• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not buying something is expression of a preference. If I buy every other DLC for $4.99 plus, but don't buy SI for $1.99 then it follows that I don't like SI as much as the other 6.

Besides, the thread is Rank the DLCs from most to least favorite, not rank the DLCs you bought from most...
Yep, that's why film critics rate movies they've never seen. Or sports journalists rank college football teams they've never seen play. Actually, that second one happens with startling regularity.

Expansions:
-Old Gods - Norse! Earlier start date means different characters to choose from and more years for world domination! Added tons of flavors for pagans
-Legacy of Rome - Retinues(even though they're OP). As a byzantophile, this is one my top DLC
-Sword of Islam - Lets you play as Muslim specially that I became tired of playing Christians. The decadence doesn't offer that much challenge though
-Sunset Invasion - I just don't care if this is a 'ahistorical content'. I really like this 'What if' scenarios. Adds challenge to the western part of the map. The sacrifice events are really nice.
-Rajas of India - Just more different characters to play
-Sons of Abraham - Got new awesome event line like Joan of Arc and Demonspawn. Other than that, meh
-The Republic - I just don't like playing republics, I felt that this is not the right timeline to play as them (even though they exists during this time)

Face Packs:
-Persian (I like the female portraits in this pack)
-Norse
-Celtic
-Mongol
-African
-Russian
-Turkish (Because of the visual bug)
-Mediterranean (do I really need an explanation to this?)

Ok, I'll tell my opinion:

'Proper' Expansions
1. Old Gods: Earlier start date, pagan play. Although non-norse pagans are bland, still great fun.
2. Sword of Islam: Muslim play and many muslim mechanics. My rating is based on the current state of decadence.
2½. (Rajas of India patch material)
3. Sons of Abraham: Religious mechanics (especially College of Cardinals), Jews and events, all nice.
4. Legacy of Rome: Retinues and Byzantium stuff. Not all that much, but not bad.
5. The Republic: Republics are different enough to feudal realms. Fun at times.
6. Rajas of India DLC Material: Yes, we can play as the Indians, but what else? I don't even remember.
This doesn't mean that RoI is bad by any stretch of the imagination, just bland.

I can't rate Sunset Invasion, since I haven't played it.

Facepacks:
1. Norse: They look nice and fit the "viking ruler", even if they don't portray, say, 15th century Swedes properly.
2. Celtic: I like them, even if some moustaches look like they are glued on.
3. Persian: Nothing wrong with them.
4. Russian: Just okay.
4 (tie). Mongol: Same as Russian.
5. Turkish: Strange gray skin.
6. African: Why do Ethiopian Miaphysites look like West African tribesmen?
7. Mediterranean: Goes without saying. Gettin' tired of them potatoes...

Other stuff
1. Dynastic coats of arms: A must for any playthrough.
2. Ruler designer: Nice for making your own character.
3. Music packs: Songs of the Caliph and Songs of the Old Gods always put you in the right mood.
4. Unit packs: Nice, but not very noticeable in the long run.
5. Customizer: Just not very much in this one, I'm afraid.

I have never used the converter, so I am unfit to say anything about it.

1) The Republic: pretty nice all in all.
2) Legacy of Rome: I play little in the area, but the events are fun. Also, retinues.
3) The Old Gods: incomplete, but the starting date is good.
4) Sunset Invasion: fun all round, but not exceptional.
5) Sons of Abraham: meh.
6) Sword of Islam: has had to be revised in one of its main aspects, and it still is pretty subpar.
7) Rajas of India: killed my performance for no gain at all.

1. Sword of Islam - Shoot me, but I like playing as Muslims (Maybe I have a secret lust of fratricide).
2. Old Gods - Basically the same logic as above, but for pagans.
3. Legacy of Rome - Retinues; only played a few Byzzie/Orthodox games, but they're always fun when I do.
4. The Republic - Don't play 'em often, but they're a nice change of pace.
5. Rajas of India - I've only played one game in India (With VIET Immersion before switching to SWMH, which doesn't have India currently), but I like the new religions (and mechanics) added.
6. Sons of Abraham - Played a Jewish game once... it was in Ireland (Yet to try the additional Jewish mechanics).
7. Sunset Invasion - Used it twice as a change-of-pace, not since.

