• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm going to have to reboot the AAR. We finally tracked the crash down to a map problem, specifically baronies assigned to 2 different provinces in history/provinces. I'll wait a while until Jamie550 updates the Validator so I can make sure there aren't any duplicate baronies in other provinces.

Jamie550 has delivered a new version of Validator which found several more stray baronies, so I'll be restarting this soon, from a fresh start (Despotate of Isauria's setup has changed somewhat changed, and the building system replaced, so resuming is impossible from the last update is impossible.)

Reboot Chapter 1

Chapter 1
A Dream from Arinniti?

I called a meeting of the Royal Council of Isauria. "Gentlemen, last night I had a dream. A lady, limned by a blinding light, appeared to me. She showed me ruins in a mountain valley, and commanded me to rebuild... I don't know, Hatshade? Catshop? I can't quite seem to remember that part."

Polykarpos par Sauatra, my Pneumatikos Pater, spoke up. "Sire, might that have been Chattousa?"

"Yes, yes, that must be it! Um, what's Chattousa?"

"As is written in our sacred histories, before we of the Luwian faith were driven from our homeland into Isauria, we ruled a vast empire which treated with the Pharaohs of Egypt as equals. The capital of that empire was at Chattousa. As you would know if you had ever made the pilgrimage to the capital of the neighboring kingdom of Galatia, or even had paid attention in our classes, the ruins are even to this day visible, though some say that those are but the remains of Emperor Leo III's attempt to revive the city."

"Well, then, I guess we'll just have to get the place from the Galatians. Surely they have no interest in a bunch of dusty ruins?"

Alexios Manikophagos, Strategos of Attaleia, my Domestikos, and a cursed Illuyanka worshipper, rose and pounded on the table. "Sire, that is the site of their capital. The Galatians are a proud and warlike people, and would not surrender it lightly. And I will not sanction wasting our few resources in a vain attempt to take it from them especially to glorify you damned Luwians, when we scarce have enough manpower to repel their attacks, even with the aid of the Isaurian Guard and the Consorts of Arinniti."

Niphon Mesanaktis, Strategos of Phrygia, worshipper of Tarhunt and the greatest domestic threat to my rule, looked daggers at Alexios before speaking up. "Much as it pains me to agree with that Illuyankan dog, he's right."

Isaias para Seleukeia, Strategos of his namesake province, stood next. "Much as fulfilling your dream might be personally pleasing to me, I fear it would get little support from my subjects." Most of the populace of Seleukeia were Solar Christians, worshipping the Nazarene as the Sun Incarnate.

"Well, it shouldn't be that hard to get the resources, right?"

Simonis, my Sakellarios and concubine, stood up and shook the sheaf of figure filled papers she was rarely seen without, aside from my bedchamber. "Sire, we have scarce recovered from the last war with the Galatians, in which, might I remind you, we only avoided losing because their king died, and they all went back to squabbling amongst themselves... which, I might add, we do entirely too much of ourselves. We are years away from being able to afford another serious war with the Galatians. And there are also Pergamon, Kilikia and Nicaea to worry about, and the Imperium Romanum, though much reduced of late, is not toothless."

Niphon Mesanaktis, Strategos of Phrygia, worshipper of Tarhunt and the greatest domestic threat to my rule

"Details, details. I'm sure we can work things out in time."

Dismissing the council. I left the room.

Chapter 2
Civil War

Soon after Strategos Niphon had returned to Castle Dorylaion in Phrygia, he sent an ultimatum.

To Leon, Twelfth of his name, who styles himself Despot of Isauria:
Luwian dog, I will no longer countenance the restrictions you place on my actions. Reduce Crown Authority, or face me on the field of battle.

Showing the note to Strategos Alexios, I asked his opinion. "Twould be a near thing, thee and he, but know ye, Sire, while I will do my duty as Domestikos, ye'll get no troops from my Tourma. I can stomach neither Luwian nor Tarhunter disdain for my Lord Illuyanka, and will have no part of your spat."

Retiring to my bedchamber, I took council with my wife Thekla and concubines Simonis and Pelagia. Thekla opined that it was the perfect chance to curb Niphon's power, while Simonis and Pelagia worried about the cost.

In the end I decided to take the risk, and defied Niphon's challenge. The years dragged on with siege and counter-siege, during which time my darling Thekla gave birth to two children, first a daughter and then a son, the latter conceived after she escaped Ikonion Castle as the Alexios was setting up siege works around it. Unfortunately, neither survived infancy.

