• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another battle, another victory. A third victory (and maybe an enemy castle) might well spell the end of this conflict, provided Lord Connington's own force can fend off the Marchers.

We shall see. The war's scope is a little too big for just one castle to really make an impact though, I would think - unless it was the main castle for one of the two leaders.

Readed all of the AAR. Just... fantastic!!!! Very good character telling. Waiting for the new update.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you continue enjoying reading it :D

I haven't posted here in too long... Poor Eglantine! It's good to see Lorys back in his element, though. Is he saving up to have his valyrian blade reforged, or will it just be a nameless valyrian sword forevermore?

Stuff happens in the future with the sword. That's all I'll say.

Another excellent update. Lorys is finding himself in a setting where he is most comfortable. The war is going very well but I can't shake the feeling that some tragedy will take place :p. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Another excellent update. Lorys is finding himself in a setting where he is most comfortable. The war is going very well but I can't shake the feeling that some tragedy will take place :p. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Well, it is the Game of Thrones universe, where a happy wedding becomes a massacre and happy marriages tend to end with someone dying or someone committing adultery, so...you probably aren't far from the truth.

Chapter 21: Lorys

"How many men would you say there were?"

Andren squinted his eyes hard as he peered over the terrain, towards the enemy camp. Already most of the host had begun to leave their tents and were moving forward to form their ranks to meet the approaching enemy. Lorys grinned as he saw Andren's eyes scan from one flank to another, jerking about like a lizard's as he attempted to find the right answer to the question.

"Maybe about...several hundred?"

"Very good!" Lorys said, stirring his son's hair, "I see Dermot had trained you well. Now tell me, do you know why we are attacking them now?"

"They are beaten, are they not, father?" Andren asked. "We thrashed them good in the last battle, they are probably tired and not in high spirits."

"Exactly," said Lorys. He turned towards Lester, the two men on horseback while his son remainedo n foot, "You see? My son is growing up nicely. Now go to the camp followers son, and see me after battle." After Andren had gone off (quite begrudgingly, as he often did, even if he no longer contested it), Lorys turned to Ser Lester again, "It appears they're readying their cavalry to lead the attack. I want the archers on the west flank. Give them several well trained volleys, and then send out our own horsemen at them."

"Very good, m'lord," Lester replied, pausing a moment to steady his horse before adding, "and on the east?"

"Let them come against my footmen," Lorys said, grinning, "then we shall show them what a mistake it was."

Quite a mistake it was. Omrys' horsemen broke easily against the Lockport footmen, and when he attempted to throw his knights at the line, Lorys charged forward with his own knights. On the west flank, his archers decimated the initial cavalry charge from Lomas, and then the cavalry attack took out Lomas' infantry. In the end, about a hundred fifty men were lost on the Cape Wrath side, while only a dozen were lost on the Lockport side. Despite the fact the superiority of numbers by the Lockport army was minimal, the low morale and poorer tactics of the Cape Wrath side led to an easy victory.

0Y8okAt.png

Omrys retreated southeast, towards Wrathrock, a small island off the coast of the Weeping Tower region. There Lorys caught him on the shore, and struck with the full might of his army. The Cape Wrath force was decimated, with those who had not fled on land running into the sea, taking off their armor and hoping to be able to swim away. With laughter and mockery, the Lockport archers lined up along the beach and began to make a sport of it all. Men in the waters were used for target practice, and bets were made on those who had made it some distance away. In the end, no one was able to swim to Wrathrock.

By this point, it was November of 299 AL. Lorys had made camp at the Weeping Tower, where he received an unexpected raven from Red Watch: Lord Donnel Swann was offering Lorys the position of Master-at-Arms.

