Hearts of Iron 4 - Gamescom Gameplay

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That makes no sense. People who don't know their WWII bombers won't care either way, while people who do will complain that the stats of the Do-17 do not reflect its design. You could always invest some points in better engines and rename the design Do-17 if you want to, but as stands the Do-17 isn't the best fit for any of the basic models.

When will be able to mass product JAS-39s and Drakens to fight hoardes of Fishbeds and Fulcrums?! East V. West, the Final Showdown!!

:ninja:

The map is beautiful. I'm pleased. Now I will buy. But please, Hungary is Northern Balkan? No, that is offensive. Call It Pannonia or Carpathians.

Gameplay vid only reinforces impression HoI4 is heading to a very good place :). Looking forward to it, but deffo don't rush it out the door :).

Seydlitz as model aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin before.

Two reasons:

Both ships were laid down in 1936, although admittedly Seydlitz were laid down later than Graf Zeppelin. In 1939, Seydlitz was almost completed, although admittedly as a cruiser, whereas Graf Zeppelin was nowhere near completion. Arguably, the conversion of Seydlitz would have been completed faster than finishing Graf Zeppelin.

The second reason is that of capabilities. Graf Zeppelin is a purpose built carrier and more capable. Putting the smaller Seydlitz later in the tech tree would be a downgrade.

All in all, the German carrier tree is less than perfect. We can either go with (mostly) historical class names and suffer from ahistorical dates, or we can go with historical dates/technology and not have matching classes.

He did say so in the video. If that's the case, it'd be nice to see a pretty low cap on the number of upgrades per category. You can't put a 120mm gun on a turret and expect it to work nicely on a medium chassis. And I'm wondering if the better gun need be researched before you just spend some xp and slap it on there.

While I mostly agree, there were exceptions in past where basic design recieved huge upgrades - turning old ww2 Sherman into IDF Super Sherman (105mm gun, better armor etc.).

All in all, the German carrier tree is less than perfect. We can either go with (mostly) historical class names and suffer from ahistorical dates, or we can go with historical dates/technology and not have matching classes.

German carrier development was, shall we say, less than perfect.

You get a pass on the tree given the historical situation. :p

Very interesting.

I only hope that there will be more to do with generals and other unit leaders. Just adding one to bunch of divisions seems way too simple. I may be OK with divisional leaders gone, but completely disbanding the chain of command would be huge disappointment

Two reasons:

Both ships were laid down in 1936, although admittedly Seydlitz were laid down later than Graf Zeppelin. In 1939, Seydlitz was almost completed, although admittedly as a cruiser, whereas Graf Zeppelin was nowhere near completion. Arguably, the conversion of Seydlitz would have been completed faster than finishing Graf Zeppelin.

The second reason is that of capabilities. Graf Zeppelin is a purpose built carrier and more capable. Putting the smaller Seydlitz later in the tech tree would be a downgrade.

Wouldn't Seydlitz qualify more as a light carrier, while Graf Zep was a fleet carrier?

gameplay video suggests they are serious about expanding grand strategy genre to tablets at some point in the future - "Stop preparing, I am getting bored, just declare the war already! ... Getting frustrated with micromanagement? Losing friends due to hours spent microing? Suffering from short attention span or craving for immediate gratification? Let Gerd von Rundstedt handle the chore for you while you can listen to latest hits, read the news and emails or keep your friends up to date about your greatest battles. Conquer Europe on your way to work!( - an actual Steam achievement). Hearts of Iron 5 - experience epic scope at your fingertips during lunch time!"

Last edited:
I forget if they mentioned anything about custom tanks. I guess that would be all to easy to make a larger caliber gun on Sherman and win the war in '43 instead of dealing with all the issues that the Sherman had before the firefly came into play.[/QUOTE
He did say so in the video. If that's the case, it'd be nice to see a pretty low cap on the number of upgrades per category. You can't put a 120mm gun on a turret and expect it to work nicely on a medium chassis. And I'm wondering if the better gun need be researched before you just spend some xp and slap it on there.
+1

About timeline I think Joahn is too much aggressive. My guess is October alpha, January/February beta and release around May.

As a simulation and modeling engineer, we have to keep in mind that no level of play is going to please everyone.

Tradeoffs will occur whether we as the consumers like it or not.

My favorite professional gripe I got from a Colonel is when he asked at what level of fidelity we were doing the combat simulation. After explaining to him where we were, he asked why there wasn't more fidelity; my reply:

"Because we're limited by your requirement of real time play, limited by the amount of computer resources, limited by the budget and if I had put that in, you'd probably ask me why we had put it in there in the first place."

Yes, eventually, when Windows 23 is out and the average laptop has about 8 TB of ram and a solid state hard drive of 200 or 300 PB... yes, we'll be able to have "Matrix" quality graphics to immerse ourselves in the complete experience of WWII.

Until that time, I love to play the games.

Looks quite nice.

The GUI looks quite good, too. Is it like a toolkit this time around that modders will be able to manipulate fully?

From what I can see already, I imagine some modders definitely might want to add some elements to the game and disable some others.

Could someone, for example, add another factory type to the game and have it represented with its own GUI elements on the map, on in the unit factory line allocation view, and everywhere else where it's relevant? Or do you have parts of the GUI that will not be manipulable?

Last edited: