• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mjolnersson

First Lieutenant
Jul 22, 2013
I wanna ask one simple thing. If I educate my heir as greek culture I will get Cataphracts. But if i educate his heir into different culture will this retinue still be usable or will it diseappear?
Is there other way to get retinues from different cultures?

He will be able to make them when he takes the throne. they wont disapear if you change culture again but you wont be able to make more of them instead youll have the new cultures retinue.

And No.

Already existing retinues won't disappear, but you won't be able to make any more Cataphracts if you change culture.

Although you really shouldn't be mixing retinues anyway if you want fully-optimized forces. Either stick with the cultural unique retinue if it's a good one (Cataphracts, the Horse Archer retinue, anything that's full light cav, or English/Welsh Longbowmen with probably some heavy infantry mixed in, led by an English or Welsh general), or a mix of heavy infantry and archers otherwise.

A lot of retinues have special tactics that can only be used when the flank they are in in battle is lead by someone of the appropriate culture. So it does pay to pick one and stick with it.

A lot of retinues have special tactics that can only be used when the flank they are in in battle is lead by someone of the appropriate culture. So it does pay to pick one and stick with it.

This in pretty much all circumstances. Although with English Longbows, you are probably going to want some HI or pike to stop charge on undefended, so it could be worth it to switch cultures to pick up some better HI or pike, just make sure they are still led by an English general.

Culture is only relevant for retinues when creating them (not for keeping them).

However note that if your ruler changes culture (or you have a new ruler of a different culture), you do lose all of the Cultural buildings/improvements in your counties. So you keep the Cataphract retinues, but lose the Cataphract Training Grounds in your castles.

Now that I think about it, there is an actual way to get retinues of different cultures without being that culture (although it's not in any way useful at all for so many reasons):

Land some people of different cultures, and give them at least a good-sized duchy (otherwise they won't have a big enough retinue cap to make retinues). Hope they build the cultural retinue, and then assassinate them until you inherit their land. You'll get their existing retinues as well.