5EfNScc.png

Words could not express properly how Lorys felt right now. At long last, after planning, and plotting, and hoping, he had achieved his goal. For other men in Westeros, it was perhaps a small goal: of course there were men who hoped to obtain some form of higher lordship; of course there were men who desired to see their house take the Iron Throne itself; of course there were some men who even wished to obtain godhood! Yet for Lorys, he had only hoped for one thing: to serve as the Master at Arms for a region, in some court. He had hoped to see his fledgling knightly house rise to some level of notoriety, even if it were on a small scale. And now, he had acheived it.

He went out from his tent, where he had been resting, and found his son with some of the wounded soldiers. He was singing a song with them, and giving some of the more infirm ones food and drink. He seemed to be growing into a kind soul, although that gave Lorys concern: men who did not have any scruples about breaking their morals every now and then made for good heroes in song, but they rarely lasted long in the real world.

0lJK89q.png

"I have good news, Andren," Lorys said as he made his way over to where his son was attending one particular archer with a broken leg. When his son arose and faced him, Lorys continued, "I have made Master at Arms."

Andren smiled broadly, "That is good news! Does this mean we will be better known?"

"Within Red Watch," Lorys said, squeezing his son's nose a bit, "but who knows, my son – perhaps we will see the three blood drops falling upon Stonehelm someday..."

Sorry but what did your option give you in the last screenshot (I'm not familiar with Crusader Kings II)? Andren is a kind soul. That will make the future ... interesting.

Sorry but what did your option give you in the last screenshot (I'm not familiar with Crusader Kings II)? Andren is a kind soul. That will make the future ... interesting.

Basically, Andren gains the kind trait. I forget if it hurt or helped relations with his father. Normally, of course, I would have chosen an answer that would have been more characteristic of his guardian (the "tender back" option), but I decided to take this as an example of the child growing, and that maybe Lorys would let this one go, or permit this at this age.

As for the future...maybe finally we'll have more characters that aren't complete douche bags :p

It appears Lorys is getting a little soft in his old age :p At least where his children are concerned, anyway; he certainly hasn't lost any of his battlefield ferocity, it would seem. In fact, it looks like age has only served to make him more cunning.

Andren seems to be developing into a character who's going to be interesting in his own right once he grows up, especially in light of his upbringing.

Re traits: IIRC, "Kind" is the opposite of "Wroth" EDIT: "Cruel" in vanilla at least, so unless Lorys picked up that trait in the course of the playthrough (I don't remember off the bat if he did) it shouldn't degrade their relationship.

Last edited:
It appears Lorys is getting a little soft in his old age :p At least where his children are concerned, anyway; he certainly hasn't lost any of his battlefield ferocity, it would seem. In fact, it looks like age has only served to make him more cunning.

Andren seems to be developing into a character who's going to be interesting in his own right once he grows up, especially in light of his upbringing.

Re traits: IIRC, "Kind" is the opposite of "Wroth" EDIT: "Cruel" in vanilla at least, so unless Lorys picked up that trait in the course of the playthrough (I don't remember off the bat if he did) it shouldn't degrade their relationship.

I don't think he has the cruel trait. And yeah, the continued battles really upped his military craft big time, which led to him getting that appointment as the Master at Arms. That was a nice plus.

By the by, apologies this update was a little short...the next update will be more eventful, I promise.

Chapter 22: Andren

So far, the war had been going in their favor. The loyalists had not lost a single battle, and word had reached them that Lord Connington had taken Mistwood castle in a siege. Now, they were expected to have most of the loyalist forces arriving near the Weeping Tower in due time. Andren was excited to see them arrive, as that meant the appearance of a mighty army, a great number of banners, and even more lords and nobility. His father had assembled a decent sized force, of course, and he loved to see the three blood drops on white everywhere, but Andren was eager to see mighty battles like they had witnessed before in the Mistwood. So far, this "mopping up" procedure (as Ser Lester called it) had involved smaller scale battles, and oftentimes the enemy force had not proved much. Larger armies meant larger enemies, which meant larger battles, which meant the sort of sights that songs were sung of in taverns.

