• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ThePinkPanzer

Overstressed Lich
94 Badges
Jan 12, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Gettysburg
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
ju7Yxy.png

The Dragons of The North is a mega campaign where we'll be playing as Estonia. I don't have any history with AAR's (except for a single half hearted attempt at one a long time ago that I never really cared about finishing. This one will hopefully be different, and I'll hopefully pursue it through Crusader Kings II all the way into Hearts of Iron IV when that comes out assuming Paradox doesn't somehow ruin it or disallow modding or something else unlikely.

I don't have much backstory to give, I'm not Estonian and I feel like trying to explain the complicated history of Estonia from a five minute read of Wikipedia will be slightly insulting to Estonians so I am refraining. What we do know is that we're a three province minor wedged into northern Europe with almost nothing going for us. We worship the dying Finnic religion, we are surrounded on all sides by powers who would be happy to see us gone (the Poles to the south, Rus to the southeast, Novgorod to the east and the Scandinavians to the west) and land that isn't particularly useful in a dark ages strategy sense.

Still, we have some nice room to expand. The Baltics to the south are divided between various pagans and will hopefully be conquered with relative ease, while the Finns to the north are broken and divided which will also prove an easy series of conquests. We'll be forced down that route to hold off the swarms of Christians we're surrounded by, so hopefully that ends well.

Finally, this is going to be an anti-blob game. I suck fairly hard so it's going to be hard for me to blob even if I tried, but otherwise I'll be keeping gavelkind until I inevitably convert since I'm not going to be reforming my religion, and once we get past that I'll be splitting up our holdings between family members as necessary. So if we conquer Scandinavia while also owning the Baltics and Finland I might just hand off Norway - Sweden to some close family member

Anything else to know?
Just about it. I'll be running with several mods:
Alternate Portraits for Mongol Children which makes them look a bit less ridiculous.

BTPortraits which improve the rest of them.

Eagle Lake which gives us a nicer font.

The Historical Immersion Project which gives a general improvement to the game.

No Hassles Vassals Split which will make it a bit easier to manage our conquests.

And finally Subtle Sounds which will make the game a bit more enjoyable to play. This is in general massive, as I've never done a let's play through a Paradox game before. However I'm a bit confident that I can do this as I have been planning it for quite a while. I hope to do this with community involvement down the line, most likely starting as soon as I start screwing up (which will probably be turn 2 as so.)

If you think the let's play is similar to another one or want to know where I got my inspiration from, you can read over the Kingdom Come Let's Play by Fintilgin, since it's awesome and it's an inspiration to make this. You can find it here:

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Games-Kingdom-Come/

I'll probably also follow some examples set by the awesome House Hohenzollern Rising by Wiz as well:

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

But overall this should be fairly unique, I won't be directly copying off of either. Hopefully I can also find a place between the super seriousness of those two let's plays and my own brand of humor without just going for a comedy one, cause I want this to be a bit serious.

Oh and one last thing, I suck at video games fairly hard, don't expect me to be conquering half of Europe or gaming the system to inherit the HRE and the Byzies in ten years, I'm not very good, let's hope you find it charming. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Chapter 1: An Estonian Song

We are Andyamo, a man who history in our time line has forgotten about. In this game, his name will be sung for generations, because right now he is almost perfect. He's young, has yet to be married and has decent stats (though that diplomacy stat will certainly have to be improved.)

ih5tPz.png

We have pretty much a blank slate to work on, and hopefully we'll be able to get a real heir before he inevitably dies. So let's start, shall we?

EsrpRT.png

Here is an in game view of us. We are the light brown country just south of the Gulf of Finland, and as I said before, we don't have very much going for us besides a good character and a bit of room to breath. To are west in light blue is the Kingdom of Sweden, who is currently in a civil war with the dark blue Duchy of Uppland. In the unlikely event that Uppland wins, Sweden becomes Norse under Prince Erik the Heathen.

This doesn't mean much to us other than it will hopefully keep the Swedes off our back for a few years.

In the east in the green we have the Princedom of Novgorod, led by this fellow right here,

RHVfoY.png

He's an Orthodox Russian master swordsman who more importantly, despises us. His only heir however is just a child, more on how we'll handle that later. The most important part is that Novgorod is big and strong and will probably turn into Russia eventually, so we're going to most likely be stabbing each other very soon.

To the north are the disorganized tribes of the Finnish pagans, and we thankful have little to fear from them. To the south are the other minor Baltic nations, who we will turn into some punching bags when we get the chance. North and south are our only avenues of expansion, and right now we're looking south.