In the end, Alexios ran out of troops before I did, and was forced to surrender Phrygia to me by the terms of the peace settlement, though I permitted him to retain Pisidia.

The celebratory Feast to Aruna I commissioned after the war was over was marred when Strategos Alexios swallowed a chicken bone and died, choking. Since he had no heirs of his dynasty, the Tourma of Attaleia reverted to the crown.

Gameplay notes:
With the current setup of Isauria, Niphon starting a faction war soon after game start is almost guaranteed, unless you're very lucky with random stats and traits. Winning this war if you don't accede to the demands is a challenge as he starts with a demesne of 2 provinces to your 1, and Attaleia probably won't provide troops at first. I was lucky that all tbe neighboring realms got into other disputes and didn't try to pick off a province during the war.

I actually got an event to send my family into hiding when the siege of my capital started, shortly before getting the announcement that Thekla was pregnant for a second time.

Alexios actually refused to come to the feast (he wouldn't have enjoyed seeing Aruna defeat Illuyanka in the pre-feast skit) and died of choking on his food about a year later, but having him die at the feast made better story sense. His death without an heir not only enriched me, but meant I didn't have to spend authority to end his plot to have Isaias of Seleukeia revolt.

Chapter 3
War for Laodikeia

"Sire, might I bring your attention to the situation in Pergamon?" Daniel para Slege, my Mystikos, had the floor.

"That's our neighbor to the west, I think?"

"Yes. As you are probably aware, they seized the Tourma and Theme of Laodikeia from us during the reign of your father, Zenon VIII, as well as the Tourma of Lykia, part of the Theme of Cybarrhaeot. Right now they are trying to defend against both a peasant revolt, and an invasion from Chios, and are not faring well on either front. If you wish to gather more resources to support this dream of yours, now would be the moment to strike."

"Simonis? Could we afford this?"

My Sakelarios riffled through her papers before giving her opinion. "Barely, my liege, if you make it a limited war for just one of the tourma. We would likely go slightly into debt, but might be able to make it up from war spoils if you do not call upon the services of the Consorts of Arinniti."

"Laomedon, what do you advise?"

Laomedon para Isauria, my Kanikleios, thought for a minute. "Sire, both tourma are still recognized by all states we have relations with as legally part of Isauria. Of the two, I would advise retaking Laodikeia if we do go to war, as whispers are just beginning that it should become a permanent part of Pergamon. As long as Cybarrhaeot is divided between Pergamon, the island City-State of Rhodos and ourselves, the legal status of that theme will not change."

"Hektorios? Would this be as difficult a war as the last one?"

Hektorios, Archon of the city of Gaspadale, had replaced Strategos Alexios as Domestikos after the latter's death. "By no means, Sire. The revolting peasants are even now besieging Pergamon's capital, and it seems Basileus Artemidoros has no forces capable of combating them, or even the small force of Chiotes in Laodikeia. While no plan survives contact with the enemy, it should be a short, victorious war."

"Laomedon, have a war declaration drafted and ready for my signature."

"As you command."

---

To Artemidoros Attalid, Twelfth of his name, Basileus of Pergamon, greetings.

In as much as you illegally occupy and rule the Tourma of Laodikeia, which all recognize to be lawfully part of Our Despotate of Isauria,

We demand that you evacuate and surrender title of the aforementioned Tourma on pain of war.

Leon Isauros, Twelfth of his name, Despot of Isauria

"There. We are committed." Waving over a courier from the corner of the council hall where they waited by custom, I handed the parchment to him. "Deliver this to the Pergamese ambassador."

Of the war itself, there is little to say. A couple of sieges and Artemidoros, having lost his capital to the rebels, was begging to surrender.

And I get a game over at the start of the next war, dying heirless (the living daughter doesn't count, since I still have agnatic succession.) Would you guys like another full reboot, or should I go back to a previous save (middle of the civil war)?

Previous Save

Nice AAR; +1 for previous save to prevent yet one more complete re-start

- The opening civil war makes for an interesting game set-up, although unintended !

- Should we not give starting characters at least a male child to avoid this? What do you think?

