• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SCORPIONMIRO

Alayne's Knight
29 Badges
May 16, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Alea Iacta Est! An Athenian AAR
48OuYkY.png

Greetings to all! This is an AAR that is partly a history-book, partly-narrative about the events that followed the small Duchy of Athens after the rise of the “De Brienne” House and eventually, about the political landscape in the area that once stood the Roman Empire, as well as the development of an Europe that had just started to leave the Tenebras behind. I primarily use my imagination to explain events that have happened in the gameplay, and the game is played to further the story. There's hardly, if any, gameplay directly involved, as I have come to realize, but I still try to add, when it enriches the story, pictures of the game. Most of the pictures are of paintings, or self-made maps. I've decided to use the Veritas et Fortitudo mod, as it was the mod that made me want to return to EUIV, if only to attempt again at writing. I hope you can bear with my poor writing skills, and come to enjoy this AAR.

Settings:
Difficulty: Normal
Lucky Nations: Off
Bookmark: January 1st, 1310. (Historical Start)

Note from the Author: No reloads and no gamey-tactics, at least as much as it can be kept. If Athens falls, I might take a step back and write an Epilogue, possibly. Regarding the Footnotes, some of them are historical correct, and some are ahistorical facts created from this alternative-history. The latter is in yellow and has an * to mark it. Some Historical facts were either excluded for had no bearing to the storyline of the AAR (No Catalan Company, alas!), or modified as to fit the particular tone of the characters or thegame (Gautier de Brienne already had a child by 1310). I've made an conscious decision to avoid historical portraits for my characters, though not quite off the table. I'll try to use sketches, as if made by the author of such History Book. And finally, the narrative chapters labeled a name are small bits of something involving Athens told from said characters.

Every comment is more than appreciated. Any comment, suggestion or criticism is more than welcome! I'd love to know likes and dislikes, and more than open to any type of post. :)

Last edited:
CENTER]

Prologue: The Bastard Children​

Gautier V de Brienne

1308, Athens, Hellas.

It was not everyday one would see Athens like this – Mostly, the city hadn't fared well for over an century. The tales that reached Agosta hadn't told him of the aftermath of the fourth crusade, but only of it's heroes and it's legends, of Baldwin and Boniface. None told of Negroponte. Nor they should. When he was a child of eight, he'd doubt he'd want to hear about economy and politics of a far-away city, crossing the Ionian Sea. And Yet, he had now seen himself as a Megaskyr¹, surrounded by terrible foes and unlikely allies. At least it isn't cold, he concluded, with a faint smile that fit the unseasonably cool breeze of an autumn night. The Frankish Nobility had insisted on a feast to celebrate his ascension, given by the Athenian Parliament, and after some reluctance, he agreed, still clinging to the last cents his Grandfather had left him. He made a short appearance and remained the rest of his night gazing at his city, his now, truly.

“What are you doing?” Jeanne whispered in his ear. Her hand slipped into his chest, as if she meant to take some of his burden. “Are you thinking about someone else?” she teased, “I will fight her for you, if you're so kind as to lend me your sword.”

“You know there's no one else. Just... distress”

“Then let it guard our sleep, for it has been many nights since it has kept my husband awakened.” She held his hand, pushing him. “Let us get some rest. It's almost Dawn.”

He glanced once more into the city that he began to rule on the morrow “Indeed.” He stated “Indeed it is.”​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Much of what is known as Greece and Anatolia nowadays had been a mere shadow of it's greatness ever since the fourth crusade took place and the city the world desired had been sacked by the Latin troops. That event changed the entire realm of history as we known, as the Twilight of an ancient and powerful empire meant a new order was coming. Although Constantinople regained some of it's strength, the world would never be the same.

As the Bastard Children² squabbled between themselves and their Latin counterparts, the Romans had squashed the Latin Empire off the map and the Turks advanced into Asia Minor and started to glance at the other side of the Aegean, as Xerxes had done himself a thousand years before. The Christendom had lost the Holy Hand, and it now seemed as if it had never been more distant. Darkness had arrived.

But that was not the end. On the turn of the century of deceit³, a situation had appeared before the Athenian Parliament. The Ancient Line of La Roche4, that had ruled the impoverished duchy of Athens for the last hundred years, had ended. The wheel turned and turned, and a brand new favorite had emerged to Fortuna. And so, after a long deliberation between the various counts, it had been decided that the grandson of the Lord Guy I de La Roche, from his daughter's line, was the true heir to Athens. Gautier came in a small convoy, a young man and his beloved wife, shipped to a brand new world. A World forged with steel and blood, gore and treachery.​

HoAUfKNl.jpg

“No one was without a share in the grief. In the alleys, in the streets, in the temples, complaints, weeping, lamentations, grief, t groaning of men, the shrieks of women, wounds, rape, captivity, t separation of those most closely united. Nobles wandered about ignominiously, those of venerable age in tears, the rich in poverty. Thus it was in the streets, on the corners, in the temple, in the dens, for no place remained unassailed or defended the suppliants. All places everywhere were filled full of all kinds of crime. . Oh, immortal God, how great the afflictions of the men, how great the distress!” - Nicetas Choniates: Alexii Ducae Imperium, ch. iii-iv, in Recueil des historiens des Croisades, hist. grec, 1,397. Greek.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

¹ The Local Greeks expression “Megaskyr”, a shortened version of “Megas Kyris”, title used to refer to the Duke of Athens. Eventually adopted even by the Frank Nobility.
² The Bastard Children, as called by the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos, were the remnants of the Fourth Crusader, the Crusader States themselves, that had been established in former Byzantine Territories. The Biggest had been at this point the Latin Empire, which had fallen to Byzantine troops in 1261.*
³ The Thirteen Century.*

4The La Roche House was granted the Duchy of Athens in 1205 for Otto de La Roche services in the Fourth Crusade.

