p

Lorys probably would, and then beat his son a little more until he played better. Unfortunately, he went incapacitated right as Andren was getting trained and had become his squire.

And actually, I hadn't thought about that: Lorys and Dermot versus Andren and Bartimos. They are definitely opposites.

Strangely auspicious timing, with Lorys departing just as Andren turns 16.

What is Andren's education trait, by the way? Is it a decent one?

That passing is mere coincidence, I assure you! And as for the education trait, that will probably become revealed in the next update. I don't have my screenshots in front of me at the moment. Sadly, as I recall, it was something disappointing.

and so Lusty Lorys kicks the bucket, let us hope that Andren can take house Threedrop to new heights.

Higher, higher, higher, etc.

But apart from that it is absolutely AMAZING AAR!!!
I love the way you create your characters and I can't wait to see what kind of Lord Andren will now turned out to be. I wonder also how he will treat his Lannister wife... Is there a bit of his own father in him, or is he a completely different person?

Keep up the good work! ;)

Thanks for the kind words - hope you continue to read :) And I suppose you will find out how Andren is in the next update. :D When more of his leadership and rule comes out.

Great update and great AAR. It's very martin-esque. I hope the new patch hasn't broken your save - I'm looking forward to more.

Last few times I got compared to GRRM, it was because I was either making everyone a douche, or I was killing everyone :p But all three comparisons were very flattering, in one way or another.

I've played quite a bit into the game (so no demands on what I should do as Andren - they won't matter, ha ha!), and I believe I've tried it out with the latest mod version (v0.8), and far as I can see I'm doing OK.

Part 2: Lord Andren of Lockport

Chapter 1: Bartimos

The Targaryens had a saying, Bartimos remembered: Madness and greatness were two sides of the same coin, and every time a new Targaryen is born the gods toss the coin in the air while the world holds its breath to see how it will land. Perhaps that was quite true for the Targaryen kings, but it was surely true for lesser nobles as well. The successor even for knightly nobility could either be truly great or truly rotten. He could be a tyrant or he could be a mastermind of power. He could earn the people's love, or earn their hate. As maester of Herston Hall, Bartimos was witnessing such a transition from one form of leadership to another, with the passing of Lorys and the ascension of his son, Andren.

The ceremony was a simple one. No doubt in Stonehelm, or Storm's End, or even King's Landing, they had far larger and more ceremonious ascensions, but here in Herston Hall, it amounted to the lad sitting on the throne, receiving his father's sword, and receiving the blessing from the septon. After that, it was pretty much business as usual.

FQqT7z6.png

When he reached maturity, the young Andren Threedrop had proven to become a skillful military commander, with a good handle on how to operate footmen on the battlefield. He was still a poor fighter with the sword, and sometimes he seemed too afraid to even pick up his father's Valyrian blade, let alone wield it. The maester could not help but muse that Andren had his father's talent for battle, but not his taste nor his heart for it. Andren had set himself to learn how to better handle the sword, but Bartimos was almost certain that it would be a long while before the young lord would be able to hold his own in battle.

Not too long after the ascension ceremony, Bartimos received a rather distressing letter from the south, in Dorne: Prince Quentyn Martell, the heir of Sunspear, had sent a message declaring that the 12-year old Lady Paramount Mary Baratheon was, in fact, a bastard child. The late Lord Paramount Renly Baratheon was not her father – or so the letter claimed. The letter made the maester sigh, and he did not even bring it to Andren's attention – he merely crumpled it up and threw it into a nearby brazier, letting the paper burn. It was a far better use for it in his opinion.

