• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TotalyMoo

Manager of Things
94 Badges
Jun 5, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Greetings!

This is a work-in-progress thread where I'll add tons of frequently asked questions and relevant information. Please comment if there's something you're missing :)

Q: Previews, reviews, interviews and videos
A: New
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2860...ore-like-simcity-than-simcity.html#tk.rss_all
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/17/cities-skylines/
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...h-player-freedom-in-mind.html#~oYIfU2qlppGwme

Old
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00019106-cities-skylines-gc-2014-preview.htm#infos
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2499...we've+always+dream+of+making+a+city+builder"/
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/21/plotting-your-urban-sprawl-with-this-cities-skylines-preview/
http://nerdsontherocks.com/preview-cities-skylines/

Q: System requirements
A: Preliminary system requirements:
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual core
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 8800, 512 MB RAM or ATI Radeon HD 3850, 512 MB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 3 GHz Quad core
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX460, 1 GB RAM or AMD Radeon HD 6850, 1 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Q: Will it be 32 or 64 bit?
A: 64 bit

Q: What systems are supported?
A: Windows, Mac & Linux

Q: Got any active fansites?
A: http://www.skylinescity.com/ Also forums on XLNation, Simtropolis and CiMExchange

Q: Who are the developers of this title?
A: Colossal Order, a Finnish studio who previously released Cities in Motion 1 and 2

Q: What kind of public transportation is to be expected?
A: Lots of options, manual route placing

Q: Will there be a day / night cycle?
A: Not at release, no. (LINK TO STATEMENT WHEN I FIND IT)

Q: How will the lack of day / night cycle affect the gameplay?
A: It won't, time passes really fast and day-to-day management is not a core gameplay feature

Q: How large is the maximum map size?
A: 36km2 - can be unlocked by modders

Q: What does "hardcore" imply?
A:

Q: Does the game feature modding support?
A: Yes! We're building custom tools as the game is made in Unity, working with modders is one of our core goals

Q: Which 3D programs can I use for modding?
A: Anything that can use FBX files

Q: What kind of realism level is to be expected?
A:

Q: Will there be post-release support?
A: Tons of it!

Q: Are there neighboring cities?
A: No, but you can import resources you need from fictional neighbours

Q:
A:

Q:
A:

Last edited:
In the top list, you refer to a day/night cycle, and I think that this Q answered will still leave a doubt. I said in another post some-place on the forum that although a night view was incredibly important, it need not be a cycle necessarily, obviously a cycle would be best, but at least there should be a switch.

A dev' has replied to the general question about night-time thus:

"We believe our efforts are needed elsewhere than adding a day/night cycle that would be purely a visual feature in Cities: Skylines. The decision has been made and there will not be a day/night cycle at launch. We'll see what happen after the launch later I hope this is not the feature that defines if Cities: Skylines is a good game or not!"

So, "The decision has been made... we will see what happens after launch later." and you hope it's not a game defining decision.

I'd like you to be clear about the presence of a switch. Failing that, I'd like you to be clear about the presence of a cycle or switch in the future. Failing that, I'd like you to be clear about the mod tools leaving this open to the moders to do the work and give us a night-time switch.

I agree with CO that time is better spent on the game right now. I agree with everyone on the forums who says they like to see the night-time too. Please be very clear on the matter; I don't want to see what happens later; I want to know that, even if it's left to the moders, I will get a night-time view at some point.

I agree that it won't define if CSL is a good game. It may well define how good looking a game CSL is however.

In the top list, you refer to a day/night cycle, and I think that this Q answered will still leave a doubt. I said in another post some-place on the forum that although a night view was incredibly important, it need not be a cycle necessarily, obviously a cycle would be best, but at least there should be a switch.

A dev' has replied to the general question about night-time thus:

"We believe our efforts are needed elsewhere than adding a day/night cycle that would be purely a visual feature in Cities: Skylines. The decision has been made and there will not be a day/night cycle at launch. We'll see what happen after the launch later I hope this is not the feature that defines if Cities: Skylines is a good game or not!"

So, "The decision has been made... we will see what happens after launch later." and you hope it's not a game defining decision.

I'd like you to be clear about the presence of a switch. Failing that, I'd like you to be clear about the presence of a cycle or switch in the future. Failing that, I'd like you to be clear about the mod tools leaving this open to the moders to do the work and give us a night-time switch.

I agree with CO that time is better spent on the game right now. I agree with everyone on the forums who says they like to see the night-time too. Please be very clear on the matter; I don't want to see what happens later; I want to know that, even if it's left to the moders, I will get a night-time view at some point.

I agree that it won't define if CSL is a good game. It may well define how good looking a game CSL is however.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely take this into consideration when drafting the answer for that question. It's honestly turned out to be a bigger community want than I expected and - hopefully - it will make its way into the game one way or another.

^

Cheers. Something else occurred to me: night-time need not be "purely a visual feature."

Maybe in one of their meetings CO might discuss a post launch DLC that adds a full day/night cycle and associated features: crime (creeping burglars, hookers), stars, foxes, fireworks, traffic location and density changes. I'm sure there're more too.

