• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord_P

Field Marshal
67 Badges
Apr 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
How can I experience the bubonic plague in Crusader Kings II? I usually have heard that it's handled in a very poor manner, but what would be a good way to experience it in some way or another?

My understanding is that it appears in about 2/3 of games (although I have experienced it in far fewer, I guess it's just good luck?) and runs its course through the map. Typically I lose a couple important family members at most and my realm faces no serious threat to stability.

It seems to weaken the AI about as much.

How can I experience the bubonic plague in Crusader Kings II? I usually have heard that it's handled in a very poor manner...
I'd like to have more events and feedback triggered by the Bubonic Plague, but I can see why it has been rendered rather toothless the way it is right now.

Imagine players who have gone through a long and rewarding campaign since 1066 or even 867; they went through 250 or even 450 years, molded the world to their liking, and almost reached the home stretch for EU4 conversion... and the reward for their patience and persistence is a devastating Black Death. Most of the dynasties they've become familiar with over the decades/centuries get wiped out, and all the hard-built empires and realms are neutered for decades. Is that what players really want?

Just like everyone else here, I initially presumed buffing the Bubonic Plague would be a good thing, and I did so by prolonging its effectiveness and basically making it a lite version of the Knahaten Flu from the Elder Kings mod... but I quickly understood it's simply NOT fun at all when no one was able to do anything for a couple of decades due to the debilitating plague (except for rebels, adventurers, and foreign invaders) and how senseless it was to have family members and vassals drop like flies just because.

...but what would be a good way to experience it in some way or another?
Just mod the "\common\disease.txt" file and make the Bubonic Plague much more virulent and deadly. Then watch your campaign save game file crumble to the whims of RNG.

Last edited:
It would be better if they ditched the normal plague mechanics for the bubonic plague in favor of CK1 type event pop ups. Have the event infect random characters in the province and infect one random adjacant province to a bubonic plague one randomly.

How about that there is an event that pops up in the east parts of the map that creates a quickly spreading, very lethal disease in a coastal province (e.g. Kuwait, Constantinople, Athens, etc). This event will pop up in other provinces in the west and the north eventually, reflecting how the Black Death spread across Europe. Eventually it would wither away, and when the last cloud of death disappears from the map, a final event is received.

Example:

"A strange disease is spreading in [province name here], causing horrible boils to appear on the victim's skin, eventually killing them. The disease appears virulent and very contagious."

"God save us all!"/[Your equivalent]