1.b. Facepack DLC - More graphics, really shakes up the game and makes you feel like you're interacting with peoples of other cultures.

3.b. Unique Units DLC - Don't have these, but mostly cause I'm cheap; add more unique graphics to the game, always a good thing.
3.c. Ruler Designer & Customizer - Very useful, though they should be included with the base game.

5.b. Dynastic CoA's - Useful, but I rarely look at CoA's.

7.b. Songs DLC - Don't have music enabled for CK2 (iTunes or TV on as my background noises).

Last edited:
Expansions:
1. Rajas of India
2. Sword of Islam
3. The Old Gods
4. The Republic
5. Legacy of Rome
6. Sons of Abraham

Portrait packs:
1. Persian
2. Mongol
3. Indian (technically part of RoI)
4. African
5. Norse
6. Turkish
7. Celtic
8. Russian
9. Mediterranean

Good ones:

- Old Gods
- Sword of Islam
- Sons of Abraham
- Legacy of Rome
- Music packs
- Customization Pack
- Republic

Bad ones:

- Turkish portraits
- Rajas of India

Very bad ones:

- Med portraits (they looking like baked potatoes)
- Sunset Invasion

I'm starting to feel bad for the poor Med portraits

Same. I don't actually mind it myself, in fact I don't find them as terrible as people say, but each to their own.

-Legacy of Rome
-The Old Gods
-Sons of Abraham
-The Republic
-Rajas of India
-Ruler Designer
-Customization Pack
-Sword of Islam
-Facepacks (except Turkish and Mediterranean)
-Mediterranean Faces (Goddamnit why am I half-Levantine)
-Unit Packs
-Sunset Invasion
-Dynasty Coat of Arms
-Hymns to the Old Gods & Songs of Yuletide
-Music
-Turkish Faces (Sideburns and balding overload)

Same. I don't actually mind it myself, in fact I don't find them as terrible as people say, but each to their own.
I think they aren't completely terrible, but they are still ugly as seven hells!

Bought:
Really liked:
- The Old Gods
- The Republic

Liked:
- Sword of Islam
- Facepacks
- Ruler Designer

Meh:
- Rajas of India
- Sunset Invasion

Didn't like:
- Legacy of Rome

Didn't buy:
- Sons of Abraham
- Unit packs
- Music
- Dynasty Coat of Arms

Last edited:
1. The Old Gods - Playing as Zoroastrians is great and so is the extended timeline.
2. Rajas of India - Although my laptop occasionally struggles with it, the new religions and cultures are certainly welcome.
3. Sword of Islam - A bit disappointing really, but still worth the money.
4. Sons of Abraham - Very disappointing imo, but there were some nice features (such as pilgrimages and the College of Cardinals)
5. Legacy of Rome - The ranking of this one isn't a comment on the DLC, it's just that I've never played it. Sounds like a good DLC though.
6. The Republic - Same as LoR.
7. Sunset Invasion - Never played it, never will play it. Really don't like the idea.

DLC that I can't imagine the game without: Old Gods, the Byzantine one and the Islam one and all the face/unit packs.

Nice fluff: Republic, Sons of Abraham and Sunset Invasion. Song packs too.

Meh: RoI.

The way the devs seem to think the Med portraits look is great (the ones in the render thread)! The ones they actually released are not.
The renders have the benefit of being less orange, but they still look a bit off to me.

Do they have different people working on each pack? Some packs have a totally different style from others. If I had to guess who was making what I'd say one artist made Westerngfx, muslimgfx and mongols, someone else made med and norse, another made celts and russians and yet another made persians and turks.

The renders have the benefit of being less orange, but they still look a bit off to me.

Do they have different people working on each pack? Some packs have a totally different style from others. If I had to guess who was making what I'd say one artist made Westerngfx, muslimgfx and mongols, someone else made med and norse, another made celts and russians and yet another made persians and turks.

I don't know for the rest, but they did change artist after the release packs, yes.