Any interesting starts at later dates?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PhroX

General
112 Badges
Apr 6, 2009
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
So, to be honest, I've played most of the nations I want to play in EUIV. Was planning of doing another HRE centric run, probably as a OPM, but the AoW feature list, especially the reformation improvments makes me want to wait for that. And then it dawned on me that every single game I've played of EUIV was started in 1444. Which got me wondering if there are any particularly interesting nations to start with in the latter dates.

I'd rather stick to, say pre-1600, so I still get a good long game, and I very much prefer smaller nations (not neccesarily OPMs, I don't mind having 4-5 provinces to start), but within these limits, does anyone have any fun suggestions?

How about Portugal start in the late 16th century, when you are under PU with Spain? Not that small country, but beating Spain (unless you ally France) should be a challenge then.
Also maybe one of the Italian states during Italian Wars.

Trying to survive The Irish Confederate Wars (1641-1653) as Ireland was surprisingly popular in EU3. Not sure how it fairs in EU4 though, most of the dates post start are pretty broken since Paradox mostly copied the history files from EU3.

So, to be honest, I've played most of the nations I want to play in EUIV. Was planning of doing another HRE centric run, probably as a OPM, but the AoW feature list, especially the reformation improvments makes me want to wait for that. And then it dawned on me that every single game I've played of EUIV was started in 1444. Which got me wondering if there are any particularly interesting nations to start with in the latter dates.

I'd rather stick to, say pre-1600, so I still get a good long game, and I very much prefer smaller nations (not neccesarily OPMs, I don't mind having 4-5 provinces to start), but within these limits, does anyone have any fun suggestions?

1643/44 start as Xi. You start in a war against Ming together with Shun.

I like playing during the Napoleonic Wars on the Napoleon start date on the historical starts. I once played as Prussia during the wars and restored France to a monarchy with the sieged Rev France capital event.

A rather interesting (and a bit OP if successful) start is a 1475 War of Castillian Succession start as Portugal. You've got France supporting you against Castille and Aragon, and you get a PU over Castille if you win. If you start a few days into the war you'll also start with a few provinces occupied.

Try July 1, 1578 in Japan. At this date, the Daimyo of Otomo is Christian (Catholic, of course), which opens up opportunities to make Japan Christian and then spread the good word to the rest of Asia, by force if need be.

Try July 1, 1578 in Japan. At this date, the Daimyo of Otomo is Christian (Catholic, of course), which opens up opportunities to make Japan Christian and then spread the good word to the rest of Asia, by force if need be.

This is a good one! My favorite Japan start after Takeda.

TBH I'd wait for Art of War to try any later start in Europe. They only specified stuff for the TYW and Napoleonic Wars, but who knows what later starts will look like in general.

EDIT: Then again, we also don't know if Japan is getting any new provinces, so eh.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Think I might give Christian Otomo a try, as I haven't played in Japan since patch 1.0. Actually, thinking about it, there's probably some good later starts in general in Japan, as the various famous characters from the sengoku jidai will pop up as daimyos. Wonder if the One-Eyed Dragon is in there?

The 1475 Portugal could be interesting too, not a nation I've played since my first game of EU3 (Someone recommended it to me as a starter nation. Dunno why, it was tedious as hell and lucky it didn't completely put me off the game due to boredom), but a game where I PU then annex Castille and then forget about colonising (or maybe just focus on going east) could be fun. See what happens when the usual two biggest colonisers of the Americas are not doing so...

Another idea from the Napoleonic period - Commonwealth/Poland - start either in 1773 or 1793, just after one of the partitions and try to use French invasion on Germans to get your territory back. I played it in EU3 was quite fun to beat Prussia and Austria while they fought France and then I invaded Russia, which was stomped by rebels by then.

For people who like to play with rare nations there's a couple new minors in the 1453 bookmark, for example the Sulu in Southeast Asia. Qasim Khanate might be funny too but haaard :)
And Styria is independent so you can play a green Austria :D (which greatly changes the HRE-balance of power...)