- Also from a lore point of view Tarhuntites are not supposed to be despised by or to despise Luwian just on religious accounts; in fact they are as much Luwian as Ghazi Islamic are Sunnis. Tarhunt is the Ghazi Luwian if you want: a Martial deviation from the mainstream cult to protect the Luwian faith from infidels. Illuyankan, on the opposite, have never quite swallowed Leo III's reforms of the faith and use the evil serpent god Illuyanka as a focal point for resistance against mainstream Illuyanka; they are the Angra Mainyu of the Luwian group. Opinion modifiers are not tailored, as you know, but the sectarian trait of Illuyankan creates this effect anyway.

There's still a cumulative -30 opinion malus with Niphon (-10 religious differences, -20 communitarian, -10 communitarian, +10 Luwian). Not near as bad as with the Illuyankan Alexios (-35 heretic, -40 sectarian) but still considerable.

Ideally Tarhuntites should get an ad hoc, situational opinion bonus for Luwians. You may want to add this to the mod files. The reason why I did not start the job of inserting such ad hoc opinion modifiers in case of religions with a mutual affinity is just because it is a huge task, but otherwise, as discussed many times, in principles, it should be done - so feel free to do it at least for this particular relation if you wish so (it is not going to be a cheat! ;) )

Probably a net result of +10 / +20 would be appropriate between Tarhuntite and Luwian.

Edit: if you do so, probably the exact same modifier should be added between Ghazi and Sunni. That's all I see as totally obvious thing. Martial religions serving a Mainstream one.

I don't see a way to code that specific of a triggered modifier.

Well I guess that Tarhuntite and Ghazi must be re-assessed in terms of lore, at least for the time being, as being their own system barely tolerated by and tolerating their respective mainstream religions. Then your dialogue makes sense as it is, it reflects well the modifiers ;)

Rewind

Chapter 2
Civil War

Soon after Strategos Niphon had returned to Castle Dorylaion in Phrygia, he sent an ultimatum.

To Leon, Twelfth of his name, who styles himself Despot of Isauria:
Luwian dog, I will no longer countenance the restrictions you place on my actions. Reduce Crown Authority, or face me on the field of battle.

Showing the note to Strategos Alexios, I asked his opinion. "Twould be a near thing, thee and he, but know ye, Sire, while I will do my duty as Domestikos, ye'll get no troops from my Tourma. I can stomach neither Luwian nor Tarhunter disdain for my Lord Illuyanka, and will have no part of your spat."

Retiring to my bedchamber, I took council with my wife Thekla and concubines Simonis and Pelagia. Thekla opined that it was the perfect chance to curb Niphon's power, while Simonis and Pelagia worried about the cost.

In the end I decided to take the risk, and defied Niphon's challenge. The years dragged on with siege and counter-siege, during which time my darling Thekla gave birth to two children, first a daughter and then a son, the latter conceived after she escaped Ikonion Castle as the Alexios was setting up siege works around it. Unfortunately, neither survived infancy.

In the end, Alexios ran out of troops before I did, and was forced to surrender Phrygia to me by the terms of the peace settlement, though I permitted him to retain Pisidia.

Strategos Alexios refused to come to the celebratory feast to Aruna, citing religious differences. Some time later Zacharias para Sauatra, my Mystikos, reported on what Alexios had been doing during the feast... plotting to kill Strategos Isaias of Seleukeia!

I immediately relieved Alexios of his duties as Domestikos and replaced him with Hektorios, the lowborn Archon of Gaspadale, who I sent to Attaleia along with my household troops to "conduct training exercises in revolt suppression," with secret orders to arrest Alexios if at all possible.

I soon received this note from Hektorios:

Your Majesty, when I arrived at Attaleia Castle and attempted to arrest Strategos Alexios, I was refused entry. I fear he has raised his flag in revolt. Please send reinforcements, for while the Strategos is currently confined to his castle, my force is totally inadequate to conduct siege operations.

After raising the vassal levies and ordering them to reinforce Hektorios, I received another note, this one from Strategos Himerios of the Tourma of Bithynia, vassal to the Theme of Nikaea:

To Leon, self-styled Despot of Isauria,
Infidel dog, surrender the Tourma of Phrygia posthaste or I shall wrest it from you by right of Conquest to the greater glory of Jupiter Optimus Maximus.
Himerios para Nikaea, Strategos of Bithynia

"Zacharias, who is this... Himerios? And what is the strategic situation?"

"Himerios is the local governor for Belisarios II, Doux of Nikaea, our neighbor to the north. It seems that Belisarios is not sanctioning this war, but despite that Himerios has gathered over 1000 troops to Phrygia, though Arinniti willing, not before the Phrygian levies have reached Pisidia. However, with the ravages of the recent war with Strategos Niphon, we don't have enough troops to match the Bithynians, let alone fight them and Alexios at the same time."