The truth was, Prince Quentyn no doubt had a lot of stake in making a claim for the Stormlands: he was a distant relative of Lady Paramount Mary, and he was married to Annara Waters, a bastard child (one of many) of King Robert – therefore, he had ties to Storm's End in at least two directions. There was very little chance he could make a push for Storm's End, of course: few would believe his claims about Lady Paramount Mary, and King Robert would probably not care for someone attacking his niece.

mxalaO3.png

More important for Andren to deal with was this season's winter. Of course, winter had come before, but, after studying through his lens-tube for nights on end, Bartimos realized that this winter may be one of the worst they had seen yet. Predictions from the Citadel confirmed his fears, and soon the temperatures began to drop. The already chilled stone floors of Herston Hall became even colder, and guards on the walls could be seen bundled up and looking more like scarecrows than soldiers. Soon things became so bad that farmers found it difficult to work in the fields, and eventually they quit altogether. Even worse, there was an uncertainty about when this winter would be lifted. Andren had taken the precautions suggested by Bartimos and begun to store up the harvest, but who knew how long the supplies would last, should the winter drag on?

goRf94z.png

With the snow beginning to fall, Andren was finally anointed as a knight by the septon in February of 307 AL, and was later invited to a tourney. This was tourney was held by Lord Selmyr Buckler of Wendwater, and Andren was especially invited as the new Lord of Lockport, and having been recently declared a knight. The tourney was held in Bronzegate, just north of Storm's End, along the Kingsroad. Bartimos thought the whole thing was a foolish idea, given present weather conditions, and couldn't imagine how the knights would be able to joust given the newly fallen snow that was stacking up by the day. Andren went any way, but was defeated early on, and returned with little more than a hurt ego and reddened cheeks from the biting cold.

Conditions worsened, and Bartimos soon found it difficult to relax in his rookery. He had to write with gloves (which made things difficult), often had to wipe the frost off the ends of his lens-tube, and even the ravens began to huddle together for warmth. Out of pity for them, Bartimos moved a brazier under one of their roosts, and they all began to gather there, seemingly more comfortable. Soon, the maester saw that any raven who flew in delivering a message went immediately for that one roost, ignoring him and all the other perches available to them.

In April of 308 AL, one such raven arrived with a very special message. When Bartimos took it, he recognized the seal of the Citadel. That raised his interest. When he broke the seal and opened it, he was mostly expecting news that winter was finally coming to an end...instead, he got something else. And this was news that he had not expected at all, but which caused his heart to flutter all the same. He rolled the message up, and felt a smile slowly grow over his face. Clutching the message close to his heart, he turned and left the rookery. The raven who had delivered the message took one look at the maester as he left, then glanced over at the brazier, and flew over, joining his fellow birds in their warmth.

Bartimos found Andren sitting in the main hall, seated in his chair. The lord often rested there, legs crossed and fingers pressed together in front of his lips, lost in thought. It was rare that he shared with others what he was thinking, though he had often shared his thoughts with Bartimos, and they were usually the same: concerns about the winter, concerns about the future, concerns about marriage, etc. When the lord saw the maester, he let out a soft laugh and immediately relaxed, sitting up in his chair.

"You have a smile on your face," Andren said, "that tells me you have some very good news. Is winter coming to an end?"

"No," Bartimos said, and he removed his smile, feeling somewhat guilty that he had led his lord on like that, even if unintended. Andren did look saddened by that answer, though he did not grow angry with Bartimos. The maester recovered, and said, "Your lordship, I have just now received a very special message, from the citadel."

He handed Andren the message. Andren took it and read it over, then blinked in astonishment.

UGy6Ees.png

"Archmaester!" Andren declared. "That is one of the top positions at the citadel, is it not?"

"They are senior members of the order, my lord," Bartimos replied, nodding, "I will be on the conclave, though they are not quite certain just what study I will represent."

"That is very prestigeous," the lord said, turning the letter over to examine the broken seal, admiring the detail. Then, with a softened tone and a sullen look, he turned to Bartimos and said, "But that means you will have to leave me."

At those words, Bartimos suddenly felt his mood change from happiness to bittersweet tenderment. In his mind, he recalled meeting Andren, knowing his father and mother, getting to know the condition of House Threedrop, and seeing Andren grow from a boy into a man. He had witnessed Andren's maturity, and seen to it that he would be raised properly. With all of that in mind, Bartimos lowered his eyes and bowed his head, his chain rattling a bit as he said, "Yes, my lordship. I am afraid so...but I do not do it with a happy heart."