The only way to survive is to expand so that we can get enough men to hold off against the Christian hordes. This means conquering lands to earn ourselves more men and hopefully money to gain access to mercenary companies to aid us. Sadly to the south there are also other Russian princedoms like Novgorod, and they're more than likely going to band together at some point, enemies upon enemies.

Sadly, we're not completely together ourselves, and our only vassal is a clubfoot who dislikes us.

8eP0Lm.png

His traits from left to right are clubfooted, diligent, arbitrary, temperate and chaste. Andyamo is his only heir, and he is currently trying to decide whether he should arrange an accident or just bribe him into loyalty. After some time he decides on the latter option and half hos treasury later the vassal's opinion is 9.

If matters weren't that bad, our realm is also very decentralized:

7Nh7It.png

We can see we practice Gavelkind, which means we're going to be split up when Andyamo dies. Since we have no plans to reform the Finnic religion, we're going to be sticking with that for quite a while.

Now that all of this is behind us, it's time to get things rolling.

We're 16 and have no wife, this will be rectified. Although normally I'd marry to secure a political alliance with another power, there aren't many pagans that have any real power however, and instead Andyamo decides to marry for... other things.

pVNglf.png

Here we can see my soon to be wife. She's not much in the personality department, but she has nice hips and right now Andaymo needs a child, which is what she'll provide Andyamo with. Marrying her will marry into a lower class, and will make Andyamo's peers think much less of him. Still, there's not many to decide between, and she'll do.

With our wife sorted out and on the way from the mail order bride guild, we do a bit of soul searching and decide we need to improve our dismal diplomacy skill and become a better talker.

It's something we're going to need if we grow larger and begin managing many vassals, and hopefully we can begin increasing that stat ASAP. Back to the law screen, Andyamo also announces an increase in vassal obligations. My one vassal votes in agreement, no doubt thanks to our generous bribe, and he now has to send slightly more money and more soldiers when we call for them.

This ends all we have to do on this front, and we now look outside our borders. We aren't pious or prestigious enough to declare war on one of the surrounding pagan nations, and for now we're going to just bunker down and try to become a bit famous and a bit religious. This means holding off the surrounding enemies first, and that means we're going to have to cripple Novgorod.

This means killing Mstislav. This will be hard, as his court is very loyal to him, but Andyamo begins plotting his demise regardless. If he died it'd fall to his son, who is still a child and has no idea how to run a realm. With Mstislav dead we will have several years without Novgorod to worry about, and will have time to handle our affairs. Sadly however, we need support in his court to begin an assassination.

We have none. Improving our diplomacy should help, as well as us sending our spymaster to Novgorod to set up a spy ring and help our assassination, but this will take some time. Without much else to do, we wait, performing some minor events such as feasts and hunts to keep everyone in the duchy happy and on our side.

As we're out hunting bear as our Finnic religion allows us, the ferocious beast charges out. This prompts an event to pop up. Events are the cornerstone of Crusader Kings 2, they will decide exactly how our character will develop and how our future will pan out. Andyamo is a strong warrior, and thus charges ahead of his warriors, straight into the bear. This is extremely dangerous, but we're role playing here, and Andyamo isn't too bright.

3V20ET.png

Well, it ends predictably.

vyvUKq.png

But with glory!

kJDMCy.png

And as we return, the wedding ceremony is held between Andyamo and Pekshayka, Andyamo forgoes a wedding gift, as this will be very impressive to my peers and immediately shoot my prestige back up.

YyqCXB.png

The celebrations of Karhunpaijaset end soon after the wedding, boosting our prestige and piety quite nicely.

Nneqtx.png

This of course means Andyamo's both famous enough and pious enough to invade somebody, and we quickly take this opportunity The Duchy of Estonia extends to The Ingrians to the east, and enveloping them will give us complete control of the de jure duchy.

Our 1,500 strong army is much larger than Ingria's levies, which are half or so our size. The battle is short and decisive, and the war is won as the last of their men breaks and retreats back into the hills. The chieftain quickly surrenders the land, and we are now the owners of a larger duchy.

bZHfUL.png

It will take some time to expand further, but hopefully this is just one more step on a road to greatness. The county is given to Vaino, our court shaman. It means we'll need to find a new shaman, but Vaino is one of the few courtiers that Andyamo gets along with, and he hopes that Vaino will prove a capable ally.

As we celebrate our territorial gains, a night of celebratory passion ends with Pekshayka announcing she is with child.

cYMKlU.png

This of course causes more celebrations. An heir! An heir! We have an heir! In celebration, it is decided war shall be declared on Liivimaa to the south. Sadly the celebration is dampened as Pekshayka has her child. It's a girl.

kgDvWo.png

wooo.