Sure enough, the Stormlander army arrived in January of 300 AL. Altogether, their forces numbered just a little over seven thousand, and had many of the same banners that Andren had noticed before. Lorys, Lester, and Andren were ushered into Lord Connington's command tent shortly after it had been set up. The other officers of the army were gathered around a familiar table, flanking either side of Connington, who was brooding over a map of the area with a sad look on his face. His eyes, obviously tired, lifted up when the trio of Threedrop personalities entered, though his expression did not change.

"Lord Lorys," Connington began, "you are here, good. You have done well with putting an end to that Cape Wrath force down here."

"It was nothing, really," Lorys replied, smiling. Andren had seen his father in immensely high spirits ever since he had been granted the position of Master at Arms for the Red Watch. Andren could not blame him – it had made him extremely happy as well. His own father, Lord Lorys, Ser Lorys, was now one of the most prestigious men in all of Red Watch. Surely in due time, he would make his way up to the halls of Storm's End itself.

"I will need all the men you can spare," Connington said. He lifted up a finger over the map, planting it down on Mistwood and tapping the area twice. "A small Cape Wrath force has joined up with the Dornish March army. They're here at last. 7800 men, under the command of Lord Paxter Selmy. They're coming down through Mistwood, and fast approaching us."

pBvKG87.png

"They have a small numerical advantage," Lorys said, "but a small one. A few good arrow volleys, some determined defenses, and we'll cut them down to a more equal size."

Connington sighed, "All the same, it will be difficult. Selmy's forces will be fresh and eager for battle. I will need you to lead the center again. I want you to drive at them as hard as you did in Mistwood. But be careful – this will indeed be a tough fight."

Lorys laughed softly, "Leave the center to me, Lord Connington – I will make you proud."

The expected battle came that February. As the battle lines approached, Andren could readily identify some of the standards, just as his father had taught him. Ser Lomas, who had led the southern flank at Mistwood, was now in the center. The western flank was commanded by Lord Paxter Selmy of Harvest Hall, a nobleman of the Dornish Marches. The eastern flank was commanded by Lord Eldon Estermont himself, one of the leaders in the rebellion. The Estermont banner – a turtle over a light green field – was a strange sight to see on a battlefield. Andren could only hope those who fought under him had some glorified opinion of what a turtle banner could mean.

"They've placed much of their force in the center," Ser Lester commented.

Andren bit his lip nervously, as he realized that Ser Lester was right. The western and eastern flanks were about equal in number for both sides, but in the center, the rebel army probably had about a thousand men over the loyalists. Lord Connington had been right – this was going to be a tough battle indeed. And sadly, Andren and his father had been placed in the toughest spot in all the battlefield.

The Dornish March army began to advance with its infantry first, the heavily mailed footmen marching in perfect rows towards the center. Andren's father gave the signal, and the loyalist footmen, equally mailed, now marched forward. Andren watched with fingers gripping his reins tightly as the two lines approached one another. When they finally met, the shouts and screams of battle began, nearly drowned by the sound of shield upon shield, sword upon shield, and sword upon flesh. Some years ago, when he had been much younger, Andren had feared the battlefield for the death and carnage that it brought about...now, however, it was almost expected. He knew what he would see, and he no longer feared it. All the same, that did not mean he loved it.

A loud clank was heard, and Lorys turned to see that his father had steadied his helmet. "They seem to be bringing the knights around," he said. Sure enough, Andren could see, far behind the infantry lines, a group of knights, bearing brown banners with three objects that seemed to be haystacks, fast approaching the lines. Andren's father gave a signal with his sword, and together with Ser Lester he surged forward with the contigent of loyalist knights, going out to meet them. Andren could not take part, of course – his father had once again refused any suggestion of that. He could, however, watch from the command post, and his father had even given him a cheap lens-tube to use, in order to see the battle in a closer, but safer, view.