The decision has been made and there will not be a day/night cycle at launch.
:wacko: My decision has been made and there will not be a buy at launch. Come on, guys! Even the big fail CXL had one and CiM, even though it was kinda poor. This is not only an important graphical issue for me, but also concerns the gameplay in a critical way (rush hours).

:wacko: My decision has been made and there will not be a buy at launch. Come on, guys! Even the big fail CXL had one and CiM, even though it was kinda poor. This is not only an important graphical issue for me, but also concerns the gameplay in a critical way (rush hours).

Rush hour isn't as important to simulate in a city builder as it is in a public transportation game. Moreover, days are usually seconds rather than dozens of minutes (as it was in CiM2) in a citybuilder. The abstraction is completely different in a citybuilder.

Even Traffic Giant - the old public transportation classic - had no day/night cycle and that worked fine. SC4 had a cycle, but it had no real effect on gameplay, it only had visual cues. Yes, SC4 had a morning and evening rush hour mechanic, but it was not a mechanic to the moment you were look at the game, since days passed by in seconds. Even CS could have a morning/evening rush hour mechanic to give you an idea of when the roads are clogged, but it is hardly important to have the visual cue to get the mechanics readily available.

If I recall correctly, you could even turn off the day/night cycle in SC4 and none of the mechanics were lost. The visualisation of day/night cycle does not concern the gameplay in a critical way. It's a simulation after all.

Rush hour isn't as important to simulate in a city builder as it is in a public transportation game. Moreover, days are usually seconds rather than dozens of minutes (as it was in CiM2) in a citybuilder. The abstraction is completely different in a citybuilder.

Even Traffic Giant - the old public transportation classic - had no day/night cycle and that worked fine. SC4 had a cycle, but it had no real effect on gameplay, it only had visual cues. Yes, SC4 had a morning and evening rush hour mechanic, but it was not a mechanic to the moment you were look at the game, since days passed by in seconds. Even CS could have a morning/evening rush hour mechanic to give you an idea of when the roads are clogged, but it is hardly important to have the visual cue to get the mechanics readily available.

If I recall correctly, you could even turn off the day/night cycle in SC4 and none of the mechanics were lost. The visualisation of day/night cycle does not concern the gameplay in a critical way. It's a simulation after all.

This. would like to have it as a visual feature just to look at my city rather than an actual game mechanic like Sim S*itty 2013 where it didn't work that good to say it mildly. If the game is good enough i will probably not even notice as the time is flying by.

I don´t see why it shouldn´t be tried just because others failed with it. You don´t do that with other aspects of the game, do you? If you think you don´t get a majority of players for that: fine. Your call. I am simply as disappointed as I was hyped just a week ago. Rather sooner as later I guess. I wish you all the success for your game anyway, maybe it will lead to something I can really enjoy one day too.

If someone could do an excellent simulation mechanic like what they tried in SC5 (and failed), then that would be excellent. But the problem is that that system requires A) a lot of resources (if you want to simulate large cities) and B) a lot of work dedicated to this mechanic alone.

The old simulation systems in SC, which they amusingly ridiculed before the release of SC5, worked a lot better, because it could function on much larger scale and the mechanics were simpler. Generalised simulations are a lot easier to do and a lot less resource requiring than actual simulation.

There is a reason why the maps are so small in SC5, because if they were the size of SC4 maps, the servers and (eventually) your machine wouldn't be able to keep up. I'd rather CO focused on other aspects of the game than actual simulation, because they are likely to fail as well. It's important to know your time limit, your experience limitations and what is important. Actual simulation is unfortunately not that important.

If someone could do an excellent simulation mechanic like what they tried in SC5 (and failed), then that would be excellent. But the problem is that that system requires A) a lot of resources (if you want to simulate large cities) and B) a lot of work dedicated to this mechanic alone.

The old simulation systems in SC, which they amusingly ridiculed before the release of SC5, worked a lot better, because it could function on much larger scale and the mechanics were simpler. Generalised simulations are a lot easier to do and a lot less resource requiring than actual simulation.

There is a reason why the maps are so small in SC5, because if they were the size of SC4 maps, the servers and (eventually) your machine wouldn't be able to keep up. I'd rather CO focused on other aspects of the game than actual simulation, because they are likely to fail as well. It's important to know your time limit, your experience limitations and what is important. Actual simulation is unfortunately not that important.

It's very refreshing to see your posts, Svip, as you're pretty much spot on here. Adding a day/night cycle in the current scope could very possibly lead to other parts of the simulation suffering due to lack of time and care. Our team is very aware of the wants and needs of the city builder community, and you're all doing a great job of continuing to communicate them here (keep it coming!) but you have to understand that if we tried to do everything that sounds nice we'd end up with a pretty feature bloated mediocre game.

I'd much rather see a scenario where such things are added later either by us or modders.

I'd much rather see a scenario where such things are added later either by us or modders.
Then please explain me: how are you planning to implement something like this later on, if it affects all buildings and many other things on the map? I don´t know how you are working with your models, but you would need a "ill" map for that, right? You´d need lights on cars, lamps ect with particle effects or another system (right?). Seems to me like a pretty big call for a modder and since the devs seems to have absolutely no priority in this direction it seems to me that it be exactly that.