• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

frolix42

Kilwa is my Jam
110 Badges
Nov 22, 2009
  • Sengoku
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
100 years ago today, Austro-Hungary declared war on Serbia. Here's to he best World War 1 game on the market.

[video=youtube;X3fbIGREh4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fbIGREh4Y_zZxQ[/video]

I think someone should make a 1914, 1910 or 1900 mod for Victoria 2. Perfect timing.

OT: Poor Kaiser Willy. Had the entire blame of war placed on him and his country, whose people abandoned him and his centuries old dynasty. I idolize and sympathize him at the same time. How dare they reject that awesome mustache!

We used to sing that song in school :)

And I am talking 1980s, not earlier before anyone says anything - LOL

I think someone should make a 1914, 1910 or 1900 mod for Victoria 2. Perfect timing.

OT: Poor Kaiser Willy. Had the entire blame of war placed on him and his country, whose people abandoned him and his centuries old dynasty. I idolize and sympathize him at the same time. How dare they reject that awesome mustache!

Well, after all the the pre-war euphoria, the German people had a rude awakening. The fact that the Entente put the sole blame for the war on them probably didn't help. Same with Austria - they not only abolished their monarchy, but also exiled their former ruling dynasty.

In retrospect, I imagine a 1914 scenario along the lines of HoD was planned before CK2 and EU4 sucked resources away from it. From this perspective I understand some the the hostility primarily Vic2 players have towards EU4.

I agree with Dan Carlin when he says Kaiser Wilhelm was a thoroughly mediocre leader (as in average, not an idiot) trying to be a Fredrick the Great or Napoleon.

I agree with Dan Carlin when he says Kaiser Wilhelm was a thoroughly mediocre leader (as in average, not an idiot) trying to be a Fredrick the Great or Napoleon.

It was a shame his father Frederick III died relatively young at 56 after only being on the throne for 99 days, he was more of a moderate than his son and perhaps may have steered Germany on a different path.

It was a shame his father Frederick III died relatively young at 56 after only being on the throne for 99 days, he was more of a moderate than his son and perhaps may have steered Germany on a different path.

Indeed and an even bigger shame that the moronic deputy SPD leader (Philipp Scheidemann) declared the republic supported by that utter fool Woodrow Wilson! The original plan by SPD leader Friedrich Ebert and Prinz Max von Baden was apparently to install Frederick's grandson on the throne and have his liberal mother act as regent for him. This may well have worked very well and, lets face it, anything would almost have been better than the way it did work out!

Indeed and an even bigger shame that the moronic deputy SPD leader (Philipp Scheidemann) declared the republic supported by that utter fool Woodrow Wilson! The original plan by SPD leader Friedrich Ebert and Prinz Max von Baden was apparently to install Frederick's grandson on the throne and have his liberal mother act as regent for him. This may well have worked very well and, lets face it, anything would almost have been better than the way it did work out!

Don't blame Scheidemann, blame the communists. Liebknecht wanted to declare a soviet republic, so Scheidemann beat him to the punch to spare the German people from that. Nobody wanted a republic. Not the Social Democrats, not the military, not even the people. Everyone wanted reform instead of revolution - except the communists.

Don't blame Scheidemann, blame the communists. Liebknecht wanted to declare a soviet republic, so Scheidemann beat him to the punch to spare the German people from that. Nobody wanted a republic. Not the Social Democrats, not the military, not even the people. Everyone wanted reform instead of revolution - except the communists.

If the people did not want a republic, the Communists wouldn't have been able to create one, and the Social Democrats wouldn't have needed to beat them to it.

Who knows what would have happened, wings of a butterfly and all that.

Perhaps a communist Germany would have lead to a worldwide revolution, abolishing personal property, religion, money and casting the world in a completely new direction. Maybe a liberal monarch would have held the nation through the depression & inflation the country suffered through and emerged as strong democracy in the late '30's helping steer Europe away from conflicts.

I doubt the people would get over the stab in the back, though. Sure a liberal or communist government would steer the country to a different direction, but conflict won't necessarily be avoided.