• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hays35

First Lieutenant
4 Badges
Apr 15, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
2 Questions actually.

Question 1.
Is it worth to destroy the Kingdom to handle the bad Dukes ?
In order to expand my teritorries, I usurped and create Kingdom so I don't have to fabricate a claims one by one.
But now the Empire is getting bigger and bigger, some Dukes are very annoying. I have the best heir (Genius, all good traits), yet the dukes choose for other for some Kingdom. The majorities of the Dukes still loves me and they follow my Chosen heir in most of the kingdom I have, but 2 or Kingdoms are always making problem every time the new Emperor ascendt the throne. I have wasted time to make them happy for the first 10 to 15 years of each reign just to make those bastard happy.
So I am thinking to destroy the Kingdom and let them do the elective only for the empire. (I am emperor of Francia and Kings of Burgundy, Lotharingia, Germany, France, Aquintance, Bavaria, Pomerania, Poland, Bohemia, Navara, Aragon and Africa. Only Aquintance and Poland have difficult Dukes, with sometimes also France. But all others are fine).
If I destroy the Kingdom they will hate me still, but at least I am not disturbed by elective of the heir as most of the Dukes still love me.

Question 2.
For elective heir of the empire, does a duke which is not the jure part of the empire also vote ?
Let say I am the emperor of Francia. does a duke (my direct vassal) in Andalusia vote for my heir ? Or only the dukes within de jure empire of Francia may vote ?
Thanks a lot.

There are many ways of structuring your vassals; personally I create all* the titles I can - it makes the game a little more challenging. (*the one exception being Duchies in which I hold only a few of the Counties but cannot afford to hold the Duchy myself)
As an Emperor, don't be afraid of handing out Kingdoms; it's easier to keep 1 vassal happy than many.

As for Q2:

The ruler and each lower rank vassal (e.g. dukes if the ruler is a king) can nominate a successor from among themselves and legitimate children and siblings of the ruler. Dukes are valid electors in both kingdoms and empires.
Source: http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Succession_Laws#Succession_Laws

About question 1 :

- If you hold the title, you have a -20 opinion with all dukes ("Wants the Kingdom of XXX")
- If you hand it out, you have -25 with only one king ("Vassal king" opinion modifier)

The -5 difference is greatly compensated by the fact that it's easier to manage one guy instead of 2 to 10.
You just have to be careful in the choosing of the king. Assassinating ambitious or envious heirs can make your life easier.
Also, don't hand out kingdoms if they are too important. I would usually try to keep my vassals under 15% of my power.

Thanks for the Q2.

For the Q1, I had a bad experience handing out a kingdom.
In my earlier game, I got the Kingdom of Greece from the Crusade.
As it was too big for me, I gave it to my younger brother.
Her was very grateful of course in the beginning.
But when I died and my son became the emperor, my brother hated him.
As the son, I had to handle a big faction just because my uncle, the King of Greece had too much power.
At the end I granted my uncle independent. So this time, I am thinking not to give away a big Kingdom.
I can give away Kingdom of Navara which is small, no problem. If they want to revolt, I can crush them immediately.

Thanks Cyctemic,
Actually choosing someone to be the King is not a big deal for me.
The problem is the next generation.
When my ruler died, the king might not like my heir.
Or if the king dies, his heir will have different trait than his father.

This is also a problem which is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.
I once gave a courtier a county. He of course very grateful.
But his son will forget everthing what my family had done for his family.

In my Roman Empire game, I created no kingdom titles, except the ones that are not de jure into the empire. All the kingdoms outside of the de jure lands, I handed over to vassals. As Cyctemic said, it's much easier to deal with one unhappy king than 5-10 angry dukes, at least corruption and assassination wise.

About question 1 :

- If you hold the title, you have a -20 opinion with all dukes ("Wants the Kingdom of XXX")
- If you hand it out, you have -25 with only one king ("Vassal king" opinion modifier)

The -5 difference is greatly compensated by the fact that it's easier to manage one guy instead of 2 to 10.
You just have to be careful in the choosing of the king. Assassinating ambitious or envious heirs can make your life easier.
Also, don't hand out kingdoms if they are too important. I would usually try to keep my vassals under 15% of my power.

Or if you destroy it you have a -50 for a short time (10 years(?) or until your ruler dies) only with the du jure rulers and then you don't have to worry about either of those maluses. Destroying kingdoms works great when the ONLY people who own land in the du jure area are dukes/counts in that area. What sucks is when you try to destroy multiple kingdoms and someone has land in both... Then you get a -100 from them since it's -50 times two. :(

In my games I always destroy multiple kingdoms like that and deal with the short-term pain (maybe one to two per ruler, and only when he's old/well-liked), but that's the beauty of the game, you can play it any way you'd like.

Or if you destroy it you have a -50 for a short time (10 years(?) or until your ruler dies) only with the du jure rulers and then you don't have to worry about either of those maluses. Destroying kingdoms works great when the ONLY people who own land in the du jure area are dukes/counts in that area. What sucks is when you try to destroy multiple kingdoms and someone has land in both... Then you get a -100 from them since it's -50 times two. :(

In my games I always destroy multiple kingdoms like that and deal with the short-term pain (maybe one to two per ruler, and only when he's old/well-liked), but that's the beauty of the game, you can play it any way you'd like.
Is there empire de jure drift if you don't own the kingdom title ?

Whether or not to hand out kingdom titles is frankly a question of how you want to manage your realm, frankly I have always found it easier to deal with a few powerful vassals than trying to deal with a ton of weaker vassals, also I find that sometimes the local dukes will give the vassal king enough trouble that I don't really have to worry about him