• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.:happy: Sorry!
No problem, DKM!

Really great read delpiero1234
I'm glad to hear that you enjoy reading my AAR :)

thanks especially for explaining some of the vagaries of the mod. I downloaded it the other day and am really enjoying it, without knowing what I am doing. Now I have learned and learning is growing.
VeF can be quite confusing when you first play it. In my first games of VeF I didn't know either what I was doing. The mod is incredibly complex.
If you or anyone else have more questions about a specific feature of VeF then I can try to make a tutorial for that as well (depends on if I can work it into my AAR)

Chapter V - Egypt

After the treaty with the Austrian, the Union recovered from the latest wars and focused again on its colonial holdings. Norwegians had established a colony in Greenland and Portugal turned Arguin into a city. The competition wasn’t sleeping and established more presences in the New World.
Queen Mary I was invited to attend the Sensa-festivities in Venezia. The Sensa was a huge feast held annually to celebrate to the Treaty of Venice of 1177 which ended the long standing differences between the Pontificate and the Holy Roman Empire.

wr0QyCa.png

This time the Sensa was also celebrated to honor the brave soldiers who died in the latest war against Austria. Lots of wine was consumed and the finest Venetian dishes were served. The Doge of Venice was a great host and the young Queen thoroughly enjoyed her stay.
Mary I replaced her diplomatic advisor with spymaster Arnaud Detmold who proposed to complete the annexation of Aachen and Alsace. The Queen followed his advise and the the two subjects were integrated into the Union.

3MQBE9g.png

In April of 1453, the Prince of Novgord-Seversk swore an oath to serve the Union. The two countries had enjoyed good relations and had been allies for a couple of years but the Prince feared to get eaten by the Golden Horde and he felt the only country that was able to protect him from the barbaric Tartars was the Union.

RlsRyzY.png

In May of the same year, a punitive raid was launched against the Barbary Pirates which had attacked Nice not long ago - the Queen hadn’t forgotten. The raid was a success and one of the heirs of the Berber kingdoms was captured. The citizens of Nice were enthusiastic when they heard about the raid’s success. Nobody messes with the Union!

u03ajBG.png

After having established a colonial presence in Brazil, an explorer was sent to discover more new lands. Eventually he reached an island chain and a few settlers were sent to colonize Grenadine. Reports said that the natives in that area were far more aggressive and so 2 regiments followed the settlers to the island to protect them from potential native attacks.
Meanwhile in Paris an embassy was built in order to smoothen relations with the Union's neighbors.

0jC3jAZ.png

In March of 1456, a comet was sighted over Avignon. The local peasants went nuts and predicted the end of the world. More intellectual people tried to convince the peasantry that comets were not as dangerous as they appeared to be but they failed. The Union suffered from a civil turmoil that lasted almost six months.
On April 7th, 1456 Scotland celebrated 50 years under Capetian rule. Queen Mary I traveled to Edinburgh to attend the festivities and to inform the Scottish people that she had made plans to integrate them over the next three years into the Union.
Mary I returned to Paris where the small council was exciting to tell her that the Union completed exploration ideas and that new abilities were researched to colonize faster! ((Permanent casus belli against pagans; Colonial Adminitration III researched: +1 colonist)

Cx2hpRS.png

UPqdIAK.png

16.000 soldiers were transported to the New World and a campaign was launched to bring civilization to the Mayans. It took the Union only a few years to occupy and annex the entire Mayan lands.
The Scottish highlanders were unhappy with Queen Mary I's rule and it become clear that they had to be put down by force. When Sweden heard that the Union was at peace again they declared a war on Norway and England and asked the Queen if she had any interest in conquering some English provinces. The Queen naturally accepted the call to arms and sent two armies to fight against the Plantagenets.