Andren let out a sigh, rolling the paper back up. He slowly got out of his chair and walked over, saying, "I do not believe I have ever said the right words on how much I appreciated what you did for me. I firmly believe even when you were not regent, this hall held together because of you. And...I would not be who I am, without you. Thank you for that, Bartimos..."

Bartimos felt those words burrow into his heart like no other words had. Andren had never complimented him like this in the past, and it seemed as if all those days and nights teaching, disciplining, and tutoring him were suddenly worthwhile, whatever the difficulty. Yes, Andren was growing into a true man, and a good noble.

"Maester," Andren suddenly said, tilting his head as he studied Bartimos' face, "is that a tear?"

Bartimos lifted his hand, rubbing the stray drop from his cheek, "Forgive me, my lordship, the cold is getting to me..."

The maester left soon afterward. He took some of the books, but left most of them for his successor. He said farewell to Eglantine, who was as sad as her son to see him go, and said one last farewell to Andren. Bartimos realized, at that moment, that Andren was the closest thing to a son he would probably ever experience, and in Lorys' stead, the maester could look at the young lord and feel pride.

As the wheelhouse began to leave the hall, beginning the long journey back to the citadel (which would be difficult in the rising snow), Bartimos made one last glance out one of the windows, and saw one of the banners of House Threedrop flapping in the window. It was the familiar three red drops of blood over the cloak of the Kingsguard. Except as the maester saw the white background, he had something else in mind.

"Blood in the snow," Bartimos suddnely whispered. He did not know why he said it. He did not know what it meant.

Last edited:
Ah Bartimos you will be missed lets hope that the new maester is a decent one

It's a shame that Bartimos has to leave but it's kinda expected with his abilities. Andren will be spending remainder of the winter alone. Guess he could spend more time with his mother. I'm assuming, from what Bartimos is saying, that there will be bloodshed before this winter is over. Might just be the battle needed to put confidence back into Andren.

Ah Bartimos you will be missed lets hope that the new maester is a decent one

He lived his life like a candle in the wind.

Oh, no wait, he's not dead...

I hope Andren develops a backbone and reforges Narsil. I mean theres no such thing as narsill i mean his valyrian sword thats what i mean

I just might put that in the story, to tick off fanboys...

Well this will be interesting.

Or will it...? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN (etc)

It's a shame that Bartimos has to leave but it's kinda expected with his abilities. Andren will be spending remainder of the winter alone. Guess he could spend more time with his mother. I'm assuming, from what Bartimos is saying, that there will be bloodshed before this winter is over. Might just be the battle needed to put confidence back into Andren.

His words will be very relevant later on.

Or, perhaps I'll pull a Lost and introduce elements that never get resolved later...

D'awww. The feels are strong with this update.

Also, Andren's education trait isn't so bad. His stats are meh overall, but that's the second highest tactician trait you can get, and of course it can be improved.

D'awww. The feels are strong with this update.

Also, Andren's education trait isn't so bad. His stats are meh overall, but that's the second highest tactician trait you can get, and of course it can be improved.

I think considering all things, he did OK for himself.

I've nominated you for Weekly AAR Showcase for this outstanding AAR. Go bask in the glory for a week :p.

Congratulations!

Awe haw, shawks, thanks blklizard! :D This was a nice thing to sign onto. Again, I'm flattered people are enjoying the AAR that much. I hope more people come over and get to enjoy it.

Chapter 2: Andren

The snow was getting thicker, the temperatures were getting lower, and Andren's patience was getting shorter. Things were simply not going his way.