Still, an heir is an heir, and maybe our conquest of the south will inspire further children. Our forces quickly march to Liivimaa. The battle we face there is much more difficult, as Liivimaa is far larger than Ingria. Their leader, Deryab, is a natural leader, and an able general, we can only hope our incoming reinforcements will sway the battle to our favor.

2mCvgH.png

cG8PEh.png

The battle rages but Deryab never makes his presence known, leaving the battle to his two lieutenants. The men are brave and strong and fight like true warriors, but Andyamo's presence inspires his men and his generals are more than skilled in the art of war. The battle costs many lives, but eventually, it is won.

j8rin0.png

The battle ensures our victory in the war, and a short siege of Deryab's hill fort ends with our victory. Deryab is offered a chance to continue on but his hatred prompts him to continue the war even as his vassal, Varaka, surrenders to the invading Estonians. Deryab is imprisoned and his title is revoked, Liivimaa is ours. Our new vassal, Varaka, seems a good enough sort and more importantly likes us.

Qn94Yv.png

And our border now reaches the Lettigallians and Polotsk to the south. Polotsk is yet another Orthodox nation and they have recently conquered the Dvinan tribe of Baltic pagans. They're another likely enemy, and Andyamo keeps an eye out. But on the bright side, conquering the Liivimaans means we are the undisputed rulers of the duchy of Latvia, of which the Lettgallians are a part.

j56ENL.png

They reject Andyamo's offer of subjugation and soon after the men of Estonia once again march south, and after a short battle, Estonia grows further. We still don't hold a candle to the Orthodox nations that surround us, but we are quickly becoming the master of the Pagan Baltics. Our soldiers prepare to march south, getting ready to declare war on the Curonians. We worship the Finnic religion, while they worship Baltic, meaning that we are free to invade them to our hearts content.

However we've spent many lives pushing south, and we opt to recover our losses and invade later in the year. As Andyamo consolidates his growing realm, his marshal rushes forward about a group of bandits.

Hb9rwx.png

Andyamo laughs at the man and ignores the Merry Men, going back to work. As he is preparing, Andyamo discovers that he is acting kindly to everybody. Not the best trait for the warlord of the Baltics, but perhaps it will make people like him more.

o6x2HR.png

As he contemplates, his martial continues complaining of the bandits. Sickened of this Robin Hood and his Merry Men, Andyamo agrees to set up an archery contest to draw him out. The ruse of course works, and Robin and his Merry Men are captured.

Andyamo almost orders his execution but then he remembers how kind he is, and decides against it, instead opting towards the path of mercy. Robin and his men are hired as game keepers.

EgCFKM.png

Robin and his lady Marion marry, and Andyamo moves on from that little distraction and gives the order for his lieutenant's to prepare to martial his armies. Andyamo's personal guard now numbers around 750, nearly as much men as the Curonians can muster in total. War is declared soon after Andyamo finishes preparing his men. As the invasion goes on, the losses are staggering on both sides as the Curonians call in the nearby pagans.

As is tradition, the war sets Andyamo into fits of 'inspiration', his wife has another child. Sadly it's another girl, but Andyamo just continues hoping.

0FlZa2.png

Our conquests south however mean we're slowly coming in contact with greater empires, and Andyamo begins hearing tales coming from those lands which his Estonia will one day rival.

M1moF3.png

qphYKD.png

Andyamo doesn't quite understand these strange tales of 'Romans' and 'Turks', not comprehending the great shifts of power to the south, he moves on with his conquests. The battles are hard, and over two thousand men die, but Estonia grows.

5rlX30.png

It will take some time before we can safely invade another Baltic nation, and Andyamo goes back to the time consuming task of trying for an heir. At the least, we're now large enough to give the Christians pause before an invasion, and hopefully we can continue our conquests without their intervention.

Attachments

• EsrpRT.png
    EsrpRT.png
    1,5 MB · Views: 41
  • Nneqtx.png
    Nneqtx.png
    792,6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I saw this over on Reddit! I'm glad it's on the forums too. Much easier to read here.

And I like the concept and start you have going.

Chapter 2: The Merry Men of Kalevan

Work on the destabilization of Estonia's enemies continues. The attempts on Mstislav's life proved fruitless long ago and instead we can only hope to tear his realm down from the inside.

bNB756.png

As Andyamo continues ruling his realm, squashing yet another band of merry men and planning his eventual conquests south, he is beset upon by a strange man. The man shoves a book into his hands, and Andyamo feels compelled to read.