MEnf5qO.png
FR5c7al.png

Flanders was also war with England and had already occupied the majority of their provinces. This was inconvenient but there was nothing the Queen could do to prevent the Flemish troops from besieging province after provide.
Frustrated with the Flemish gains in England, Mary I focused on governing her realm while her brother Louis was fighting the war. She was informed that it was time to select a sixth set of ideas. This time she chose a military idea to strengthen the Angevin troops - a drafted army was necessary to win future wars (first two ideas of drafted army unlocked).
To better administrate the colonies in Brazil, Queen Mary I reorganized them into a colonial nation. She named the colony La Capetian after her dynasty. A second colonial nation, named Maryana after Queen Mary I, was formed out of the former Mayan territories in the March of the following year.
Sweden's war was wasn't going so well after Norwegian forces laid siege on their capital. In mean time, Flanders settled for a white peace with England leaving the English provinces vulnerable to Angevin attacks.

SmIHfvJ.png

In December of 1462 the Tunisians asked the Union for help against Mamluk aggressors. The Mamluks had invaded one of Tunisia's allies. Mary I sought her small council's advice and after a couple of days it was agreed that helping the Tunisians was in the Union's best interests. Aragon, Chobanids, Egypt and Morocco sided with the Mamluks.

2ccFugo.png

The Plantagenets accepted unconditional surrender from Sweden with terms that favored the Union, after the Angevin forces occupied every English province: Devon, Hereford Meath and Durham joined the Union.
Aragonese troops suffered a devastating defeat at the battle of Valencia but unfortunately heir Louis did not survive that battle. Combined forces of Burgundy, Padua and the Union then began besieging the Aragonese holdings in Iberia and Venetian forces attacked the Aragonese provinces on Sicily. Aragon surrendered, ceding four provinces to the Union.
Mary I chose her second brother as new heir to the throne. He was also named Louis (4/2/4) and was sent to fight the Mamluks.

hNou2FH.png

Norway managed to defeat the Swedish troops and Prince Fredrik August saw no other option but to pay the Norwegians a few ducats to end this war. A treaty between the two rivals was signed in Leeuwarden.
Fighting continued with the Mamluks - it was one of the longest wars the Union had fought but at the end the Union turned out on top gaining control over Al-Iskandariyya and Rashid in the Peace of Crete. Al-Iskandariyya was a major port for valuable spices that were being shipped from Arabia to Europe. Controlling this centre of trade strengthened the Angevin position in the Middle East. Peace at last!

To be continued...

Great to see a french AAR where the author actually conquer those perfidious anglois !
By the way, "La Capetian" isn't french :p . You should have named the colony "La Capétie" ou "La capétienne" (or something like "Terre-Capet", maybe ?).

Great to see a french AAR where the author actually conquer those perfidious anglois !
Thanks for reading and commenting! One or two more wars with the English and they are all history.
By the way, "La Capetian" isn't french :p . You should have named the colony "La Capétie" ou "La capétienne" (or something like "Terre-Capet", maybe ?).
Good point. My French is so bad that I couldn't come up with something better but I like La Capètie so I'll change the name :cool:
The game doesn't like the letter è so I changed it to La Capetie..

If you know more good sounding French names for colonial mations then feel free to share them. I will make a bunch of CN in the future and maybe I use some name suggestions..

Edit 2: The culture of the Union is actually Anglo-French so colonial nations can also have English names I think but French ones are probably better since the Capets are French.

Could we possibly get a diplomatic map in the next update, highlighting your realm? I have trouble keeping up with your widespread conquests - it seems the sun never sets on the Angevin Union. :rofl:
Since I haven't continued playing yet I give you the diplomatic map and a political map now.
The World on September 9, 1469
Right click on the maps and open them in a new window to slightly enlarge them.
Diplomatic View
VPprogP.jpg

Z0ZgtQs.jpg

Political View
fK1lnAA.jpg

OWVvgfI.jpg

I noticed that the color of the Angevin Union isn't very nice. Maybe I will change it something else..

Edit 1: I also colonized St. Helena (Pacific), Otcho (Africa), Falklands (Argentina) and some islands in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Embrace the concept of the Angevin Union, combine France's blue with England's red, and go purple all the way - though since France is dominant, maybe a heavily-blueish purple.

I've offered Delpiero the opportunity to define the color - he just needs to provide the RGB values, and make sure it doesn't conflict with neighboring countries and is similar in brightness, etc, to the current country colors....

