• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nerio

Sergeant
16 Badges
Jul 20, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
Hi all,

I am currently playing as the Obotrites (Old Gods DLC) and was wondering whether it is possible to take another female ruler as
concubine? No matter what I do, there simply doesn't seem a way to make her such - not even if I declare war and then imprison her.

For the records - no, I haven't converted to Christianity and yes, I've tried asking her nicely... to no avail. :eek:o

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If she's imprisoned, you don't ask. You just go in and rape her.

If she's imprisoned, you don't ask. You just go in and rape her.

I'll try to explain better - when she's imprisoned, I can actually click on the "Take Concubine" button but she's not in the list.

I'll try to explain better - when she's imprisoned, I can actually click on the "Take Concubine" button but she's not in the list.

Are you sure that she's in your dungeons? Try doing it via her diplomacy menu. Otherwise, it may be a bug or some other problem impeding it (like pregnancy perhaps?).

Are you sure that she's in your dungeons? Try doing it via her diplomacy menu. Otherwise, it may be a bug or some other problem impeding it (like pregnancy perhaps?).

Yeah, she is. But I don't think pregnancy has anything to do with that, as she's still unmarried and definitely not pregnant... might be a bug, I'll try again.

Yeah, she is. But I don't think pregnancy has anything to do with that, as she's still unmarried and definitely not pregnant... might be a bug, I'll try again.

You won't know she's pregnant until two months after conception. Though I'm not sure if that should be a barrier (it's a barrier to set aside). Is she marriageable?

Do you already have the maximum number of concubines your religion allows?

It may, in fact, be hard coded that rulers may not be concubines.

I still haven't had any (I'm quite picky when it comes to this kind of things... :happy:) but yes, I think you may
be right; perhaps it's in really the code. What a pity, the girl has got all the right traits! Dang it.

Thank you both!

Last edited:

I missed that glaringly obvious part. :wacko:

Yeah you can't take any landed character as a concubine.
Concubines always become a member of your court, if they are not already, and a landed character can never become a part of your court.

Concubines always become a member of your court, if they are not already, and a landed character can never become a part of your court.

This is half correct. Your vassals can become a member of your court if they are a member of the Council.

This is half correct. Your vassals can become a member of your court if they are a member of the Council.

So - if I manage to imprison the Chieftess, revoke her title and then make her a member of my court that should work. Right?

Last edited:
So - if I manage to imprison the Chieftess, revoke her title and make her a member of my court it should work. Right?

You don't need to do the last part. Just being a prisoner technically makes one a member of your court. You just can't make them your concubine if they're landed.

You don't need to do the last part. Just being a prisoner technically makes one a member of your court. You just can't make them your concubine if they're landed.

Oh, OK then. Thank you!

The only fly in the ointment is that traits and stats are almost meaningless for a concubine. Their stats aren't added to yours like your wife but, genetic traits can be inherited by your children. Fertility traits are also used for the possibility of pregnancy. You can also use them to educate children but if they were a part of your court already you could use them for that anyway.

Children's stats from 0-6 are based solely on the primary parent and events triggered during early childhood. After 6 it's the guardian's stats and traits that matter.

The only fly in the ointment is that traits and stats are almost meaningless for a concubine. Their stats aren't added to yours like your wife but, genetic traits can be inherited by your children. Fertility traits are also used for the possibility of pregnancy. You can also use them to educate children but if they were a part of your court already you could use them for that anyway.

Children's stats from 0-6 are based solely on the primary parent and events triggered during early childhood. After 6 it's the guardian's stats and traits that matter.

But claims aren't meaningless if they can be inherited (and you can make them inheritable by declaring a war for them and white peaceing).