• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I liked the complexity of HoI1 techs and the tech teams from HoI2. Too bad no one thought to combine those features, it would have been awesome.
I liked the complexity of HOI1 techs. I was actually going to check if there was a map mod for HOI1 and reinstall it.

Regarding HOi4, the combat looks like a definite step down.

Imho, it feels like that Paradox won't admit that the amount of provinces in HoI3 was way too high in terms of micromanagement when considering what is a tactical game and what is strategic. So they are "keeping" the number of provinces. However, I think they realize it is too much clicking and management for a strategic game, so with the new "paint paths on the map" and grouping of provinces, they are effectively reducing the number of provinces by grouping them together (aka returning to a strategy game). The only difference is now you get an on-map display of frontages/abstractions that were in previous games (was I the only one who felt that Poland had about the same number of 'real' provinces as HoI2 in their video demo?). Oh, and ultimate control of your units is dictated by the AI. I do like some of the convenience features, such as setting a defensive line automatically for you, although given the preference AI has for creating weird OOB, I don't know how much I would trust it to not mess up my OOB. You can still micromanage ofc but I wouldn't want to. At least it evens the odds somewhat for the AI given that the player will depend on an AI to execute their plans as well.

tl;dr: Paradox has returned to a HoI2 map in HoI4 while claiming it is the HoI3 map.

I think their air changes could be good. Doesn't change the actual model too much, time will tell.
Not a fan of their new tech tree.

Last edited:
I remember when we were at the same stage with HOI3 as we are now with HOI4, and people were raising their eyebrows at the number of provinces. Those who expressed fears that there would be too much micro-management were told that they could always leave the detailed fighting to the AI.:mellow:

Now the same thing is happening again, only this time it seems that you can at least give the AI more detailed directions. I just hope that the AI will really be up to the task this time.

I will certainly give HOI4 a fair chance - possibly making a "WIF3" if I like the game - and keep modding/playing DH :)

Well hopefully modding on HoI4 is easier than EU3/V2, where you have to restart the entire application 99% of the time for the smallest of changes to test if it works (not required for DH, except for misc.txt or string changes, you only need to reload), or that the engine needs to rebuild the map cache for non-map related changes, which takes forever. Granted, modding Total War is even worse, they save the database in the savegame, so if there's an error there, you need to restart the entire campaign. :/

I will very probably stick with DH. Perhaps infinitely. People are still playing Settlers II and AoE II, so why not DH?
probably the best post in this thread. you nailed it. i like retro-playing and modding a lot.

One of the recent Dev Diaries stated that there is no means to add new models. That doesn't bode well for mod-ders.

One of the recent Dev Diaries stated that there is no means to add new models. That doesn't bode well for mod-ders.
i missed that but i would not put it past paradox to kill the modability...

that said, i am very critical of hoi4, it seems they have some good ideas but so they did with hoi3 and they messed those up so much that tfh only made it barely playable compared to DH and AOD, i will stick to AOD and DH untill hoi4 proves better than both and that may take several years unless paradox breaks their historical molding

probably the best post in this thread. you nailed it. i like retro-playing and modding a lot.

And this, IMHO, is the key point. As the average age of gamers has really increased (mid thirties now) the ability to mod games, and more importantly to create mods that have developments lengths of years, even 10's of years has changed the PC gaming industry. Developer, who need to make money, can just not really compete with dedicated modders who work for free. This has got to the stage where I rarely buy newly released games, but instead wait around a year or so, buy the game, and then look for the best mods. Out of the last 10 games I have purchased, about 8 of them I have never played in their vanilla flavour, adding mods to them straight out of the box. Because of this dynamic, mods, and PC gaming has never been better.

yes but commercial devs could react to this by adding conversion tools for modders. no modder wants to repeat himself two or more times and doing the same thing again and again. conversion tools could solve this.

Imho, it feels like that Paradox won't admit that the amount of provinces in HoI3 was way too high in terms of micromanagement when considering what is a tactical game and what is strategic. So they are "keeping" the number of provinces. However, I think they realize it is too much clicking and management for a strategic game, so with the new "paint paths on the map" and grouping of provinces, they are effectively reducing the number of provinces by grouping them together (aka returning to a strategy game). The only difference is now you get an on-map display of frontages/abstractions that were in previous games (was I the only one who felt that Poland had about the same number of 'real' provinces as HoI2 in their video demo?). Oh, and ultimate control of your units is dictated by the AI. I do like some of the convenience features, such as setting a defensive line automatically for you, although given the preference AI has for creating weird OOB, I don't know how much I would trust it to not mess up my OOB. You can still micromanage ofc but I wouldn't want to. At least it evens the odds somewhat for the AI given that the player will depend on an AI to execute their plans as well.

tl;dr: Paradox has returned to a HoI2 map in HoI4 while claiming it is the HoI3 map.

I think their air changes could be good. Doesn't change the actual model too much, time will tell.
Not a fan of their new tech tree.
HoI4 is having ~15k prov overall. A DEV stated that just recently again ;)
So very similar to HoI3. And what we can see in some pics are the region borders. If you zoom further you will see the provinces, same as in HoI3.

We'll only know after the release what it will be like all over.
So far I've seen mostly changes that handle things different again to HoI2 and HoI3. So all would need to adjust to that new stuff.
What we definetley can expect is quite some smaller and bigger DLC's after release like with CK2/EU4 wich will add to appearance and game mechanics.
So all what will not be in from the start, can maybe be added shortly after, as the time of bigger expansions like with HoI3 and longer dev cycles are not hapening again.
STEAM only with all its benefits/downsides for some is also a sure bet.

HoI4 is having ~15k prov overall. A DEV stated that just recently again ;)
So very similar to HoI3. And what we can see in some pics are the region borders. If you zoom further you will see the provinces, same as in HoI3.
I know that, they stated they have the same amount of provinces in the stream, I'm referring to 'real' provinces in the fact that the planning of battles in the stream used larger province groups (or regions/areas), so it felt that the 'effective' number of provinces is now HoI2 level. The 15k amount feels like it instead is being used to model concepts like frontage or ambushes. Anyway, you are right, we won't know until it is released.

Afaik you can see the prov borders in the preview too if you stop it and look carefully at the 3d modells sourroundings.
The statement I meant was done in the forum recently as some other asked how many provs HoI4 would have.

And they just used the mouse to group more of those units together into one of the 3 attack groups.

After all It seems that there is a new way to ease the micro of units assignment into a more comfortable way like with HoI1-2.