I've offered Delpiero the opportunity to define the color - he just needs to provide the RGB values, and make sure it doesn't conflict with neighboring countries and is similar in brightness, etc, to the current country colors....
I will suggesr a color later tonight. Haven't had the time to do so yet. I'll pm you my suggestion soon :cool:

Embrace the concept of the Angevin Union, combine France's blue with England's red, and go purple all the way - though since France is dominant, maybe a heavily-blueish purple.
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Chapter V - Life is Good

(The Colonial Nation La Capetian has been renamed to La Capetie)

Charles Benbow, governor of Maryana, traveled to Paris in the September of 1469 to meet with Queen Mary I. "The Aztecs are weak and we should bring civilization to their primitive culture. If you want Maryana to grow then we need more territory. I heard that the Aztecs have lots of gold. We should take it before the Portuguese or Spanish do it." said Benbow to the Queen. Mary I agreed and conquistador James de Caumartin sailed with Governor Benbow back to Maryana. The Queen had put 20.000 men at de Caumartin's disposal.
Soon after de Caumartin arrived in Campeche, war was declared on the Aztecs.

LWgRqxD.jpg

de Caumartin was a brutal general and legends say that his army slaughtered ever single Aztec they encountered. No mercy was shown. The most brutal battle was fought just outside of Tohnacapan - 13.000 Aztecs were killed in a matter of hours. Angevin and Mayaran troops slowly moved from province to province. The goal was to annex the entire Aztec Empire in one single war.

nLzC3X8.png

Meanwhile in Europe, heir Louis caught the attention of the people and some demanded that he should overthrow his sister, the Queen of the Union, but Louis had no intention to rule. He enjoyed leading the armies and so he informed Mary I that some peasants were plotting against her. They were hanged and a parade was thrown in honor of Louis.
The silly Ältermann of Hamburg declared a war on Poland knowing that he could not win it without the Union's support. Mary I was angered with him and thought for a second about dishonoring the alliance but Louis convinced her not to.

qCZw3PZ.png

Three years after de Caumertin laid first siege on Thohancapan, the Aztec Empire was no more. All former Aztec provinces became part of Maryana. The Hamburger Conquest of Lüneburg wasn't going well for the Hamburgians and Mary I did not feel like winning that war for them and peaced out of it.
Reports reached Paris that Explorer de Marguerye on board of the carrack Petit Aigle discovered the Cape of Good Hope! Sailing form Europe to India was now in theory possible but some outposts had to be established first and now was not the right time for that. In the long term, the Queen intended to conquer the Kongo and to colonize the Cape and Madagascar.

n31gz2m.png

Angevin colonists arrived in Santo Domingo where they built a colony on very the fertile land. Some of the settlers, however, disliked the colony and established their own settlement a few miles next to the existing one. The Queen approved the new settlement because she knew that this meant more taxes! The terroir in Santo Domingo was well suited for sugarcane and so farmers began planting it. Large plantations were built and the colony was flourishing. Life was good in the Caribbean.

q19D4Uj.jpg

To further establish a presence in Africa, a tribal conquest was declared on Kongo in December of 1475. With the focus on the war, some people thought that they did not have to work anymore. This was not quite the plan and soon the peasants were back working.
Six month later, Kongo became a part of the Union. Sailing from Europe to India was now a little safer but stilly too risky. More outposts had to be established in order to ensure safe passage.

qjGn9aO.png

KY7q76o.jpg

Mary I reminded many citizens of her predecessors who constantly went to war. The small council advised her to "take care" of the Crown of Castile. The Castilians were threatening Angevin domination over the New World. This could not be tolerated and so war was declared on their ally Naples. Next to Castile, Churs, Hungary, Milan, Salzburg, Savoy and Serbia honored the Neapolitan call to arms.
Diola a Castilian colony was claimed and taken for the Union.

pYxjY74.png

In the North, the provinces of the former Duchy of Brunswick were occupied by enemy forces but in Iberia and in Naples the Angevin forces were dominating the opposition. The highland lord of Argyll finally accepted the Union as the rightful rulers of Scotland. He apologized to the Queen and admitted that the life conditions in Scotland had drastically improved under the rule of the House of Capet. Mary I accepted his apology and was confider that the other lords would soon also accept her rule. So far those uprisings were quite ineffective.
A messier from Milano arrived in Paris informing the small council that Milan was crying for peace and was willing to cede Cremona, Novara, Pavia and Ticino to the Union. The small council accepted the Milanese offer in the name of the Queen which left the city to visit the colonies in the Caribbean.