Last edited:
Nice to see another VeF AAR :) Looks very promising and Athens sure an interesting choice. What are your goals?
First, surviving lol Athens is the one province minor surrounded by stronger countries. In the long-term, It's forming the Latin Empire and extend it's power to the depths of the Middle East and Egypt. That is quite ambitious, though. I'm trying to be very cautious with Athens. One move, and I'm dead.

Added to the AAR list!

Subbed!

tl5988Y.jpg

Two years had passed ever since the Duke's arrival and establishment in Athens, and yet it had taken until the year of the blooming spring¹, as it became afterward known, for an firm organization of the political landscape of his possessions. For he faced greater challenges: Neither the Greek Population nor it's clergy liked him, and much of his power relied on the old Frankish nobility, that rejected any minor change that could be implemented, since much of it still had deep roots with France. The Latin Church still had difficulties to establish itself, and the Megaskyr thought best to not provoke the Greek population, maintaining a tolerant policy, despite the best wishes of the Archbishop of Thebes². And locked between the Latin Kingdom of Achaea, at the time a mere vassal of the Neapolitan King, the Byzantine Empire, nor more than half-a-century united under the Palaiologos Dynasty, the Despotate of Epirus and the Great Vlachia, the latter still facing internal issues regarding the Thessalian magnates³, and lastly the Merchant Republics of Venezia and Genoa, that remained wary of any move that could disrupt the balance that had maintained it's families so wealthy, it had nor more status than a mere pawn in the grand politics of the Aegean. Nonetheless, when the thousand and three hundred tenth year after Christ started, and the same old players began their dance, none expected an surprising outcome as the one that eventually happened.

mwTc8Hrl.gif

The Greek and Western Anatolian Political Landscape, 1310.

Carnaval had never been celebrated in Athens, as the century of blood hadn't allowed for such festivities. And were it not for Jeanne de Chatillon, the Venetian Habit might have never reached the Acropolis. The Duchess had seen one in Venice whilst in her voyage to her husband's seat, and had grown obsessed into organizing one in her modest possessions. Although Gautier had successfully dodged her wishes, in January Third, as she gave birth to his eldest son, Francesco Brienne4, he finally succumbed.

Little did he knew of the importance of the event. After keeping his costs in a relatively small amount during his first years, the Megaskyr allowed himself to lavishly spend in the event, which eventually drawn the attention of many individuals. As the event grew closer, several key family-members of Genoese and Venetian families, that had been deployed to the Aegean during the last years, as well as other Italian Cities such as Florence and Ferrara. One Urbino Noble would even go on to win the archery contest5, and therefore the perfect opportunity for the improvement of diplomatic relations had finally shown itself.

Although most of the Bastard Children had found themselves as areas of influence of stronger western states, in similar grounds as Negroponte6, Athens, through an elaborate system of alliances, managed to push their limits in order to sustain their status quo. Before April of the same year, three of the four western powers with influence in the Hellas had broken alliances with the small Duchy. Aràgon had been the first, in a ironic twist ever since the War of the Sicilian Vespers7 when Gautier had fought in the Neapolitan side. Venezia had been second, as the Dux had spent the last few years courting the young Doge, in the hopes of striking an alliance with the strongest influence in the region. And at last, Genoa, who had spent several years on conflict for it's islands in the Aegean, who feared the growing power of Venezia. Athens now sat comfortably, although hardly safely. As good news came from Serbia, Ferrara and even the Papal States (That much in great part in influence of the Duke's Knights and men-at-arms sent to the newest crusade8), darker tides came, almost at the same time.

1paOA3Yl.jpg

Lombards visiting Athens

Naples, the Fourth Western Power, had shown no interest into an alliance with Athens. The others surely had ambitions in Greece, that much was certain, but the former had a more dangerous position regarding the Duchy. Achaea was, after all, their vassal, and a stronger neighbor in Athenian vicinity. The Angevins were eager for blood and gold. And so, they guaranteed Athens's independence, as an first message of their intention. None could attack Athens, but they9. The Byzantines were much less subtle, as they sent their own warning about their intentions, if the Duke ever thought of expanding. It had been years ever since the Basileos had tried, without success, to contain the Turks10, and after the latest attempt, it had become time to turn West again, to the ancient center of Eastern Rome. Greece had been lost, true, but they still had Morea, and in time, the Hellas could be more easily swayed than Asia Minor. But alas, it was Epirus, the Despotate that had spent their last years haunted by the nightmare of an Angevin invasion, that turned it's gaze southward, into both Athens and Thessaly, lusting and plotting. As the messengers arrived from Vlachia pledging alliance and marital ties, Gautier knew that Epirus wouldn't wait much more before they made their move. Their Despot had shown disregard for the Duke before, refusing to acknowledge his ascent in 1308, and mistreating Frankish nobles along the border. Some had whispered the man had gone mad, that Naples's pressure had made him by turns paranoid and fearful, others cruel and proud. But nothing surpassed his last transgression, when he sent his riders to pillage the limits of the Duchy, on the grounds that Athenians have done so before at the Angevin's King behest.

