• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Romulien

Lt. General
19 Badges
Jul 2, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Major Wiki Contributor
I was wondering about open beta testing of the "free patch" prior to the DLC release. To my knowledge it didn't happen for 2.1, did it ?
Obviously the content unlocked by the DLC itself cannot be publicly tested prior to purchase, but the patch could be checked for regressions on already playable content.
Though I can imagine the marketing problem of having to delay a scheduled DLC release date due to testers reporting too many major bugs...

Since a lot of the patch will relate to features being created for the DLC, there's no realistic way to be able to test the patch without the DLC data.

Anything that calls an event, decision, or even a scrap of code created for the DLC just wouldn't work.

Indeed whole "DLC data" is needed, as there is no distinction between free patch stuff and DLC stuff - except for some DLC specific portraits maybe.
But is that an issue ? It's a beta test of what someone who doesn't buy the DLC would get, after the game automatically updates itself:
- New mechanics (tribal system, assassination plots, etc.) are active.
- Features unlocked by the DLC (new start date) are locked, and events with has_dlc = "Charlemagne" (or with hard-lock) don't fire.