UD80Xnx.png

A couple of months later, Castile was looking for peace. The Queen's terms were accepted and Cantabria, Loogrono, Malaga and Vizcaya were incorporated and on May 19th 1484 the Treaty of Tunis ended the war between Naples and the Union. Naples ceded five provinces and the Union's position on the Italian peninsular was strengthened.

4aRsNUm.png

Rxcz4yc.png

To be continued...

(I'm currently taking a look at possible colors for the Angevin Union. What do you guys think about R105 G40 B188? #6928BC. That's the color this text is written in.
rVz8g1A.jpg
So far nothing is final though.
)

1st- Good job! I'm enjoying this BBB AAR a lot more than I thought I would.

2nd- Ehh, I don't like that last color much. That may just be me as I don't really like purple (except for Tyrian purple/red of course)

1st- Good job! I'm enjoying this BBB AAR a lot more than I thought I would.

2nd- Ehh, I don't like that last color much. That may just be me as I don't really like purple (except for Tyrian purple/red of course)
1. Thank you! I was a little skeptical too about France being fun but I am having a blast playing as them and writing this AAR :cool:
2. I chose this color primarily for these reasons:
  • It's a color that you can distinguish well from other colors in the area.
  • It's a mix of French blue and English red. This represents the Angevin Union quite well.
  • It's a color that you can also see well when the map is zoomed out. This is the main reason why I wanted to change colors. The previously used color was hard to see when the map was zoomed out.
What color do you think would work/look better?

If you still want to go for purple, what about a darker shade? Another color that you could use would be White like the Papal States. Finally, the Angevin Union and Iberian Union could be just name changes in later versions rather than tag changes and have the same color as the country that formed it.

1. Thank you! I was a little skeptical too about France being fun but I am having a blast playing as them and writing this AAR :cool:
2. I chose this color primarily for these reasons:
  • It's a color that you can distinguish well from other colors in the area.
  • It's a mix of French blue and English red. This represents the Angevin Union quite well.
  • It's a color that you can also see well when the map is zoomed out. This is the main reason why I wanted to change colors. The previously used color was hard to see when the map was zoomed out.
What color do you think would work/look better?
The Purple People Eaters :laugh:

The Purple People Eaters :laugh:
Watch out! They're coming for you :cool:

If you still want to go for purple, what about a darker shade? Another color that you could use would be White like the Papal States. Finally, the Angevin Union and Iberian Union could be just name changes in later versions rather than tag changes and have the same color as the country that formed it.
I just tried a few more combination but none of them convinced me. I use this site to create the colors http://rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

So no white or keeping blue?

So no white or keeping blue?
I like white but white is already the color of Finland. I need to be able to tell the difference between Finnish and Angevin provinces :ninja:

Keeping blue would be an option but I already suggested to Penguin to change the color to Purple because blue would be "weird" for a player that forms the Angevin Union as England. Blue would work for this AAR but not for VeF in general in my opinion :mellow:
I hope that's ok with you.. Sorry DKM..

When I said keeping blue I was talking about this.

If it was just a name change then you could keep the color of the nation that formed it. If you started as England, you would keep red. If you started as France, you would keep blue. Did you even see that part of my earlier sentence?

When I said keeping blue I was talking about this.

If it was just a name change then you could keep the color of the nation that formed it. If you started as England, you would keep red. If you started as France, you would keep blue. Did you even see that part of my earlier sentence?
Yes I saw it. The issue I see with your suggestion is that the each country gets assigned one specific color in its country file. To my understanding, there would need to be two Angevin Union tags - one with red color and one with blue color. But I'm no modder so it's better to ask the VeF team about that.