6ZU87u.png

As he's pondering over the great tome, Andyamo's spymaster, Vechkas of Ikskila, runs in screaming. After Andyamo calms the man with some soothing words and threats of beheading, Vechkas informs him that Andyamo's marshal, Chief Varaka of Saaremaa, was plotting to claim the Duchy of Livonia!

RZ0IHG.png

When Vechkas discovered this, Varaka attempted to end his life.This simply won't do! An arrest is ordered immediately, and all of Varaka's honorary titles are revoked.

lePb5R.png

Varaka attempts to flee but fails, being thrown into the dungeons after a short scuffle. We are not centralized enough to revoke a vassals title without serious repercussions, but we can just lock him in there and forget about him. Let's see him try and plot now!

Andyamo goes back to capturing merry men. By now, we have three strange people named Robin in our retinue as Andyamo continuously captures them and allows them to live in Estonia under his command.

aB21qd.png

It's getting quite annoying.

Sadly, all is not well in the state of Estonia. Andyamo's good friend, Chief Vaino, passes away after a period of illness at the age of 34. Andyamo follows the wishes of his friend and sits in mourning for many days.

xGAcLd.png

His son is also nasmed Vaino, and is afflicted with a lisp. Andyamo gives the boy a small gift in remembrance of the boy's father. His first daughter, Triinu, also has a lisp, and he is curious if that might come in use in the case of a marriage match some day.

XX3RC0.png

Andyamo takes up mentorship of the child, it was one of his late friends wishes, and it will also give Andyamo a strong supporter as a vassal. After a few months, Andyamos decides he has grown bored sitting on his new land, and has an ingenious idea of how to pass the time.

A raid!

Andyamo shall lead them, with two of the Robin's being the lieutenants. He quickly gathers the armies of his personal holdings and orders the ships of his vassals summoned, and quickly embarks to ports unknown.

He has heard tales of a strange land called Venezia, and sets forth there. Songs have been sung of the beautiful island city, and if it's just an independent city, there is no threat of someone coming to stop him! Adventure!

m0lLWo.png

As he stops in a Catholic port, he also hears tales of how Catholicism is being wracked with issues. The so called Kaiser of the Germans has declared a 'pope' against the currently reigning one. Andyamo doesn't understand these strange words, and continues on his way.

uzU7fU.png

As we land in Venice, the Venetians attempt to muster to defend their home but are quickly slaughtered.

fQ9gQU.png

j46qpB.png

LET THE RAIDING COMMENCE!

However, as Andyamo is away looting, things start going poorly at home without his supervision.

gVunzw.png

grWmTO.png

(no idea why he has no texture. He's probably just an elemental or something.)

Andyamo's vassals don't have enough men to fight them and the treasury isn't large enough to hire a mercenary band. They wait anxiously for Andyamo's return as the peasant's siege Latgale.

He had the foresight to bring his wife with him to the raiding party however, and the two have yet another child. This one is another failure light of Andyamo's life. Even as the child is born they can all tell she's simple.

2mEUBF.png

Andyamo also makes time for reading from the tome as he's raiding.

W9fOGk.png

The raiders take a prisoner, a very very wealthy prisoner, and decide they've spent too long raiding already. The Venetians have gathered armies from their trading posts and are on the war path. The Venetian chief is ransomed for 250 coins, easily tripling the size of the treasury, and the raiders are satisfied as they step back on their ships.

6HxNYu.png

Same time next year, Venice?

Andyamo also becomes engrossed in the book, solving mysteries and creating cyphers. He has become something of a mystic.

6vYK30.png

Andyamo is surprised to see his realm in such disarray, and orders his raiders to make a few last kills.

ctt4w8.png

Andyamo orders a charge, they're just rebels! He is pulled from his horse however and soon finds himself in a duel with one of the peasants. He manages to wound the man, but he quickly goes on the counterattack.

dBT7I9.png

Andyamo falls to his knees, the sword skewering him. As the light in his eyes dims, he is only filled with regret that he never had a son to lead his realm. Andyamo is dead.

dOuZpj.png

Long live Triinu.

--

I saw this over on Reddit! I'm glad it's on the forums too. Much easier to read here.

And I like the concept and start you have going.

Thank you!

Attachments

• grWmTO.png
    grWmTO.png
    538,4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
A female child ruler. It's gonna be an interesting few years.

Interesting :c prepare for revolt

Chapter 3: The Divide

Sorry for the delay! School came and kicked me squarely between the legs so I've been a bit busy. Also not only is she a female child, but she is also a stutterer!

