• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(77885)

First Lieutenant
Jun 8, 2007
Quick question about my EU 4 game. What determines a countries type of tech level? Specifically how they get Eastern tech group. In my game, the unreformed pagans in Russia, the Paulician Golden Horde, and all the kingdoms in India ended up with Eastern tech. I was especially confused by the Horde and the Indian kingdoms. Why did that happen?

Religion determines tech I believe. Paulicians are heretics of Orthodoxy therefore Eastern Tech.

Tech explanation: I am not keeping a tight lip on the technology calculation really, my explanation has just been scattered all over the place. But at least what matters is: Religion, Average Technology of Realm, Nation(Ottoman and Aztec get some extra love), and if you hold key provinces. To give an example: If a Muslim conquered Paris, he will count as ottoman tech group. If he at the same time is very high tech(average tech level of realm is 5 or above) he will get the western tech group. The same counts for Tengri, they start as nomad, reform will give them Chinese, high tech will give them eastern and if they hold key provinces they will become western. All the other pagans have it easier. They only have to hold key province OR have high tech in order to get western.

Also important to note, this is average tech level of your Realm and not your capital. Which makes it a bit more difficult and which is why if you want it, you have to actually play the game and not just start up a random bookmark ;)

The list [of key provinces] is: Paris, Roma, Byzantion, Osterreich, middlesex, Venezia, Brugge, Genoa, Kent, Köln, Santiago.
So it is not that hard to accomplish, it just represents that the Muslims or Pagans have pierced in to the centre of the christian world and is leeching of from that. So if a Norse Pagan takes all of Britain for example, he will become Western.

This really needs to be stickied somewhere.