• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SovereignGrave

General
74 Badges
Jun 7, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Victoria 2
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
So in my current game the HRE created an Anti-pope (as it always, without fail, does these days) and then the Emperor pressed said Anti-pope's claim to the Papacy and won. Well, as the years go by I notice that the next couple of Popes were German too. I find this strange, as usually they're mostly Italian with a few other cultures mixed in. Well, when I go to the screen for the College of Cardinals I find everyone is voting for Germans, with a +200 to the Papal suitability for being German. It turns out that Rome is not German-cultured, despite practically none of the Italy being German. So I'm curious, does pressing an Anti-pope's claim to the Papacy automatically change the culture of Rome? Because I don't see any other way this could have happened.

There is an event that fires (rarely) where one of your counties changes to your culture.

It's possible that after ascending the Papacy, the new German Pope simply had the event fire.

There is an event that fires (rarely) where one of your counties changes to your culture.

It's possible that after ascending the Papacy, the new German Pope simply had the event fire.

Wouldn't that require a neighbouring county of German culture though? As it stands Rome is an island of German in a sea of Italian.

The exact wording from the wiki is "For the event to trigger, the character has to have a county in his demesne not of his culture, and it must border at least one other province of the character's culture that is owned by a character (which could be the very same character) of the ruler's culture." However, I'm not sure I completely believe it, given that I've got one game where most of the African coast has Greek culture, and another where Andalusia has a not that slowly spreading Irish culture. So I'd take it the wiki info with a grain of salt at this point.

The exact wording from the wiki is "For the event to trigger, the character has to have a county in his demesne not of his culture, and it must border at least one other province of the character's culture that is owned by a character (which could be the very same character) of the ruler's culture." However, I'm not sure I completely believe it, given that I've got one game where most of the African coast has Greek culture, and another where Andalusia has a not that slowly spreading Irish culture. So I'd take it the wiki info with a grain of salt at this point.

Well that could be chalked up to conquest culture or whatever it's called. If I remember correctly, certain casus belli set your culture as the 'conquest culture' and counties ca convert to it regardless of whether or not there's any neighbouring counties. And I believe Holy Wars do that, which would explain your two examples. But in mine, the casus belli was the Pope's claim to the Papacy, which doesn't (or if it does, shouldn't) set a conquest culture.

I second this salt-taking.

I am SURE I have seen the event fire on other provinces before, ending up with an odd island of capital culture in the middle of foreign culture.