--

The glorious realm of Estonia has been split asunder, the two sisters inheriting different parts of noble Andyamo's lands. Livonia is now free, led by Elyuva, Triinu's proud five year old sister.

t7hqAGW.png

Estonia has gone to Triinu the stutterer, Andyamo's first born daughter. The gold he collected on his journeys now sits in her treasury, and her vassals look hungrily upon her riches. She is just ten years old and knows little of court politics.

3tRfnGo.png

The third sister, the imbecile Taimi, further splits the realm by taking county of Narva on their father's death. It is generally agreed that it would have been better had she not been born, but the other sisters never voice this.

aQkklIh.png

Triinu follows her advisers words to the letter, never doubting them. Her mother and her had many spats in the past, her mother always despising herself for never having a son and only girls. Her advisers recommend she marry the woman off to a far away realm to further spread the dynasty and Triinu agrees and the woman marries a shaman in the far away Pechengs.

But there is also the matter of prestige. Most of Triinu's vassals despise her for her youth, the only thing holding them together is the quickly fading memory of her father, brave Andyamo. It is decided that a new duchy shall be made, in Courland. Having dual ducal titles will greatly increase Triinu's standing, and Andyamo left plenty of money to do so.

KZXChNv.png

Although many of her vassals still dislike her, the creation of the title helps cements young Triinu's authority and many rethink their moves.

The next matter Triinu looks over is the prisons. Only two prisoners sit in them, Deryab and Varaka. Deryab has been long broken by his time in the oubliette and no longer poses any threat to the Estonian state, and he is released for a minor ransom.

Varaka commands a much more generous ransom of 75 gold. The man despises Triinu and the house of Parn, but he is a vassal of Livonia now, and it is decided that this is Elyuva's problem.

MbmGxJP.png

Time passes slowly, and it is decided that if Triinu wants to have the loyalty of her vassals she will need to earn it through war. Her father dreamed of marching south and taking the lands of the Balts and if Triinu were to follow it may just help her be seen as Andyamo's daughter.

The Zemgale's are the perfect target, largely being considered part of Courland. Triinu asks for her sisters aid to ensure the Zemgale's defeat, and together the two march against the tribe. Many consider this to be an ambitious move, and Triinu seems happy with the decision.

YT5UFSh.png

The sides are near matched as the Zemgale's call in their allies, but the combined armies of the two sisters is strong enough to destroy the Balt's armies. Victory is soon declared, and the high chieftesses holdings grow. A grand celebration is held for the child ruler, and her vassals are pleased with the progress.

uXaxsSq.png

Later, one of Triinu's courtiers informs her that Gunda, a Balt, tried to convert her! Gunda is not a very smart woman, and is quickly out argued on theology by a 13 year old. She converts immediately.

4FJmVOs.png

Truly, Triinu is enlightened. The conversation lasted only minutes, but Gunda now worships Triinu as a theological master.

When her father died, Triinu was left in the guardianship of one of his most trusted men, one Robin, a former outlaw who the late Andyamo spared. His tutorship has proven fruitful despite the grumblings of Andyamo's vassals, and Triinu has been guided away from the path of cowardice.

Fo79Obw.png

Not long after, young Triinu turns 16 and ascends to womanhood. Celebrations are had immediately, and many bears are hunted to mark the occasion Robin's tutelage proved effective, and although Triinu lacks in certain areas, she is already showing signs of a master of the intrigue.

Despite her stutter, Triinu has proven able at court politics, and the Estonians can only hope they carry her through the future.

FBg11sz.png

Her ambition soon shows. Triinu does not wish to war her sister and is not strong enough to battle the larger Balt realms of the south or the wretched Orthodox Christians of the east, so that leaves one target.

lBS4d7b.png

If she were to subjugate the realms of the Finns, she could organize them to attack the Balts to the south with her. Triinu wisely sees this as her path to glory. It's risky, but Triinu is a brave lass and enjoys these things.

Her father was always disappointed in his lack of a son, but Triinu will prove to be better than any man.

To war!

3tb9eBx.png

The war ends quickly. Although Triinu expected a long campaign due to the Kakisalmians tribes alliance with several Baltic tribes, their leader, Susi the Just and his wife are both captured in the opening battle of the war, effectively ending it before it can begin.

39dBNby.png

The Kakisalmians are soon under the Estonian boot, and the foothold in Finland is secured. The Finns all organize in front of the high chieftess and throw their axes to the ground. They had been beaten by a woman, and all of the men are ashamed. Triinu just smiles and laughs.

