Hearts of Iron IV - Developer Diary 8 - Experience and Variants

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will it be possible to aquire field experience from other nations?

Dear podcat, can you show me the map of Estonia in this game. I need to be sure that Estonia has the right map, where Jaanilinn and Petserimaa are Estonian lands.

P.S. Here is the picture that shows borded changes between 1939 and 2001.

Baltic_states_borders.jpg

it groups counters that overlap in the interface, so there is no direct tie-in with geography. If you zoom all the way out you basically get a summary of the entire army for your country in one pile. I have no idea how I played any of our strategy games without this. Its so much easier to get an overview

Ok, not quite sure I get it.

But in Poland, there's a double rectangle with what appears to be 20 normal infantry divisions mixed over 4 artillery divisions. Does that mean we can have pure Artillery divisions or is that something like Corps level artillery?

What does "carrier size" do? Is it used to determine a squadron's stacking the way hull is used in HOI3?

In the picture, next to the "mirabella" model, it says "inf" with a plus and a minus button. What is that? A transport?

Fascinating DD, as always.

Final question: will the HOI IV-footage from the Cologne make it to Youtube? Please, say yes :)

Dear podcat, can you show me the map of Estonia in this game. I need to be sure that Estonia has the right map, where Jaanilinn and Petserimaa are Estonian lands.

Uhm. No offense but really Estonia is a speed bump between the German and Soviet armies. It really doesn't matter if one province is in or not.

Quick question, will mods be able to add more things to change in these variants?

yes, everything is moddable. you can make a submarine carrier battleship if you want with all sorts of nutty upgrades.

What does "carrier size" do? Is it used to determine a squadron's stacking the way hull is used in HOI3?

In the picture, next to the "mirabella" model, it says "inf" with a plus and a minus button. What is that? A transport?

Fascinating DD, as always.

Final question: will the HOI IV-footage from the Cologne make it to Youtube? Please, say yes :)

- carrier size is basically how many planes fit on it. all the numbers you see there are pulled from a hat. thats one slow carrier.
- inf means infinite, the production line will keep building until you stop it (you can also tell it to only build a specific number of ships, probably something you want to do with large things like battleships and carriers)
- I dont know but I am pretty sure the fan gathering gets live streamed etc which should make it clear for Porkman how things work when he can see it in motion.

Reactions:
I hope there will be a mechanism for small nations without arms production to buy arms. Nations made large sums during the inter-war period selling arms as Britain sold small arms to Turkey (8mm Vickers MGs) & Latvia (MGs & Enfields in .303). During this period Ireland basically handcrafted 6(?) armored cars on truck frames, but all their arms came from Britain.

Unless you can do something with that money it makes little sense to have it in the game.

But small nations do need to have some method to buy small arms when they can't produce them. Unless like all other HOI games all nations will be able to make things.

But small nations do need to have some method to buy small arms when they can't produce them. Unless like all other HOI games all nations will be able to make things.
+1 This is very much needed!

Is this concept applied at all to existing ships or only to their design? In other words, I read the word upgrade a lot in the DD but Im not sure if that means an existing ship can be upgraded or not.

Good update – thanks and keep the dev diaries coming! It may just be me, but it feels like some of the good ideas from EvsW are being pulled into HOI IV.

Those Rome 2 hints ;). But yeah this seems like an interesting idea. Countering our hindsight this way will make for some more interesting game play and customization of our units. I would like to see shared allied experience in some way however.

Reactions: