• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the Sherlock and Watson of the 11th century? :p

Yes, that's was what I was aiming at!

Those Wallachs have wrecked Bulgaria. Your 1000 AD map showed how well the Bulgars had done and now there's an opportunity to make the Danube the Imperial frontier. The Empire is rather impressive and Italy is steadily falling to Imperial armies. I'm still ambivalent towards the Illuminati. I do like how you've played out the Imperial reaction to a group founded by a time traveller from the future wanting to avoid the Great Mistake. Is Matthew a descendant of Reed?

No Matthew isn't a descendant. It is impossible for someone to live that long in the game, so I'm just telling the stories through the eyes of different people through the ages. The tough part is to ensure that the details of the "Great Mistake" is revealed in a way that makes sense, and yet keep the story coherent and interesting.

Chapter 19: A Study in Blue or Green

The priest entered the Room 13 of the Constantinople palace. For those not in the know, Room 13 was the headquarters of the Illuminati. Thomas was quickly briefed by agent Matthew and Patriarch Komas.

The amputated arm before Thomas was removed from a pirate who could apparently fire off lightning bolts. Thomas put on his trusty pair of spectacles. He began to examine the ligaments.
oZVXtD0.jpg

"It's obvious," Thomas remarked. "I know where this guy comes from."

Patriarch Komas and agent Matthew were shocked at the bold claim. Even the brightest of the Illuminati failed to uncover any information from the arm even though they have been researching for years.

Before he could continue, a riot broke out in the streets of the capital. After a controversial Blue team's victory over Green team at the Hippodrome, the drunk supporters clashed and the unrest even spilled over to the gates of the palace.

vY36Ou4.jpg

Immediately, Thomas advised that the trio took cover. Observing the riot, Thomas realised that assassinations were about to take place. As the city guards failed to contain the hooligans, the Varangian Guard were unleashed. After much violence, order was restored.

Once their safety was assured, Thomas rushed out to examine the carnage. Hundreds had been slaughtered. Yet Thomas managed to isolate the corpses of two city guards. They had been charred, as if struck by lightning. Their mysterious attackers had attempted to enter the palace, but were apparently discouraged by the use of the Emperor's bodyguards.

"Who were they targeting? Emperor Paschalis is away in Italy."

qEh55v2.jpg

"You guys-- the Illuminati. You guys are too close to the truth."

Ecumenical Patriarch Komas almost protested, but halted. It made sense. Reports of his agents gone missing had increased over the years. Initially, he taught it was due to the expansion of the Illuminati as the Empire increased in geographical area. But Thomas's conclusion also made sense.

"Before we were interrupted, you claimed you knew where the attackers were from."

"Kyrillos comes from France or Spain. I also know his team's intention. They seek to destroy the Illuminati," Thomas remarked emotionlessly.

The fingernails of the Kyrillos revealed the skins of the olive fruit. This indicated that he came from a land that favoured a Mediterranean climate. As a prominent one-armed man would not risk incurring the investigation of the empire, he would only go to the one place that had olives but no Imperial presence. That would be France or Spain.

In addition, the pirates returned the formula for Greek Fire without altering it in any way. This meant that by studying the formula, they had what they wanted. Since Greek Fire was created due to the influence of Reed, it was definite proof of interfence from the future. Their enemies were also from the future. The profiteers of the Great Mistake.

Patriarch Komas sunk into his chair. For the first time in his life, he did not know what to do. Even the resourceful Matthew was stumped. If there were many more like Kyrillos, it could spell their undoing. The Empire did not have enough men to defeat gods.

"Elementary, my dear agent," Thomas grinned. "We do not have to do it alone. We have allies who all believe in one God, no? We will take the battle to France and Spain!"

Agent Matthew smiled, as Thomas explained his grand strategy. Patriarch Komas would persuade Emperor Paschalis to root out the pirates, while the other agents of the Illuminati would prepare the weapons of war.

4kwY5tb.jpg

Perhaps some hope was in Rome after all.