Meanwhile in the south, the Gotlanders create a trading post in the capital of Kalevan. This brings wealth to both Estonia and the Gotlanders, and Christians and Finns come together on neutral grounds in the cities great ports.

jerapB3.png

All is not well however. Young Vaino who Andyamo had hoped to be a friend of Triinu now plans on taking her title, so says Triinu's spymaster.

7bUxJVx.png

The man is quickly locked away and forgotten about, but it is simply more proof that Estonia is not as secure as Triinu could wish. The high chieftess can only pray to the spirits that no more of her vassals plot against her.

It is soon decided that Estonia is ready for war. The next target in Finland is the Tavastian tribe, led by Jalo the third. His wife leads the Zemaltijan Balts in the south, and Triinu hopes to end the war before she can participate.

7ptyfWZ.png

Things go well at first, but quickly go on a downturn when the Lithuanian Balts declare war, hoping to take Estonia's southern territories. Elyuva is called to war, and it is hoped that she can hold off the Lithuanians while Triinu finishes her battles in Finland.

6Bzpz52.png

Triinu's trust in her sister proves well placed, and 1,500 Livonians attack the Lithuanian army of half their number. The battle goes predictably, and for now, the Lithuanians are matched. Elyuva's men march north to aid Triinu, now that the Lithuanians have been humbled. May nobody ever rise against the Parns again!

pDD04kb.png

The Tavastian's prove poor soldiers, most of their men coming from the Zemaltijans. They surrender much as their Kakisalmians neighbors had. With that war over, nearly 3,000 hardened Estonian and Livonian soldiers march for Lithuania.

GsFAwvB.png

As the Estonians battle the Lithuanians, news comes from the west, disturbing news arrives by an urgent rider. The man's clothes are nearly completely worn through with sweat and his horse half to death. As he is admitted into the keep, the man runs to the throne and falls on his knees. The message he carries has the seal of her spymaster.

Inside, what she finds disturbs her. The cursed Novgorodians have failed their hand at intrigue, and the reviled Mstislav of Novgorod has lost his title to the growing Princedom of Kiev. The Estonians have heard tales of the Kievans from scared Baltic refugees fleeing north, but have never bordered them until now.

The fall of the Novgorodians is surprising, they had once been a potential conquest for a growing Estonia, but now it seems they've given way to an even larger foe. The Kievans for now seem more intent on conquering the Rurikovichian lands, but once they are done, nobody knows when their conquests will end.

SrYiQIi.png

When asked if he had any other tales to tell, the man tells of words carried by the Gotlander Catholics trading in Estonia. The followers of Christ have declared some sort of holy war, marching for a distant land known to the Gotlanders as Jerusalem.

The tales seem queer. Armies of 'knights' marching against the wicked 'Muslims' to take some sort of domed city. Triinu enjoys the tales but otherwise pays no heed, for she has much more important things to pay mind to.

BjBc9Sl.png

It is brought to Triinu's attention that her sister has married some Balt of Lithuania. The man seems harmless enough, having been some long distant son of some long distantly dead chief, and is otherwise uninmportant. However, this even does cause some stir in Triinu's court. Why was the younger daughter being married before the elder?

When Triinu had first come of age, a lack of suitable men of age had been the main problem. Now that some time has passed, a Pecheneg of the south has showed some promise. Tall, ambitious and kind, but more importantly, from a family willing to have him marry matrilineally, he seems the perfect match.

Mf2UbuX.png

The betrothal is made, and Triinu waits for the boy to turn 16 so that they may consummate the marriage. Triinu loves her sister, but the woman is generally considered a poor ruler and Triinu would rather she not take the Estonian throne.

This reminds many in the court of Estonia of the late Andyamo's goals. If Estonia is to survive it must expand, and to do this, the Balts must be conquered by the Estonians before they are taken by the Orthodox Christians.

As Triinu organizes her armies for yet another march, Ipa of the Pecheneg's turns 16. He is quickly sent north for the marriage and forgotten by his family. When he arrives, Triinu welcomes him with open arms, and in response the man... well... despises her. And makes this quite clear.

EwLlPUZ.png

He is quite the zealot, but the marriage is done by the Finnic standard regardless and he is left to whine about it. As long as he gives Triinu a child, he needs to do little else.

Men.

At the wedding feast, Triinu announces that they shall march on the Zemaltijans for the summer. A great cheer is had, and each warrior slams the butt of his spear onto the ground as they cheer. Many still dislike being led by a woman, but being led by a warrior more than makes up for it.

ZXRnTsS.png

The Estonians march again, but a sense of dread looms over Triinu. Can they grow strong enough to deter Kievan aggression? Can a split Estonia march on? She once again prays to the spirits, and hopes for the best.

