• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
o_O Really?? I thought it was only Norse that could do that.

The official information said that only Norse could, and I believe official sources still say so, but since they have never changed or even indicated that there was a bug...

I think only the norse can sail up rivers, but any religion that allows raiding can raid by sea. I've definitely done it with Hindus.

This was what I'd been referring to. The fact that the pre-Christian Norse had only used small ships (suitable for river travel) doesn't discredit other regions' abilities' to build light ships suitable for river-raiding. The Sarpammugam, for example, was primarily used for this purpose.

Another gripe, of course, is that seemingly only the Norse and Byzantines are able to build ships at the initial start date, preventing any other groups from doing so (including Muslim and Indian nations.)

This was what I'd been referring to. The fact that the pre-Christian Norse had only used small ships (suitable for river travel) doesn't discredit other regions' abilities' to build light ships suitable for river-raiding. The Sarpammugam, for example, was primarily used for this purpose.

Another gripe, of course, is that seemingly only the Norse and Byzantines are able to build ships at the initial start date, preventing any other groups from doing so (including Muslim and Indian nations.)

Romans themselves were adapt at sailing on the rivers. They built specialized ships intended for rivers, and patrolled on all border rivers (and sailed on the Nile, also to get through the Pharaoh's Canal), and some small vessels even put on the Tigris and Euphrates to harass the Parthians in the event of war or to transfer supply during Trajan's conquest of Mesopotamia and Assyria. In the 4th century the larger part of the Roman navy was actually the ships sailing on the Danube and Rhine and supplying the armies on the border. The river-sailing structure in the ERE survived the fall of the western one and continued until the loss of Danube. I even recall reading somewhere that once Basil II effectively reconquered the Danube frontier, the Roman navy started to patrol the river again even if on an uncomparably small scale than before.

I sometimes wish Paradox didn't give this river sailing ability arbitrarily only to the Norse, it is just nonsensical. It is not only the Vikings who sailed up rivers. You have all those big rivers on the map, yet no ships to sail on them.

Romans themselves were adapt at sailing on the rivers. They built specialized ships intended for rivers, and patrolled on all border rivers (and sailed on the Nile, also to get through the Pharaoh's Canal), and some small vessels even put on the Tigris and Euphrates to harass the Parthians in the event of war or to transfer supply during Trajan's conquest of Mesopotamia and Assyria. In the 4th century the larger part of the Roman navy was actually the ships sailing on the Danube and Rhine and supplying the armies on the border. The river-sailing structure in the ERE survived the fall of the western one and continued until the loss of Danube. I even recall reading somewhere that once Basil II effectively reconquered the Danube frontier, the Roman navy started to patrol the river again even if on an uncomparably small scale than before.

I sometimes wish Paradox didn't give this river sailing ability arbitrarily only to the Norse, it is just nonsensical. It is not only the Vikings who sailed up rivers. You have all those big rivers on the map, yet no ships to sail on them.

Had no idea the romans used patrols. That's very interesting.

But what's most ridiculous the Holmgardr play-through: Your troops freely raid any county connected by river from boats but as soon as Helgi inherits, you can no longer navigate rivers.WTF?

Yeah. I reckon they should have tied river travel to shipbuilding technology. Connecting it to religion is just weird, and produces so many weird results (your Holmgardr example being a perfect case in point).

It's also probably worth mentioning that the Norse never had a proper "navy," as such. When performing river raids, only a couple of ships were actually used. It was as impossible for the Norse as it was for any other people in the world to send an entire fleet along a river, and yet the only restriction is the fortification level.

It got worse when the map extension was made, adding in two whole new rivers to India, only for it later to become apparent that only the Norse may sail upon these rivers.

Yeah. I reckon they should have tied river travel to shipbuilding technology. Connecting it to religion is just weird, and produces so many weird results (your Holmgardr example being a perfect case in point).

Early navies tended to be more capable of river travel than later navies, though. The restriction should probably be based upon the number of ships.