VGwS0MN.jpg

The Empire in 1026

• 1Love
Reactions:
This is definitely something else. A great way to embed the different events occuring into the story, and the allusions combined with the main plot are nice.

A different perspective surely makes things very interesting, I'll follow. And congratulations for the showcase.

Ah yes, that would be why I said descendant and not son. Had Reed been made a noble holding a city, he'd have a family tree to trace. You'd have to have modded Reed and his wife in, of course.

Hungary's mistake was in taking land south of the Danube. The Wallachs are being fought, which is perhaps an imperial mistake. The Emperor is making as swift a work of Italy as he can. Future wars against France or Spain promise much. The Emperor would, I am sure, like the choice of target narrowed down.

Italy is almost swallowed goooood!

Subbed! Very interesting premise and well written, too. :)

9189283.jpg

Maybe this is all an elaborate plot by ancient aliens to save Rome?

Ancient Aliens are Byzantophiles.

Lovely intriguing story you have here.:)

Is it just me or am I also seeing Francia in the corner over there?

Chapter 20: The French Interpreter

"Where do these storms come from?" Thomas questioned the French shepherds. They had complained of unusual weather activity in the province of Lectoure. Emperor Paschalis had convinced his fellow kings to have a join coalition to root out the insurgency in their countries. Despite their long war on terror, they could not uncover the headquarters of the "capes".

That was until Thomas joined the hunt. Ignoring official channels, he interviewed the people who knew the ground best-- the merchants, farmers and even the beggars.

"I didn't know you spoke fluent French?" Agent Lestrade, who had replaced the retired Agent Matthew asked.

"You didn't ask. Don't tell the location of the hideout yet. I need time to prepare."

After identifying the hideouts of the pirates, the joint coalition of the Kings of France, Scotland and Lotharingia led a 11 000 men force to combat the insurgents.

svoE0Zp.jpg

What the coalition did not count on was that a 12, 000 strong enemy force approached the area. Early scouts reported that these soldiers had lightning for eyes and intimidating bodies.

Immediately, the kings shuddered in fear. Even one of them had proven to be formidable for a small army. How could they handle thousands, especially when they were outnumbered.

efyZJVX.jpg

Yet Emperor Paschalis showed no fear. He was eager to prove write his page in history, similar to his ancestors Bardas the Saint and Basileios the Holy. He even wanted to surpass the achievements of Charles Martel and Julius Caesar.

YTvy16O.jpg

"Come on, men! You want to live forever!"

"We can't fight gods!" The King of France protested.

"There's only one God, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like them!"

Thomas interjected, sharing his plan. With a team of the Illuminati agents and Brotherhood soldiers, he had diverted a river and constructed a temporary dam into the region of Lectoure. Luring the super humans into the area, the team unleashed waters upon the enemy as they were charging up to fire their bolts of lightning.

pnNJOlh.jpg

The effects were devastating. The burnt smell of the electrocuted bodies ubiquitously engulfed the air.

JiD8mDG.jpg

"Did we defeat all the 'capes'?" questioned Agent Lestrade.

Thomas shook his head. They were merely footmen. The mastermind was still out there.

"I will return to Rome, but you are not to return with me." Thomas ordered the agent.

"Why?"

"They will be coming for me next, and I will not allow you to throw away your life," the wise priest replied.

ghqarKM.jpg

The Empire in 1043

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah yes, that would be why I said descendant and not son. Had Reed been made a noble holding a city, he'd have a family tree to trace. You'd have to have modded Reed and his wife in, of course.

Hungary's mistake was in taking land south of the Danube. The Wallachs are being fought, which is perhaps an imperial mistake. The Emperor is making as swift a work of Italy as he can. Future wars against France or Spain promise much. The Emperor would, I am sure, like the choice of target narrowed down.

I considered modding, but I decided against it. Reed is more of a scientist than a count any way.

Is it just me or am I also seeing Francia in the corner over there?

Yes, it is!

the Empire is growing stronger by the day!

What is that one independent province near Bulgaria and Greece?

If "All hope lies in Rome," shouldn't it be the new capital? Who did you give it to?