Bartimos, one of the best maesters Andren had ever known, and the man who had raised him to be Lord of Lockport and Herston Hall, had been summoned away. It was a great advancement for him, Andren knew; but it struck a blow for his leadership. He was still young, and he had hoped Bartimos would be with him until he could have the confidence to truly handle things on his own. The maester who replaced him was a Riverman named William, who was greatly skilled in diplomatic affairs but little else. He was not a terrible replacement, but he was no Bartimos.

bWhFnHc.png

Then, in May of 308 AL, Arrec, the hairlipped Master at Arms, died at the age of 62-years. Andren would have to find a replacement. He sent Maester William out to find a potential sellsword who would be able to the job, but what he got in return was a courtier named Bryce who was a poor fighter and seemed more interested fighting the serving girls in the kitchen than men on the battlefield. He would have to find a potential candidate elsewhere...and there was one possibility within Herston Hall itself...

"No," Andren said adamently, "No. Anyone but him."

"I am afraid you have little choice, my lord," Maester William said, fidgeting with his chubby fingers, "there really is no one else qualified that we can find at the moment."

The gentleman in question was a courtier by the name of Orys. Andren had met him briefly when he was being tutored under Arrec, and was more than happy to accept Bartimos' tutorship instead, partially because of Orys. Orys was fat, lazy, unambitious, and quick to anger. Orys and Andren had quickly become rivals, and even though they had rarely interacted directly as they reached maturity age, neither one still had warm feelings for each other.

B1Zj1iB.png

"He can at least be a temporary fit," Maester William continued, "until we find a more appropriate candidate."

Andren leaned back in his chair in the main hall, slouching down and running his fingers forcefully against his face. He could feel the fabric of the chair's seat, and he honestly wished he could be anywhere else but here at the moment – at least that would mean he would not have to make such terrible decisions that a lord has to make.

"Very well..." Andren muttered through his fingers. "Bring him in..."

Orys was summoned, his fat belly sticking over his belt and waddling a bit as he walked in. Andren felt his hands grip the armrests of his chair, but he did his best to keep his cool. He could not be rash or unreasonable – not as a nobleman of the House of Threedrop.

"My lord," Orys said, doing a half grin as he eyed Andren up and down, "how are you? I hear you have a proposition for me..."

"I do," Andren said, attempting to sound as formal and dignified as he could, "I would like to offer you the position of Master at Arms of Lockport."

"Oh? I did not expect this."

"Nor did I," said Andren curtly, "however, you are currently the most qualified candidate in Lockport. Will you accept the position?"

He did, and Andren immediately regretted it. As expected, Orys pawned his work off on others, spent his days in the chamber room or the main hall wearing his uniform and attempting to look important, choosing to yel at people who bothered him with any potential duties he might actually have to do. Officers started to come to Andren and complain, and even some of the footmen were begging audiences with the lord. At the moment, however, he was unsure what to do. Sad as it was, Orys really was the most qualified man in Lockport for the position. Many of the veteran officers had been killed off in the last war, and others had left for other realms after Lorys had passed away. There was no one else to fill in Arrec's shoes.

Then, one day, Andren happened across his mother heading to the hall's sept. She was looking sad, and pity fell on Andren's heart. She had been very quiet ever since father's passing, and had become somewhat reclusive. It was about time he finally approached her and tried to reach out to her. He knew full well that his father had been cruel to her during their marriage (a factor that had harmed his previously held positive opinions about Lorys), and that she had suffered emotionally under him. He followed her into the sept, then, as she sat down in a pew, came over and sat beside her. She was somewhat startled by his appearance, though she smiled tenderly. Even at 38-years old, she still seemed as fair as she had when Andren was a young boy.

"Is there something troubling you, mother?" Andren asked.

Eglantine sighed, "I am sorry to bother you, Andren. It is just...ever since your father died, I..." She let out a sigh, taking out a handkerchef and beginning to fidget with it in her hands. "I do not know what to do with my life. I feel like I am just an old maid in this hall..."