Andren pulled out the lens tube and looked through it, just in time to see the two forces of knights crash right into each other. From the distance, he could hear horses whinny and and metal break as two groups of the greatest warriors in all of Westeros met in battle. He scanned about, watching as men were stabbed in the face through their visors, or arms and limbs were hacked where the body was exposed. He did not care. What he wanted to see was his father. He wanted to see Lord Lorys Threedrop, and know that he was safe and sound. He wanted to see his father fighting bravely, and courageously.

Finally, he found him, girded in the armor that Andren himself had helped strap on him that morning. He had just come in contact with someone who, like Lorys, wore exquisitely finer armor. Then, something dawned on Andren...was this Lord Selmy himself?! It must have been! Sure enough, when Andren squinted his eyes, he could make out the standard of Selmy on the knight's torso – the same standard on the banners of the knights that had attacked. His father was locked in combat with Lord Paxter Selmy!

Y7HgVqJ.png

The two men struck with their swords at one another. Suddenly, as their swords were pressed together, Lord Selmy reached out and grabbed Lorys under his helmet, around the neck. Lorys drew his sword back as if to swing again, but this time swung it over and downward, right into Selmy's horse. The steed went down, nearly crushing the knight underneath, but landing in such a way that he could lift his leg up from under it. Lorys turned and raised his sword to strike again, but Selmy counterattacked quickly: he thrusted his sword right into the neck of Lorys' own horse, killing it instantly. The horse bucked and readed a death throw, and Lorys quickly lifted his feet from the stirrups shoved himself backward, landing on his back just as the horse collapsed into the dusty ground. Selmy charged at him, and though Lorys had obviously been somewhat stunned by the fall, he was still capable of defending himself. As Selmy brought down his sword, Lorys shifted, missing the blow and standing back up to face his opponent on foot.

Andren, this whole time, was gripping his reins even tighter, smiling broadly as he said over and over again, "Kill him! Kill him, father! You can do it! You are a great knight! You can do it!"

Selmy and Lorys continued to pace one another, neither one daring to make a move. Finally, Selmy surged and attempted a thrust at Lorys' torso. Lorys waited until the last minute, and then spun, gliding harmlessly past the thrust, and then elbowing Selmy in the back of his helmet. The impact stunned Selmy, and the force of the blow sent him to the ground. While he was dazed, Lorys spun again, lifted up his sword, and drove it right into an exposed part of Selmy's side. It went clear through his rib cage. The Dornish March lord flailed for just a moment, and then went limp.

IrLPYcn.png

"Hooray father!" Andren cried out. He waved his hand, hoping his father would be able to see him waving. "Hooray, father! Hooray!" He was shouting all the more, hoping that over the screams, the cries, the shouts, the noise of weapons and the thunder of hooves, his father could hear him.

Then, in an instant, it happened.

Andren could see the dust behind Lorys start to clear, ever so slightly. He saw a footman suddenly appear, approaching Lorys from behind. He could see the cruel look in the man's eyes. He could see the man raise up a mace, with an end as round and large as a man's head. He could see the man lift it high, and then bring it down. And Andren could see it make a hard impact against the back of his father's head.

"Father!" Andren shrieked.

Through the lens tube, Andren could see his father stumble to his knees, and then topple over and fall. Then, dust enveloped the scene, and his body could not be seen at all.

"Father!" Andren cried out again. His voice cracked as he said the word. He couldn't think any more. He hoped this was all a bad dream. He hoped and prayed to the gods that this didn't mean what his worst fears were telling him. "Father! Father!" He kicked his horse and began to ride it towards the clash of knights. He rode past the footmen, towards the dust, and looked about. It was only then that he realized he was alone. The enemy footmen had advanced far along the line, and man of the loyalist knights had begun to flee.

Suddenly, a man grabbed at the reins of his horse, and caused it to gallop alongside his own. Andren began to hit at the man's hand, threatening to cut off his arm.

"No!" said the man's voice. At once, Andren recognized it as Ser Lester. "Come with me, Andren! I must get you to safety!"

