• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Derfel06

Storyteller
58 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
It seems that they didn't address most of the issues. No cadet-dynasties, no new plot options, nothing about the schism, no details about some cultures... This is just a mod which adds a new bookmark! Oh... And a law to exchange 10 vassals for 4 demesne. (Why would you want that?)

Are you sure it's going to be the biggest expansion? There is nothing interesting in this expansion except the chronicle book.

Because mods will fix it! Mods fix everything!!! Leave it up to the moders!!! Dohoho!!!

Put out one video that seemed rather half prepared.

Make massive assumptions about the DLC based on what is a very large lack of information

Idk guy maybe you should learn to wait to have all the information and not just rush to judgement, they literally barely mentioned the costume kingdoms and empire and basically said they didn't have anything stable to show on the changed regency yet

Also I personally dislike the parasites view of its only the free features I care about so I don't need the DLC when in truth the money from buying the DLC goes to paying for those because free features weren't actually made for free, its just paradox not being dicks and forcing the DLC on you, so go on not buying the DLC if you want but do remember that they didn't have to put this much work into the game, most games don't see 2 years of on going support

Here is the thing. I had allowed myself to get pumped for this livestream. After that disastrous press conference I convinced myself it was a fluke and
a) Paradox would never sell a DLC that basically only is a new start date
and
b) If Paradox are going to make a new start date they'll make sure they get it right.

I was wrong on both points.

Put out one video that seemed rather half prepared.

Make massive assumptions about the DLC based on what is a very large lack of information

Idk guy maybe you should learn to wait to have all the information and not just rush to judgement, they literally barely mentioned the costume kingdoms and empire and basically said they didn't have anything stable to show on the changed regency yet

Also I personally dislike the parasites view of its only the free features I care about so I don't need the DLC when in truth the money from buying the DLC goes to paying for those because free features weren't actually made for free, its just paradox not being dicks and forcing the DLC on you, so go on not buying the DLC if you want but do remember that they didn't have to put this much work into the game, most games don't see 2 years of on going support

^ This.

Here is the thing. I had allowed myself to get pumped for this livestream. After that disastrous press conference I convinced myself it was a fluke and
a) Paradox would never sell a DLC that basically only is a new start date
and
b) If Paradox are going to make a new start date they'll make sure they get it right.

I was wrong on both points.
A: They are introducing new features and overhauling many old features.
B: It is a BETA. A BETA, dude. BETA, BETA, BETA. Read: BETA. You have absolutely *0* idea of whether they've done it right. Beta.

The new features are in the free patch, not the dlc.
Many new features are in the patch, yes. Many will be in the expansion. Hence the claim that this will be the biggest expansion they have ever done. Plus, I have no doubt that they will unveil many new insights and additions over the coming months, They admitted that they plenty of information that they weren't ready to show. Beta.

Yes the new features will be in the patch rather than the dlc, but I doubt they'd be still adding new features for a 2 year old game if they weren't still making dlc.
I'll buy it because I expect I will get many hours of extra play from it and to support Paradox so they still keep adding to and improving the game. Because I'm a cheapskate I'll probably wait until its on sale though.

There was literally one thing that made me keen about this DLC. Tribal holdings, meaning new steppe mechanics! However, these are already included in the patch.

I hope customisable kingdoms and empires are contained in the DLC, because then I could just make a huge bow around it and be happy.

Hopefully Paradox will take note that this is not the way forward.

Yes the new features will be in the patch rather than the DLC, but I doubt they'd be still adding new features for a 2 year old game if they weren't still making dlc.
I'll buy it because I expect I will get many hours of extra play from it and to support Paradox so they still keep adding to and improving the game. Because I'm a cheapskate I'll probably wait until its on sale though.
It stretches suspension of disbelief that they won't keep some big features for the DLC. Afterall, they haven't announced everything.

You made an entire thread stating you won't buy a DLC because of lack of features when all of the features haven't even been announced yet. Yes, I do believe that is beyond stupid.

You made an entire thread stating you won't buy a DLC because of lack of features when all of the features haven't even been announced yet. Yes, I do believe that is beyond stupid.
Exactly. It's the mind-numbingly dullest kind of reactionism. It's funny how every expansion is greeted by a wave of cynics, pouring out of the wood work.