Last edited:
I see you are using VIET Immersion (and I guess an older version of HIP)?

I see you are using VIET Immersion (and I guess an older version of HIP)?

No VIET, I wanted to use it but was having troubles with it at the time of first making the AAR. I would use it now but it would break the save (I think)

And yeah the version of HIP I used is most likely also out of date, but I'm too afraid of updating mods and breaking the save to change that.

Estonia's legacy will (hopefully?) continue forever. Can I ask what converter you are hoping to use for Vicky -> HoI?

Hopefully! I'm not sure. I assume someone will be kind enough to do a Vicky 2 to HoI4 converter by the time we get there. If one isn't made, I'll just hand convert. I have decent experience with modding and I think I could pull it off.

No VIET, I wanted to use it but was having troubles with it at the time of first making the AAR. I would use it now but it would break the save (I think)

And yeah the version of HIP I used is most likely also out of date, but I'm too afraid of updating mods and breaking the save to change that.

Hmm. I see. I was wondering where you got the Finnish Pagan events I had in Immersion, but that makes sense.

Chapter 4: The Northern Campagin

The war is decisive, a large force of Balts being smashed due to the superior military might of the Estonian chiefs. Little of note happens during the campaign, and the Zemaitajan chieftess soon surrenders the province, running back to her new capital of Trakai.

QF0Tryp.png

As Triinu celebrates, one of her vassals, Aila of Haapsalu, makes a plea. She asks for her friend, Vaino, to be released from the high chieftesses prisons. She claims that the chiefs would be impressed by a show of mercy, and begs for the man to be released.

n4bnvMd.png

Triinu is no fool however, and refuses it. Vaino still screams curses through his lisp and Triinu doubts the man has good intentions. Aila is scorned, and Vaino continues his imprisonment. Triinu prepares another conquest when she receives word that the Baltic Yatviags have organized a warband to retake the land of Samogitia from the Estonians.

MjkX5zZ.png

It is clear that the smashing of the Lithuanians did not teach the southerners their lesson, and Triinu organizes her armies and calls upon her sister for aid.

As the Estonians march south, Triinu hears word that the Christ followers 'crusades' have been successful, creating a land of 'Jerusalem' in the south. She cares little for these tall tales, and goes on with her conquests without another thought paid to this.

9wU7CWR.png

The war against the southerners is still won, but Triinu has something else to celebrate.

UC5ui1B.png

Finally! Triinu can feel her body changing as she prepares to give new life to the world. More importantly, an heir. Ipa is pleased at the potential of a child, and Triinu is happy that the man finally came in use.

Triinu hears more tales about the south, the 'Jerusalem' having apparently fallen back to the Muslims not soon after its establishment. It all sounds silly to Triinu, and apparently with the fall of the land of Leon in 'Spain', the Christ followers are even weaker than they began.

ptsDd4H.png

Triinu gives birth to a daughter not long after this news arrive. The child is a girl, and Triinu feels conflicted. A daughter may be a better child, but would she be a better heir?

But more importantly, Triinu sits on the bed weak and frail. The midwives are worried something has gone wrong with the birth, and Triinu prays to the spirits for her health. The child seems just as weak as her mother in her current state, not even crying, and the Parnish line seems cursed with deficiencies.

lvjiOUi.png

As many feared, Needa does not survive long. Triinu is inconsolable, all that effort for naught! Her beautiful child gone!

qKQIFMn.png

Triinu's sickness seems to dissipate almost as soon as the child dies. She hears the midwives muttering about how the baby died so Triinu could live, that dark sorcery could be at work. Triinu considers this a warning from the Haltija, it is clear they aren't pleased.

8TwV66z.png

Triinu soon gets a second chance however, perhaps this time the birth will prove more fruitful?

lxwawHs.png

It is decided that in celebration of the pregnancy that the subjugation of Finland shall continue. Triinu shall send her men to take the Kvens tribe of Finland, the realm nearly equal in size to Estonia.

Q67pjeL.png

Soon after, another sickly infant daughter is born to Triinu. This time, as further insults from the Haltija, this child shows much more of Ipa's genes. The child is named Shukshtoroyka.

tBZy3pn.png

The Kvens make a noble effort but are quickly subjugated like the rest, and Estonia now nearly touches the northern seas. This makes Estonia large enough to rightfully name itself a kingdom, Estonia's glory knows no bounds!

pCuFutm.jpg

Glory to Estonia! Long live the queen!

