• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mixxer5

General
74 Badges
May 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
Since I've started playing CK2 one thing heavily bothered me. Being a ruler, I'm doing my best to make my vassals love me. I'm bribing them, giving them my kids as wards, marrying my daughters to them and so on. If I don't, they'll replace me, because nothing, just nothing stands in their way. If relations with lord are too low- they start civil war. At the same time there are almost no consequences of being disliked by ruler. If I imprison someone, everyone will hate me. If I revoke someones title- everyone will hate me. If I execute someone- everyone will hate me. Being a king is pain in the back as it should be, but in a way it shouldn't be. Thus I have a proposition- direct ways to influence my vassals. Someone has ton of money? Tax him. Someone has plenty of levies, but doesn't like you and don't want to share? Force him. And so on. Rather than passing laws which affect every single of vassals (making them- again- hate me), I'd like to have possibility to strike someone particularly annoying. For example- if someone keeps starting factions against me (they should be a problem in a passive way, not just building up until revolt starts by the way), I'd like to be able to make his life harder by taking his troops. Such action would cause widespread opinion malus- because I abuse my power- but it should be lower than -70 for banishing someone, or -20 for execution. Also, I think that would affect immersion in a good way- I'll reduce tax for you if you leave faction against me. Such concessions could be renewable (and thus revoking them after some time could be problematic) and would depict realm decline in direct way. Even though Byzantine Empire would keep high CA and have highest taxes possible- direct privileges to nobility (granted to stay in power) would keep income and levies low.

Privileges/ penalties would be tied either to dynasty or a title (or both, depending on ruler decision). They could be invoked freely upon newly granted titles, but would cause small penalty when "granted" to someone already being a vassal (only penalties).

Opinions?

I think generally a concession system, where you can grant or deprive rights from vassals, would be very handy, and immersive.

I do think that it should perhaps be linked to the Vassal Primary Title, so the Duchy of Whateverstan, rather than the vassal himself/herself.

You can revoke for free if you got a claim, just send your chancellor to fabricate it(said chancellor can even be the same guy you're trying to destroy).
I used this a lot once in a game as england.

Edit: This said I would like to have the liege being able to favour vassals in vassal-vassal conflicts and bully the unliked that way.

You can revoke for free if you got a claim, just send your chancellor to fabricate it(said chancellor can even be the same guy you're trying to destroy).
I used this a lot once in a game as england.

Edit: This said I would like to have the liege being able to favour vassals in vassal-vassal conflicts and bully the unliked that way.

There are cheaper ways to get opinion, especially as the game drags on (if your plan was to just grant that title to a new duke).

Well, if you force one vassal to give all his levies (even if it is only him) all of them should still be threatened. Concessions with priveliegies though and more interactions would be good.

Well, if you force one vassal to give all his levies (even if it is only him) all of them should still be threatened. Concessions with priveliegies though and more interactions would be good.

I've been more thinking about giving privileges in exchange for all levies (while forcing someone to give some of them, or bigger part than usual), but nonetheless- idea is very open. I'd be very happy if it would be implemented at all.

Just a 'dread' of 'fear' mechanic would do nicely. Like you said, you're always trying to appease your vassals. Just for once I want to have them squeal like little girls when I march my mighty armies at their castles and have them crawl like the maggots they are!

(Okay, I got a little carried away there.)

Maybe the problem is more that the game forces the player to appease the AI but doesn't force the AI to appease the player. Because when you play as a vassal, you have to do the same favor-peddling to the AI liege -- or s/he'll take away your titles, imprison you, fire you from council, refuse marriages, etc.