• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gorton

Captain
69 Badges
Aug 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Why this this what I see:

2014-08-01_00001.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k82vwogkqhuzx9l/2014-08-01_00001.jpg

England have started a war vs France for gascony. England had about 15~ transports a short time before the war, but now they've all vanished. They also didn't bother rebuilding them.

This happens far too often for it to be a coincidence. It's like the AI doesn't understand it needs boats to get across to fight this war.
It also royally screws me : England will call me into a war it doesn't fight at all, leaving Brittany vs France :D

Does anyone else thing this is an oversight that needs fixing?

Last edited:
Transport units are quite a bottleneck for AI England, and you can't depend on them to peace out. :/
Advice (if desired): You may need to buy a ton of mercenaries (even if it means taking unholy amounts of loan money), fight defensively, and pray that you can win enough battles (and maybe siege provinces) to manage a white peace. Or, if possible, a peace for some of your gold + annulment of all treaties with England.

No, please open the link: AI England isn't building any transports at all.
They're starting wars against a country they literally CANNOT FIGHT because they have no transports. Doesn't anyone find that broken?

I started a similar thread about the navy ai in general, I also think that the inability of some major naval powers like England, Denmark, Castille really hampers the game:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?792394-Navy-Budget-Priority-AI

It seems like England lost its transports in a naval fight and for some reason they are really reluctant to rebuild transports. I think the developers should rework the transport budget priority, it worked actually really well in 1.5, might be the new AI budget routines that are somehow wonky...

It's not only the naval powers but the Colonial nations that need to do it as well, especially the ones in the Caribbean.

I've also noticed the problem of the AI just not rebuilding their navy. England has been quite the sad sack for the last few patches, not even taking Scotland in most of my games. A good way to handle this may be to encourage the AI to take loans during peacetime to rebuild its navy to a proper status. And maybe even add a mission similar to "Protect Against X" but with navies instead.

I've also noticed the problem of the AI just not rebuilding their navy. England has been quite the sad sack for the last few patches, not even taking Scotland in most of my games. A good way to handle this may be to encourage the AI to take loans during peacetime to rebuild its navy to a proper status. And maybe even add a mission similar to "Protect Against X" but with navies instead.

Burgundy, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, and the Ottomans have all rebuilt their navies that they have lost a portion or all of in my game (with me as GB/Fr).

Caribbean CN doesn't build transports ever, for some reason. All the other CNs build transports, but the Caribbean just doesn't. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug.
Considering all the separate islands should be considered independent colonies and not be united as any of the others were, it's pretty bad. If they are going to be unified, they need to be properly defending themselves, and for islands that means transports.

In my current game (current year: 1515), England lost the HYW but has been steadily gaining ground in France since then: they currently own a belt of territory stretching from Normandy to Luxembourg, as well as 3 provinces in the southwest of France. They've also annexed Scotland (England managed to fight a two-front war against Scotland and France, beating both of them convincingly). Then again, I don't know if the English navy has ever faced any serious losses (they are allied to Castile-Aragon, and France has given up on ships completely).

I've also had some frustrating experiences with the Caribbean CN. They are too slow at moving troops around by sea. If you (or the CN) conquer islands off other powers, you end up having to babysit them, or your CN's AI will just let them revolt back to their original owner.

Burgundy, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, and the Ottomans have all rebuilt their navies that they have lost a portion or all of in my game (with me as GB/Fr).

Let me clarify: they don't rebuild their navies to a level that can compete with a player in any way. This is compounded by the fact that one naval battle is enough to sink an entire enemy fleet. Depending on ship type and count, this could be over 1000g worth of ships lost in one go. So, arguably, the problem with navies goes deeper than them just not rebuilding, but rather that they have to rebuild from scratch every time.

On another note, the AI is worthless at extracting the most out of trade. They just don't build enough light ships to truly funnel money into their home node.

@Dkinator: I agree with this assessment, they build the entire trade system around the idea that navies should ne much more important in this game. Frankly, I liked this change, but they somehow haven't kept up the basic idea of the naval system with the changes made in the recent patches.

In my opinion, the naval system in general worked very good in Patch 1.5. However, in these days money was far too plentiful - this maybe the reason why the AI maintained such large navies and often sufficiently rebuild them as well. Then they made the big budget changes in 1.6 and the army maintenance changes in 1.7, which leaves many nations struggling for a budget, especially in the early years up until the 1600s...

I like all these changes, even the really pricey army maintenance and reinforcement changes in 1.7, but they somehow completely forgot about naval balance with these changes - they seriously need to rework that. I think the best way would be to ged rid of the always decisive battles and let at least half of the enemy navy flee most of the time - this would offset the rebuilding of the entire navy all the time.

And they need to give some kind of priority to building transports - the player can do with 5 to seven transports, because he's quick to get troops over the channel or the strait of gibraltar. But AI nations like England, Castille or France or Denmark constantly just trickle some 5-7 regiments over, which usually get instantly destroyed...

This is not good for balances sake!

No, please open the link: AI England isn't building any transports at all.
They're starting wars against a country they literally CANNOT FIGHT because they have no transports. Doesn't anyone find that broken?
How well is the English economy doing? Maybe they can't afford transports? It's really weird to see AI England with 0 transports.

How well is the English economy doing? Maybe they can't afford transports? It's really weird to see AI England with 0 transports.

Nah, it's not an economy thing. They just don't build them, no matter how well they're doing. Once their initial transports are wrecked, they go North Korea mode. While they still declare war or threaten other nations, they can't do crap about it.