The entire loyalist center was in retreat. Andren ducked down as one enemy knight came by and swung at him. He could see footmen scattering about the field, heading back towards their camp. It was only then that he saw loyalist troops coming in from the center, and distracting the rebel soldiers from pursuing Lester and Andren any further. The knight took the lordling some distance away, and waited until the fighting had died down. By the end of the day, the sky had become overcast, the crows filled the air, and the field was covered in corpses.

"Did we win?" Andren asked in a low, timid voice, as he and Ser Lester went back over the field.

"Yes, we did," Ser Lester replied, with a sigh, "both sides lost heavily...perhaps two thousand per side. But we've won. Lord Connington was right, Andren – it was not going to be a good day either way."

Ser Lester's choice of words sat uneasy with Andren. It was a good while of quiet riding before Andren could ask his next question, "Where is father?"

Ser Lester turned and shot Andren a sad, grieving expression that was enough of an answer. It was certainly enough to bring tears to Andren's eyes, despite himself. He could feel his hands grip the reins, and hear the leather tightening, and knew it could be heard – but at that moment he didn't care. When the two finally stopped, it was at a clearing in the sea of bodies. In the open space, Andren saw the dust-covered armor over his father's body, surrounded by Lockport footmen and knights. He dismounted quickly and rushed over to him.

Andren knelt down beside his father's body, lifting up his head with one hand and cradling his shoulders with his other arm. The sight choked the Lockport heir in the throat, and he had to cough before he could find words to speak.

"Father?!" he cried. "Father...Father?!"

Jnz60UY.png

Lorys stirred a bit. His visor had been pulled back from his helmet. Blood poured down one side of his face, and his eyes were rolled back into the side of his head. He was breathing, and he seemed to be conscious...but he made no effort to respond to Andren.

He is alright, Andren thought. Surely he is alright...he will rise again, he just needs to rest. He just needs to regain his strength. He will wake up, as if sleeping, and...

"He will live, Andren," Ser Lester said, kneeling down and placing a gloved hand over Andren's shoulder, "but the blow to his head was terrible. I am afraid...he may be like this for the rest of his life..."

Those words struck hard in Andren's mind. This meant his father would never talk to him again. His father would never joke with him again. His father would never lecture him again. His father would never shake his hear and share a laugh with him. His father would never sharpen his sword and offer to train him in the courtyard again. His father would never go out on horseback and train him how to joust again. His father would never look him in the eye, smile, and call him his son any more. All those days were suddenly gone...instead, he would simply see his father lying there, as if about to wake up...but never waking up. Somehow, this was even worse than the possibility of his father being dead.

Long ago, Andren had promised himself that he would not be like a little girl on the battlefield. He had promised he would not cry. Now, those promises meant nothing. Right there, beside Ser Lester and surrounded by his father's men, he wept. Andren let the tears flow, and he began to cry as hard as he ever had in his life. He buried his face in the cold, dirty metal of his father's armor, and he kept it pressed there as he hugged his father close.

The struggle that day would be called the Battle of Wailing Keep. For Andren, the fortress' namesake had another meaning...

Wow, I just knew that everything was going too well for Lorys. What trait did he get and what effects does it have? Poor Andren, he has finally accepted the reality of war only to experience this. Looks like the soldiers from the House of Threedrop won't be participating in battles anytime soon.

Wow, I just knew that everything was going too well for Lorys. What trait did he get and what effects does it have? Poor Andren, he has finally accepted the reality of war only to experience this. Looks like the soldiers from the House of Threedrop won't be participating in battles anytime soon.

The trait is Incapable. It basically means he's in a vegetative state he'll never recover from (or not by any means I know of). Your ruler can no longer do a thing personally, and a regent rules in your place. You can get all kinds of nasty events during a period like this, I believe.