Andren looked down, letting out a sigh as he leaned back and crossed his arms. He tried to think of something to say, but he couldn't think of anything. He wanted to ask her the obvious: Do you want to get married again? Yet he knew that question would summon the elephant in the room to rear its ugly head, and that sad fact was this: Eglantine and Lorys had never really loved each other. Lorys had married her for the alliance, and Eglantine had grown to despise Lorys. She stayed with him and continued her role as mother and wife for the children, and for that Andren was eternally grateful for her. However, part of that role was removed when Lorys passed, and now what was Eglantine to do? What's more, was there a possibility for a happier life with someone else? Or would Eglantine remain single forever?

Andren knew what his mother wanted: she wanted a marriage that felt like a marriage.

Q1Mlr5M.png

"Mother," Andren began, "what if I found you someone to be your husband? Someone..." He had to choose his words. "...to replace father?"

Eglantine glanced to her son and smiled before looking down again, "I think that would be nice, but you have concerns over the hall to worry about – do not become stressed over my account."

Andren, however, did intend to carry it out – and he intended to use it as a chance to rid himself of the Orys dilemma. Yes indeed, he now intended to kill two birds with one stone: he would find someone to marry his mother...and he would choose someone who enough skills at the ways of war to replace Orys. The man he found was Ser Willam Wythers, a knight from the Reach, who was far more skilled than Orys, and far more capable a fighter. Rumors were that he was also a tad bit...overzealous about the ways of war, but even that would be a great change from Orys. The marriage was arranged to be matrilineal, so that Ser Willam would have to come and stay at Herston Hall. That fit right into Andren's plan.

krh9Xce.png

Ser Willam and Eglantine were married in August of that year. Due to the harsh winter and his mother's insistence, it was kept as a simple ceremony, with only the vows and a small feast. When Eglantine came to the table, Ser Willam – who had only before been telling Andren about torture techniques you could use on prisoners of war – stood up and pulled out Eglantine's chair for her. Andren's mother was taken aback by that, and with a smile she planted a soft kiss on Ser Willam's cheek. At that moment, Andren knew that their marriage would make his mother happy: that one kiss on the cheek had been far greater than any level of intimacy he had seen his parents commit.

In October, after Ser Willam was settled in, Andren offered him the position of Master at Arms. In addition, he made Ser Willam his personal bodyguard, which increased his status of himself as well as his mother. All of which meant that Orys was removed from his position. Which, of course, made Orys very upset. And he showed it by storming into the main hall while Andren was left alone thinking. As the former master at arms came waddling into the room, his flabby jowls jiggling with his motion, his face was a bright red. Andren lifted his gaze from the floor, which was where he had been staring as he sat there thinking, and he backed up just a little as Orys approached him. The angry man only stopped a few feet before the lord's chair, but he yelled all the same.

"You removed me from my position!"

"Yes, I did," Andren replied curtly. His hands gripped the armrests of the chair, as if that would somehow steady him from Orys' words.

"And why is that? And you give it to some Reachman? You planned that all along, didn't you!"

Andren swallowed, wondering if he should call the guards or stand his ground. At the moment, he was too afraid to call the guards, since Orys was in good reaching distance of his throat.

"I thought it best," Andren replied, trying to sit tall, "after all, he is better qualified-"

"You always hated me!" Orys shouted, his thick face getting redder. "You hated me in the courtyard! You hated me because Arrec liked me better! You hated me and so you spited me! Well you will regret this! In due time you will realize what a mistake you made!"

With that, Orys turned and stormed out of the room, waddling with his thick thighs proving a hindrance to a quicker escape. As the disgraced man was leaving, Andren slowly stood up from his chair. By the time he finally stood tall and straight, Orys was out of the room and hence out of listening distance. In breathy tones, Andren murmured to himself, "One day, Orys, you will slip up...and I will be waiting..."

Let's hope the second marriage for Eglantine will be a happy one. So many challenges for young Andren this early in his reign. I'm concerned with the lack of talents in the court. This may hurt you ability to wage war. Of course, he really must rid Orys first who will no doubt be a thorn in his side. It's too early to tell how William will perform in court but let's hope that he puts duties and loyalty first.