The Estonian kingdom is not based in Estonian lands however, and the Finns dislike the moniker. Some discussion is done before it is announced that it shall be a dual kingdom. Triinu holds the Finnish kingdom and is the rightful queen of Estonia, and both shall be represented in her royal title.

FzWhL5D.png

The Finnish are slightly more pleased with this than their previous arrangement, though some of the Estonians grumble. As a kingdom, and not just a tribe, Triinu wishes to have the chiefs begin giving more to the Estonian cause in the form of higher levies and taxes.

It will take some time, and Triinu in the meantime begins other work. Of a marital sense.

4Xv8PMX.png

Her belly begins to grow again, and Triinu hopes for a boy. If a girl is born, then the realm will once again be split in two upon her death. The fears are unfounded however and this time, the birth is much more fruitful. The baby is a boy and seems much like her mother. A true heir! He doesn't even have any defects.

bDtAU4X.png

The birth was done just after Triinu made a great offering to the Haltija, and she believes that this mysticism is the source of the great birth.

EyUuTo8.png

News comes from the south of a personal matter however. Pekshayka, Triinu's mother, has passed away after choking on a chicken bone.

TYZfQW6.png

She was never much of a mother to Triinu, but nevertheless, Triinu hopes that the woman does not come to haunt her. In order to remember the woman's death, her chancellor suggests they finish their conquest of the western Finnish realms. The Suomi and Satakunta tribes are the only remaining realms in the area, and war is quickly declared on both.

ILxfXwT.png

The war is little more than a formality, the small Finnish tribes being annihilated by the growing Kingdom of Estonia-Finland. The Suomi are the first to fall, and the Satakunta not long after. West Finland has been taken.

yH91JTf.png

Tribes like the Kola Sami and Karjala still deny the crown, but they will soon be taken under the Estonian crown as well. But this is for another day.

Long live the queen!

Dz2YLsw.png

--

I have to ask, would anyone like my style to change? I've been trying to add a bit more character into the uh, characters, but would you like me to go quasi-novelization roleplaying or something?

Last edited:
Reactions:
From what I've seen, novelisation-style writing will just lead to the thing dragging on, which would be fine if it were just one game, but as a mega-campaign you might want to reconsider. As it is, it's doing fine, but maybe an extra mention of one or two characters now and again (my chancellor advised me to do this, a count disagreed, etc.) could really improve the story.

I like the style, but as pete60750 pointed out, it can make the campaign take awhile. Then again, I'm more than a year into mine, with plenty of readers. It's more a matter of consistent updates than anything.

Message received! I'll try to make things more consistent, and start introducing more characters as we go along. My big fear was introducing too many randoms and have portrait spam of guys who would die without me even noticing, but I'll see what I can do.

--

Chapter 5: The Curse of Parn

News comes that Elyuva's holdings in Livonia have been assaulted by the pagan. Triiinu sends a message, asking if her sister would like aid, but her sister is a proud woman and refuses. Triinu hopes that she knows well enough not to lose Livonia to the Balt, but she moves her army south regardless. Triinu's captains watch on the border for the moment the war turns sour, for Triinu will then march into Livonia, whether Elyuva wishes for that or not.

She prepares to march south when the baby comes. Triinu prays for a healthy girl, for she knows that another boy may cause a war that will split the realm she tried so hard to establish. The spirits prove fickle and deny her yet again.

LePpxOE.png

It seems the spirits also don't wish to see the glory of Estonia, for Triinu begins suffering from wracking coughs soon after. It's clear she is suffering from a sickness of the lungs, and no releasing of foul humors or leeching cures her. Triinu's diviner, Altocumulus (I know) hatches a plan to ask the Haltija for aid. An offering is organized, and all pray for it to work.

It doesn't.

CgSYbSy.png

Truly, the Parn's are cursed.

Triinu is now confined to her bed, and when she walks her coughs echo down the hall like the echoing laughter of death himself. The intervention in Livonia is forgotten about, and Triinu can do nothing but pray one day and then curse the spirits the next. Perhaps those she worshiped for so long are not the god's for her?

Nobody knows what happens when Triinu dies. She had been praying for hours with the shaman, hoping to find some sort of connection to the spirits, to find why she had angered him so. After nearly a day of constant prayer with no response, the shaman had left for the night.

When the guards came to check on her the next morning, she lie dead, having passed while praying.

jymEqoO.png

Triinu the Bold is dead. Long live King Armas.

6DyNEu9.png

--

This update is super duper short. I'll have another one up by tonight, but I felt it ended really naturally and I didn't want to extend it further.

Last edited:
A sad end, though she accomplished quite a bit in her time. Far more than I expected!