Which disasters would you like to have or see in Cities: Skylines?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

metrocity345

Recruit
Aug 15, 2014
I always liked the disasters feature in Sim City 4, Sim City 3000, and all of the Sim City series. Cities XL did not have a disasters feature.

It's great that C:SL will have a disasters feature sometime in the development or, in post-release.

Here are the disasters I would like to see in Cities: Skylines;

Natural Disasters

* Earthquakes

* Tornadoes

* Fires

* Meteor Strikes

* Tsunamis

Fictional Disasters

* Giant Monster Attack

* Alien Invasion (UFO)

Man-Made Disasters

* Nuclear Explosion

* Riots

* Plane Crash

* Train Derailment

* Acid Rain (from pollution)

Upvote 0
Peasant Revolution / Uprising (temporary government that puts all production on agriculture, random angry mobs destroy city blocks)

Spoiled Children Efficiency Drop (every new citizen becomes super lazy, entitled and will only take high pay low effort jobs)

Herbal Medicines Employed (major demotivation in both blue & white collar workforce, food consumption rises with 200%, heaps of "tourists", everyone starts caring about the environment)

Teen Superstar Visits (constant traffic jams, teens and sport fans clash in an epic fight over who gets the prime time at the stadium)

terrorism
vulcanoes
landslides
chemical spills
protests
civil war/anarchy/uprising (something that divides the population and requires lots more police and military to restore order)
floods
blizzards/storms
avalanche
structures collapsing because of bad maintenance

Another Michael Bay movie in cinemas.

ABBA reunion.

Boyband concert in the city.

Star Wars: Episode I.

Peasant Revolution / Uprising (temporary government that puts all production on agriculture, random angry mobs destroy city blocks)

Spoiled Children Efficiency Drop (every new citizen becomes super lazy, entitled and will only take high pay low effort jobs)

Herbal Medicines Employed (major demotivation in both blue & white collar workforce, food consumption rises with 200%, heaps of "tourists", everyone starts caring about the environment)

Teen Superstar Visits (constant traffic jams, teens and sport fans clash in an epic fight over who gets the prime time at the stadium)

Not sure if joking or not, but if the game goes that deep, I'm all for it :happy:

In general I wouldn´t like any "phantasy" disasters that just happen like that and especially only for the sake of having them at all. An example: Aliens appear over your town and destroy a significant part of it. I didn´t do anything to make them appear, I can´t do anything about it while it happens and after it I simply rebuild the destroyed part. That would be cheap gameplay I don´t hope to see here.
Disasters should have some sort of relation to your city, you should be able to influence IF they happen and HOW they happen, if they occur. The three eyed fishes should only appear if I reall dumped nuclear waste into a sea instead of dispose it properly. Catch my drift?
There are certainly enough "realistic" scenarious to choose from just have a look in the world, there is no shortage of conflict. What happens in Ferguson these days would be a most interesting scenario in a city builder. That Ebola outbreak would be another. Or Fukushima. Summer sale at the mall, it is hell on earth!

Not exactly a disaster, but I would like to see power shortages (which may or may not have been caused by a nuclear plant exploding or a dam breaking ;) ) have a major impact on the city - not just lights going off and upset cims, but public utilities should close (no power no school/hospital), metro/trams should stop running, traffic lights should fail, etc.

Yea, well, just to summarize list of realistic problems:
- power cuts / blackouts caused by overloading or low funding
- riots like in Ferguson now based on low police funding
- protests against high taxes

And some random ones:
- train crashes
- car crashes happening more or less often but not really affecting the game way too much. Maybe traffic jam for a minute or two

Cant find nothing more realistic.