OtJ8h78l.jpg

Sketch of Thomas I 'The Mad' Komnenos Doukas

The winds of war were coming. The six-thousand knights that had taken two years to arrange waited orders from Gautier, as the Duke himself assumed leadership of his army. Athens had only one answer to survive and thrive, and it was expansion. Expansion would assure the Nobles, the ones that had taken the leadership of the Parliament and hoped new territories would enrich themselves. It would secure it's position as the heir of Frankokratia11, and it's position as an state to be respected, And most of all, it would insure their allies that one couldn't simply threaten the Duke of Athens and expect no retribution.
A New Dance would begin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeanne de Chatillon

CENTER]

1311, Thebes, Hellas.
“I am more than honored, my love.” she remembered answering “I will pledge my life and honor to your legacy. What is yours, Is mine.” Dutiful. At least she had hoped it sounded as such. She never meant to tell him of her worries, to trouble him with even more than he already had, but along came the hour of the wolf, and she hadn't still closed her eyes. Even though she had grown accustomed to life at Thebes or Athens, it never felt like home. Home. At least whilst he was at her side, she could remain strong.

“I'm frightened” Jeanne allowed herself to say, as if It would calm her. “I'm scared for you, for us.” She hoped he wouldn't reply, that he had already fallen into a deep sleep. “Francesco is one, and I'm still...” I must be strong at all times. For him. “I've heard whispers. Some of our Lords, unnamed.”

There was a long pause. Jeanne had considered the act already foolish and was starting to attempt at sleep again when her husband finally turned to her.

“Don't be. None of them are capable.” he answered. “Let them snigger, let them gossip. They've grown accustomed to it in these short years of peace.” That they did. When the Lords weren't in battle, they were sure to be plotting, Jeanne had come to learn.

“They say we have gone craven, inside our castles as two mice escaping our enemies.” His lips were soon on hers, and as they departed, he let an amused smile cover his face. Five years had passed, but she still could see the same boy she had met and married. “Oh, my sweet wife, that is exactly what we want.” he replied, slipping his arm around her waist and pulling her close. “I hope they shout that so loudly that everyone in Arta¹² knows that there's no more craven enemy than the Duke of Athens.”

And suddenly, she understood.​

Hw0S7wC.jpg

¹1310
²Thebes was, at the beginning of the fourteen century, de facto capitol of the Duchy of Athens, and the Archbishop of Thebes had an usual larger role than the Archbishop of Athens.
³Noblemen that exerted much power inside the decentralized Great Vlachia, and for it were considerable foes to it's central power in the form of John Doukas.
4It is still a matter of great debate the reason as to why Megaskyr Gautier had named his son with a Lombardian name, but most historians subscribe to the thesis revolving his young years in Sicily.*
5Quintilio Cugini, an impoverished Urbino noble that eventually profited from Byzantine conquests in the 1320's in the Southern Coast of the Black Sea.*

6The Triachy of Negroponte, an client state of the Republic of Venice situated on the Island of Euboea.
7'The War of the Sicilian Vespers' was a series of conflicts between the Crown of Aragon and the Angevin King Charles of Anjou, that ended with the peace of Caltabellota. The war concluded in the division of the old Kingdom of Sicily, with Charles II as King of Naples whilst Frederick III was confirmed King of Tinacria. Gautier de Brienne fought for the Neapolitan side as his father had before him and spent two years imprisoned in Sicily, until the eventual peace in 1302.
8The Tenth Crusade was an war with the intent of re-taking Jerusalem and re-forming it's Kingdom launched by the Pope in 1310. Although sanctioned by powerful Kingdoms such as France and England, it failed in it's goal. The Archbishop of Thebes had developed an closely-tied relation with the Pope as it was the Clergy's main mission during the period.*
9The Neapolitan King had famously said “What is ours is ours.”*

10Andronikos II is known for recognizing the gravity of the situation in Asia Minor, and his foreign policy for most of his reign had been to try to drive out the Turks from the former Byzantine Territory, with varying degrees of success.
¹¹Frankokratia (lit. “Rule of the Franks”) is the name given to the post-fourth period of Latin states established in Greece, on the former lands of the Byzantine Empire.
¹²Arta was the capitol of the Despotate of Epirus during most of the thirteen and fourteen century.​

Ad glorium Athenis!

A most splendid choice of nation!

Awesome! An Athens AAR! May the luck of Fortuna and Ieseus Christi be with you.

Last edited: