• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, according to the trailer (which I don't think is the final product, mind you) pretty much all of the Netherlands area is "Saxon". Hopefully they change that.

Yeah, according to the trailer (which I don't think is the final product, mind you) pretty much all of the Netherlands area is "Saxon". Hopefully they change that.

Wait, do you mean Frisian or Dutch? Because actual Frisian may as well be considered Saxon, but the Dutch and Flemish are another branch of the West Germanic family.

I'm sure someone will disagree, but I believe the ideal circumstance would be for the Dutch culture to spawn from Frankish outside of e_Francia.

I mean Frisian.

I heard that Frisian and Saxon were similar, but I wasn't sure how similar.

Sorry, was directed more at OP. Didn't notice I had hit "reply with quote" rather than just reply.

But yeah, Frisian is basically the closest continental relative to English. Scots, for those who consider it a language rather than a dialect, being the actual closest.

Saxon mean continental Saxon. Not Anglo-Saxon.

Sorry, was directed more at OP. Didn't notice I had hit "reply with quote" rather than just reply.

But yeah, Frisian is basically the closest continental relative to English. Scots, for those who consider it a language rather than a dialect, being the actual closest.

I still think Low German is closer related to English then Frisian... I mean... Low German comes directly from Old Saxon. And Anglo-Saxon was something like a dialect of Old Saxon. So... Wouldn't be Low German more related to English then Frisian, which is a own language? I never understand the Anglo-Frisian theory which excludes Low German completly...

I still think Low German is closer related to English then Frisian... I mean... Low German comes directly from Old Saxon. And Anglo-Saxon was something like a dialect of Old Saxon. So... Wouldn't be Low German more related to English then Frisian, which is a own language? I never understand the Anglo-Frisian theory which excludes Low German completly...

From what I can tell, the greater association of English with Frisian stems from Plattdeutsche having more of a German influence than Frisian when it comes to syntax and the lexicon. Not sure if those are particularly good arguments, but that's what I'm noticing.

From what I can tell, the greater association of English with Frisian stems from Plattdeutsche having more of a German influence than Frisian when it comes to syntax and the lexicon. Not sure if those are particularly good arguments, but that's what I'm noticing.

I prefer the North Sea Germanic group. For me it's strange to exclude Low German from the whole connections. Especially in the writing it's very similiar cheese and Keese. Book and book. etc. Yes, Frisian is close in many things. But Low German too.

While we're talking culture, you could also make an argument that the large German blob in the trailer should be split up into Frankish, Alemannic and Bavarian. German culture could arise at a later date through a culture shift event - there are currently not enough of these in the game (would also love to see one of those for French).

[edit]

Would also love to see Pommeranian/Wendish, Polish and Bohemian start as a unified West Slavic culture and then shift into those later cultures. It would be great if this was somehow tied to, say, the kingdom of Poland existing after a certain timeframe.

Last edited:
I do hope "dozens" of new cultures means things like Frisian, Alemannic and pre-split Slavic cultures will be in. Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the mods that will fix it.

Also, alternative split cultures.

Polish? What's this Polish you speak of? It's pretty obvious that in the kingdom of Lendia we speak Lendian.

That would be interesting, but how many cultures would be necessary to create to cover all the possibilities? (think about Rus)

It could just be a renaming of the same culture. For example if Polish culture appears in Poland it's called Polish, but if it appears in the custom kingdom of Lendia it's called Lendian. Though I'm not sure it would be worth the work to implement.

Refocusing on the kingdom of Frisia - at least a part of the area in the north should be independent in 769 with a Frisian cultured ruling family in place. As things stand in the shown culture map, it is hard to say if this culture should belong to any particular parent family. I think we are going to need more details before we can say what is going on or what isn't.

Langauge wise saxon and frisia may be similar but culturally speaking frisian is frisian.

Be nice to have a culture that goes with the kingdom title ja??
Ja, ja. :)

+1 for Frisian culture. I think the fact the language has survived in some form unto the present argues for its own culture back then when it was known to be stronger.

I prefer the North Sea Germanic group. For me it's strange to exclude Low German from the whole connections. Especially in the writing it's very similiar cheese and Keese. Book and book. etc. Yes, Frisian is close in many things. But Low German too.

I believe the mechanics behind the 'Central Germanic' group should be that it encompasses those Germanic cultures which co-existed politically with each other relatively peacefully inside the Holy Roman Empire during the game's time frame.

So I'd put (Germanic) Frankish, Dutch, Bavarian and Allemannic/Swabian into the 'Central Germanic' group, while putting Frisian, Saxon and Anglo-Saxon into the 'West Germanic' group.