"Simonis? Can we afford to hire mercenaries again?"

She riffled through her papers, then looked up with a serious expression on her face. "I'm afraid we don't have the funds to hire even the smallest mercenary company at the moment without taking a loan or requesting a special war tax. However..." She paused, and the corners of her mouth quirked.

"There is an alternative?"

A broad grin spread over her lovely face. "I do believe you have proved your devotion to Arinniti enough to persuade the Consorts of Arinniti to fight on your behalf, and since you are defending against infidels and heretics, they will even fight without pay."

I sighed. "I guess I must pay a visit to His Grace." Retiring to my changing room, I donned plain attire suitable for a supplicant and headed through the castle town to the priory which Grandmaster Ioannikos made his headquarters when in Ikonion. Being shy by nature, I tended to avoid meeting anyone not part of my court unless absolutely necessary.

After a short wait in the vestibule, where I prayed for strength to see me through the meeting, I was ushered in to meet the grandmaster, a man who had risen through the ranks of the Consorts to attain his current position. "Your Grace, I come to you seeking aid, not for my sake, but for the sake of Isauria. In the south, the worshippers of Illuyanka are revolting..."

"Hah! The mere act of worshipping that vile snake is revolting!"

"... and in the north, followers of a foreign god are invading. Without the aid of you and your men, I will not be able to protect the holy shrine of Lisdra from being defiled. Can I count on your help, in Isauria's hour of need?"

"Aye, by Ishara, goddess of oathtaking, I swear that we shall ride by your side, and follow even to the gates of the underworld itself! For Arinniti and the Thousand Gods! Down Illuyanka!"

The war itself was unremarkable, with the combined forces of Isauria and the Consorts first besieging Attaleia Castle. (Unfortunately, Strategos Alexios was able to sneak out a postern gate as his garrison captain was surrendering.) That accomplished, we proceeded north to disperse the Bithynians in Phrygia and retake Dorylaion Castle, and returned south to relieve the garrison left in Attaleia from the besieging force Alexios had raised from his vassals. (After this defeat Alexios sued for peace, and was stripped of his title.) Once again returning north, the few new forces Bithynia had managed to scrape together were defeated, and Himerios' castle put under siege. Deciding he had no more stomach for this war when his own property was at risk, Himerios also soon sued for peace.

In the aftermath, I soon received good news from the home front... first Simonis, then my beloved Thekla announced they were pregnant. When their times came, both delivered healthy babies!

Unfortunately, both were girls, and by law only men could rule in Isauria. I could change the succession law to allow women to rule...

Except.

By law and sacred tradition, I could not change the succession law without the full approval of all major vassals. While I could easily persuade Strategos Alexios to agree, Strategos Niphon, still "enjoying" his stay in the South Tower under heavy guard, hated my guts, and would sooner fight Illuyanka with one hand tied behind his back than see my daughter inherit.

It was clear to me.

Much as it would pain me to work in an underhanded manner, in order to secure the succession, Niphon must die.

The fact that, with his death, Pisidia would revert to the throne both made it more tempting, and greater cause for prayer.

Gameplay notes:
With the current setup of Isauria, Niphon starting a faction war soon after game start is almost guaranteed, unless you're very lucky with random stats and traits. Winning this war if you don't accede to the demands is a challenge as he starts with a demesne of 2 provinces to your 1, and Attaleia probably won't provide troops at first. I was lucky that all tbe neighboring realms got into other disputes and didn't try to pick off a province during the war. After sieges had worn both our forces down, I had about a 200 to 100 troop advantage, which I supplemented with a small mercenary band to destroy his force.

I actually got an event to send my family into hiding when the siege of my capital started, shortly before getting the announcement that Thekla was pregnant for a second time.

The save I used for this rewind was at a time after the back of Niphon's revolt was broken, but before its end. It was the most recent one that still had Leon XII on the throne; I'd been running monthly autosaves, and they'd been filled up with saves as his non-dynastic successor while I stared at the game over screen.

Leon is honest, has several of the virtues and none of the vices, and has rather low intrigue, so not only is it not my usual play style to use the murder game, but it doesn't fit his character to resort to it without extensive soul searching.

Pretty sure I do (or did at the time.)

Wooh. Glad to see you survived this time!

I haven't been taking any. What would you like screenshots of?