• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StrikerThrex

Sergeant
48 Badges
Jul 3, 2012
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • War of the Roses
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Honor
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
I've been looking around the net a little and been trying to find maps around the time period but haven't found much. Just curious in 769 are there more zoroastrian states left and does anyone know of any maps, particularly of the middle east around this time?

I've been looking around the net a little and been trying to find maps around the time period but haven't found much. Just curious in 769 are there more zoroastrian states left and does anyone know of any maps, particularly of the middle east around this time?

Maybe a few more, but not many, and definitely not strong enough to put up a fight against the Abbasids. There should be quite a few more Zoroastrian provinces though.

Are there any Sassanids still around in 769? I know some ran off to Georgia and elsewhere.

We already have one thread regarding this but I assume we have the Karen, Bavandid & Justanids. They likely have slightly altered starting strength and holdings. Bavandids likely start as dukes in this start for example.

Vandad Hormoz (Karen) led rebellion against Abbasids around this time, destroying several muslim armies. In game terms whole thing eventually ended in white peace :)

Depending on paradox, there might be some Zoros in de-jure Khiva in form of Sogdians. At least there should be. Whether independent or vassals to turks, remains to be seen. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure have some Zoro vassal or two among turks. If we have Sogdians, they are likely a vassal duchy.

Likewise, Alania should have Zoroastrians and possibly around Afghanistan. At least number of Zoro provinces in map is likely much greater.

Last edited:
Really? I'd be genuinely interested on the source to this.
Just look in wikipedia for Alania. Paganism and Zoroastrian beliefs stayed there until 10th century. In fact on modding forums people argue that Alania as Orthodox in ToG start is slightly ahistorical.

There is playable character in Alania who has a Zoro son in ToG start btw. Whether this translates to playable character remains to be seen but Zoro provinces certainly.

Just look in wikipedia for Alania. Paganism and Zoroastrian beliefs stayed there until 10th century. In fact on modding forums people argue that Alania as Orthodox in ToG start is slightly ahistorical.

There is playable character in Alania who has a Zoro son in ToG start btw. Whether this translates to playable character remains to be seen but Zoro provinces certainly.

Hmm... the reference in Wikipedia is to Encyclopedia Iranica, which I thoroughly trust, but the EI article itself doesn't seem to include the statement about Zoroastrianism. The only indication is to a process of Christianization from the 10th century, and a Muslim observation (Ḥodūd al-ʿālam) of a mixture of Christians and idol-worshipers. To be sure, Zoroastrian presence seems a relatively safe inference (I don't object to it as a hypothesis), but there certainly could have been remnants of the pre-Christian polytheism, the remnants of which seem to stand behind Ossetian mythology. 'Idol-worshipers' might be a more fitting term for such practices than Zoroastrianism, which Muslim writers usually denoted by other names.

Yeah, playing as Magkætæ was probably my favorite game in CKII, I love playing in Alania and doing a Zoroastrian game as them was amazing. I posted about it in the Empire thread, http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...K2-empire!&p=16671482&viewfull=1#post16671482

As for Zoroastrianism in Alania historically, it seems quite plausablle and makes sense, given the proximity and that the Alans were Iranian. Even if they weren't Zoroastrian though, Zoroastrian/Iranian Pantheon fits them more than Tengriism. Realistically, they worship the same deities as the Sarmatians, and their traditional Pagan faith survives(and thrives) to this today in Ossetia, but obviously I don't expect them to make a new Pagan religion just for the Alans. I guess they could rework the generic pagan faith, move the holy sites from Africa and Scandinavia(which have their own Pagan faiths) to have one in Ireland and one in Alania. Then just give the generic pagans reformation and make them work like the other defensive pagans. Still, I think it's really awesome they made some of the Magkætæ Zoroastrian, it make the game feel more dynamic by giving in to historical plausibility, which is good to do sometimes.

We already have one thread regarding this but I assume we have the Karen, Bavandid & Justanids. They likely have slightly altered starting strength and holdings. Bavandids likely start as dukes in this start for example.

Vandad Hormoz (Karen) led rebellion against Abbasids around this time, destroying several muslim armies. In game terms whole thing eventually ended in white peace :)

Depending on paradox, there might be some Zoros in de-jure Khiva in form of Sogdians. At least there should be. Whether independent or vassals to turks, remains to be seen. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure have some Zoro vassal or two among turks. If we have Sogdians, they are likely a vassal duchy.

Likewise, Alania should have Zoroastrians and possibly around Afghanistan. At least number of Zoro provinces in map is likely much greater.

Since the Sogdians also followed Manicheanism and because they influenced the Uyghurs to follow that religion if Paradox doesn't make it a stand alone religion within the Zoroastrian group then the Uyghurs would also be a possible point from which to launch a Zoroastrian game playing as the Manichean heresy