• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EGAchilles

Private
77 Badges
Aug 13, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
April 12, 1874
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Reichstag was abuzz with energy. The news had reached Berlin quickly, sending the city into a rage. The Germanian Union had grown considerably over the past decade since the War of Austrian Unification. Although the governments in the Netherlands and Denmark paved the way for the model of political systems heavily dependent on Germany itself, the addition of Occitania to the German-administered regions was a massive shift in European politics. Following France's audacity to challenge Germany's rightful claims to Western Switzerland, the nation was cleaved in two, with the southern half becoming the constitutional monarchy of Occitania. They, Switzerland, Savoy, and Wallonia (Until Flanders elected to reunite with Wallonia under Germanian Union administration, becoming Belgium once again) joined the puppet governments of Denmark and the Netherlands in being part of the massive Germanian Union, the most powerful political entity in Europe.

After nearly a decade of administration by a German appointed government, Occitania graduated from being an Administered State member of the Union and joined Sweden and Spain as Allied State members of the Union. It had risen to enough prominence in international affairs that Germany could no longer properly maintain their administration over the state. There were concerns that the parting could lead to tension, but Germany considered the Occitans like children growing up and leaving the home, maintaining positive relations between the two.

Even still, the German Empire considered itself strong enough to deter an attack against either itself or Occitania from France, especially considering its weakened state. That's why, in early April, 1874, it was a shock to the German public that France declared war on Occitania in order to restore those provinces to French administration. Not only that, but they were also joined by Germany's two other great enemies, Russia and Hungary. Over the past decade, the Union had fought both multiple times, advancing it's empire, but never both at the same time, and certainly not with France coming from the west. Neither Hungary or Russia would be able to reasonably assist in the subjugation of Occitania, they were much too geographically disparate for that. Rather, they were a clear challenge to Germany, meant to either overwhelm the Union or draw enough of its attention to allow France a successful invasion.

The Reichstag knew that this was a challenge they would eagerly meet. They gathered in Berlin a few days after the news from Occitania arrived, and after the troops had begun moving towards the borders with the belligerents. War was an inevitability, but this speech was just a formality...

Welcome to my first AAR! I am EGAchilles, and the following is "The Occitan War," a story I wrote about my playthrough of Germany in the /gsg/ mod for Victoria 2. It is heavily inspired by The B's Greatest Germany AAR, but don't worry, this isn't just another Germanyblob AAR. I chose to focus on a single event in my game, the French Restoration of Order to the Occitan Provinces, or as I call it in my game, the Occitan War. The entire AAR covers less than a year, just under seven months (A bit more if you count the epilogue, but it's still entirely contained within 1874).

This is a historical AAR, with glimpes into certain events throughout the war. At times it reads like a history book, at others like a scene from an alternate history novel. I do a bit of minor cheating, mostly towards the end, but I try to keep it all believable.

And you can read the whole thing right now! The entire AAR is finished, and is published in an imgur album. It's not the usual way people publish AARs here, but I found it a good way to put it all together, so that's that. Beware, because it's pretty big, and thus may take a while to load all the way.

It's my first try, and I know I've got a bit to work on, but I'm still pretty proud of it, and I hope you all enjoy! So without further ado, The Occitan War!

I only had time to read the first few bits, but it seems well done! I'll have to come back and read the whole thing.

I too have little time to read the whole thing in one go at the moment, but will definitely come back and take a more detailed look that I'm sure your writing deserves.

Just read the entire thing and....

WOW!

I just want to say that is AAR was incredible! I never though someone could do so much with so little!

Like the others, I don't have time to read it now but will do later, it looks good. Especially as I am interested in the Occitania style alternative histories.

Just one question though, is it worth violating Swiss neutrality? Firstly, you get prestige loss and secondly, you only get a bunch of mountains and very little that would seem worth the negatives?

Just one question though, is it worth violating Swiss neutrality? Firstly, you get prestige loss and secondly, you only get a bunch of mountains and very little that would seem worth the negatives?
This game has a button you press to violate Swiss neutrality. It is a feature built into the game. Consequences aside, why would you not press it?

The countries I lost relations with already hated me, so I didn't really care too much about that. The prestige hit was minor as well, and I got a territory that's good for invading France and Italy. Mostly though, I wanted it because it let me take Switzerland away from France and fit the theme of the playthrough so far.

Glad everyone is enjoying it so far!

Last edited:
This game has a button you press to violate Swiss neutrality. It is a feature built into the game. Consequences aside, why would you not press it?...

I just avoid pressing it :D

I finally had a chance to read the whole thing. I'm not generally a fan of AARs focused on the details of wars, but this was amazing!

Well, I've finally got around to reading the whole thing. It was very well done, I must say – and the war was conducted with great efficiency, though one suspects that that had something to do with just how powerful Germany had built herself up to be.

I though the presentation was also very well thought through. I've never seen an AAR published in such a fashion, but it definitely worked. I look forward to seeing if you develop on the style in the future. And, of course, I am generally looking forward to reading anything else you come up with.

A great read! :)

That was a good mention by DensleyBlair, your presentation was amazing.

I would prefer future AARs in parts, but that's just me!

...I would prefer future AARs in parts, but that's just me!

Fully agree - good though this AAR is, I just never get time to read it. :(