I think if you look at TOG before the Dev Diaries, we had this same thing of no one wanted nothing to do with it, until it's last dev diary when most people were practically throwing money at their monitor screens, so I feel all this pre-judgement on this expansion is just a waste of time, because by the last dev diary which is going to be one or two months from now, it's going to be the same thing all over again. :|

In all seriousness and with no attack intended towards Paradox or the DLC which is still in beta, you do seriously have to wonder what is in this DLC to entice anyone into buying it and what the plan was behind it. I mean they basically confirmed in the stream that almost all the added features with be added through patches for free.

Buying the DLC expands the campaign by 100 years. Now I don't know about anyone else but I often don't even start in the 867 start anymore. The game almost always becomes arcady and messy from that start date and I don't find it enjoy able.

The other thing that the DLC allows you to do is "play as Charlemange". Ignoring the fact that that is essentially the same thing as moving the start date back, what exactly is the point of an expansion that's main point is adding a new person and making him interesting in a game that's main objective is building a powerful dynasty over several centuries?

With your permission Teten1, I'd like to bring in evidence from other DLCs, dare I mention the god-forsaken Mediterranean portraits?
With all due respect, they really do need to fix the Mediterranean portraits...

Personally, I own all the DLC, and plan to buy Charlemagne ASAP, but seriously, there's nothing wrong with revisiting old DLC (Med. portraits) to bring it up to the quality standards of the newer DLC (Norse portraits)... after all, we did pay for it.. and if fixed, I imagine a lot of new buyers would show up as well...

I actually like Sunset Invasion from a pure gameplay perspective, (and though I doubt it, given the harsh criticism of Sunset, I'd like to see more Historical Fantasy/Alt History stuff come out officially from Paradox in addition to the epic stuff coming out from modders in this area), and the fact that they gave the EU3 converter special content for Sunset Invasion made it, probably actually worth the full price (IMHO), but the Mediterranean portraits did disappoint...

And in case the OP is still following this thread and reading our replies:
I would say, give it a chance... if you can spare the cash, why not? Did you like Old Gods? If so, then its more likely than not you'll enjoy Charlemagne...

The feature I'm most looking forward to is the story-scenario mode as Charlemagne... while CKII is first and foremost a sandbox game, I've always wanted to see more special story-driven event quest-lines... I'm expecting it to be something along the lines of what AGoT modders made for Daenerys Targaryen, which is one of my favorite things in that mod... so I can hardly wait to see what Paradox itself can do along these lines...

Last edited:
I really like several new features, especialy the tribes!
There was also many other interesting features, but vast majority of them will be in the patch.

So basicaly, there is a law and a bookmark (which I don't like to be included) and several other things which were not mentioned yet. I still hope this is not gonna be the first DLC (except Sunset Invasion) I won't buy.

Maybe it's me, but I just love the idea of the new bookmark and the DLC in general. The Carolingian Empire will be awesome to interact with and a lot of the interesting Viking stuff happened before the 867 date. I like being able to shape Europe and in 769 not everything was set in stone. All I know is that it has more interesting stuff than the India DLC.

You still fail to realize that I have given no opinion regarding the expansion,but once again you can't hide the need to be the white-knight of this company. But that would all be tolerable if your approach would be at least more civil and not so boasting "I'm right you all who disagree are wrong,shove off."
After all cynicism is based on the lack of evidence,unless more evidence is given,the people of these forums have all the reason to be cynical. But since that makes you so angry,I suggest waiting a few weeks while the situation clears up :happy:
Isn't it funny that all the people accusing me of getting personal, personally attack me to do so? There is a lack of evidence for every expansion, with plenty of things only being revealed on the actual release. That has ALWAYS been the pattern with every expansion. There are two approaches you can take. You can be angry over not getting as much information as you want or not finding the information that is presented to be satisfactory to your fine tastes. This approach comes off as childish and entitled. The other approach is optimism. The game is 3 years old and every addition is a gift from the developer that if you don't like, you don't have to buy. I may act like the White-Knight for paradox, but you sure do love responding to my posts for somebody that doesn't have an opinion on the expansion. You can't even offer us a legitimate reason that the OP's premature opinion has any merits.