Aww.... I liked Lorys damnit! I mean, sure, he may not have been the nicest human being out there, but I found him rather interesting.
Who knows, maybe he embraces R'hllor in his vegetative state and wakes up again. :p

And since I'm finally commenting I should probably tell you this: You are amazing, your writing is amazing, the way you form these characters is amazing. I've never been good with words, but I suppose you get what I'm trying to say :eek:o

Also, how are Lorys' other children doing? Any interesting personalities?

HOORAY!

I mean, so sad, so sad. Lorys totally didn't deserve this.

Well...that wasn't quite what I expected as a first response, ha ha :D

The trait is Incapable. It basically means he's in a vegetative state he'll never recover from (or not by any means I know of). Your ruler can no longer do a thing personally, and a regent rules in your place. You can get all kinds of nasty events during a period like this, I believe.

What Socdemparty said. Basically, it's the same thing as having a ruler of minor age. Some events are still open to you (the basic ones that deal with the functions of state), but stuff that your ruler would have to make personal decisions on are no longer capable.

Aww.... I liked Lorys damnit! I mean, sure, he may not have been the nicest human being out there, but I found him rather interesting.
Who knows, maybe he embraces R'hllor in his vegetative state and wakes up again. :p

And since I'm finally commenting I should probably tell you this: You are amazing, your writing is amazing, the way you form these characters is amazing. I've never been good with words, but I suppose you get what I'm trying to say :eek:o

Also, how are Lorys' other children doing? Any interesting personalities?

Thank you for your response and kind words :D I hope you continue enjoying this AAR.

His other children are a mixed bunch. Bonifer and Casper aren't getting very good or nice traits (compared to Andren), and Rhaella is actually probably going to be trained in the martial arts because of her budding skills there (I guess she's more like her father than her [unknown] mother).

Harsh. Taking a blow like that in battle, and right after the crowning glory of slaying his opposite number on the field himself. Death would have been more merciful than this.

I do wonder how Lady Eglantine is going to take the news, myself. Probably with a bottle of wine and a private party with the new maester, I'd imagine.

Harsh. Taking a blow like that in battle, and right after the crowning glory of slaying his opposite number on the field himself. Death would have been more merciful than this.

Yeah, my literal reaction playing the game was:

*Lorys becomes Master at Arms*
"SWEET!"
*Lorys kills an enemy in battle*
"AWE YEAH!"
*Lorys becomes incapacitated*
"...........nnnnnnnnooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

All these events literally happened within a few minutes of each other in terms of gameplay - the slaying an enemy/becoming incapacitated literally in the exact same battle. It bummed me out, but I also knew it would play well in the AAR, and make the storyline unpredictable. And hey, it's Game of Thrones, sooooo...

I do wonder how Lady Eglantine is going to take the news, myself. Probably with a bottle of wine and a private party with the new maester, I'd imagine.

I will take it as a compliment that everyone is so sympathetic towards Eglantine and her plight with Lorys. Shows I've written her character as one to be sympathetic with. :cool:

Ah incapable the bane of many a character in CK2. Poor Andren :(

"...........nnnnnnnnooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

My reaction was more like "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!", as I was expecting a death in that match.

Still sad to see it happen. Not what anyone would want (even if some would want him dead), and it leaves you in a precarious position. So what's going to happen to the rest of the kids?

Ah incapable the bane of many a character in CK2. Poor Andren :(

At least it happened when he was older, and not when he was young (yeah...I've had that happen in previous games...).

My reaction was more like "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!", as I was expecting a death in that match.

Still sad to see it happen. Not what anyone would want (even if some would want him dead), and it leaves you in a precarious position. So what's going to happen to the rest of the kids?

You shall find out in future updates :cool:

Since a lot of my fellow authors are doing it, I'm gonna do it too.

Be sure to go over to the Seven Kingdoms thread, where myself and many other of the (far more) talented authors in the CK2 AAR forum are each playing a part in the realms of Westeros, and sharing our experiences. Read, comment, subscribe, just show support...or the Ghost of Dermot will invade your bedroom at night.