• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I
THE GREAT WAR

Episode 4
WAR EXPANDS

Right after the War started, Tsar gets some disturbing news from spy in Istanbul.

11w9460.jpg

Good thing Petr already counted on Ottomans being a part of an anti-Russian coalition. But, they didn't enter the war yet, they just are preparing for it. So is Russia, troops are moved to Ottoman border in Armenia. Russia and Ottomans will fight again.

2j2z2bm.jpg

Just as Nicholas ordered offensives into Galicia, a ultimatum comes from Wilhelm of Germany. He is requesting that Russian troops demobilize, because Austria is German defensive ally. Nicholas talked to his ministers about this ultimatum.

"-If we give into his demands, Wilhelm will never forget that. He will think we are cowards, and we really would be if we demobilized right now. We expected a war, we will fight a war."
"-Tsar, please reconsider. If Germany enters on Austrian side, we would be at war from Baltics to Romania. I don't think we can fight that."
"-Sergey, I will let Petr speak for me."
"-Well, I have designed a plan to fight both Austria and Germany..." ,"and Romania and Ottomans",added Nicholas to Petr's speech. "...yes, all of them. I think we can win this war. So my opinion is that we decline this ultimatum and ready our troops to attack East Prussia."

Russian cabinet agreed, the ultimatum was to be declined, and war with Germany is expected to start very soon.

In the meantime, Russian soldiers conducted an offensive into Galicia in an attempt to push Austrian troops all the way to the Hungarian border. Generals surely thought army had what it takes to win, but soldiers didn't feel the same way.
4t4t1z.jpg

Battle of Tarnopol started, with 33 Russian divisions fighting only 4 of Austrians. And it was in this, first battle of the war that Russian command realized, only with numbers they can win. Austrians put up a fight and the battle rages on.

oihxmf.jpg

And soon, Germany declared war. Even though he expected it, Nicholas was still very surprised with these news. Apparently, he walked in his palace constantly repeating the same sentence: "-Why Wilhelm, why?" On the dinner that night he told these news to his spouse Alexandra and added "-I never liked that German anyway." It was probably in this moment that people around him started thinking that Nicholas is slowly going mad. But he didn't think that.

It was time for Petr Bark to prove his worth. Entire Russian Eastern European Army (REEA) was in full combat readyness, fit for fighting at any moment. Then, while Galician offensive still went on, Petr made a decision to attack East Prussia as well. Some of the generals thought that two tough offensives at the same moment, while trying to hold Poland is not the best decision but Nicholas approved it anyway.
hs0vpw.jpg

So Russian troops started moving by the Baltic coast. Goal was simple- reach Danzig.

2z4xzxt.jpg

Two days later, while he was walking in park, Nicholas got the news, that Tarnopol has been captured. He then burst with pride and called a party that very night in his palace.

1200px-Russian_Troops_NGM-v31-p372.jpg

But it didn't stop there, Russian troops quickly rallied and set off for Austrian lines again. The goal was to capture Chust before September.

28wmnt2.jpg

The answer from France soon arrived on this War. France had a treaty with Russia so the mobilized, and because of that mobilization Germany declared war on France and neutral Luxembourg and Belgium. Western front had started.
11bngjo.jpg

119w6ev.jpg
Nicholas then had a speaker inform the people about the situation in the war.
"-People of Petrograd, and entire Russia. We are at war, we declared war on Austria-Hungary in order to protect our Serbian allies. Since then, it has erupted and now we are fighting Germans as well. But we are not alone. France is on our side, they formally declared themselves our allies. And our government believes Britain will soon be joining on our side as well, as Germany has attacked neutral Belgium. Government requests your help. Everyone needs to have a role in this war. Work harder, give food to local military facilities, soldiers on frontlines need it. Any man wanting to go to war can sign up as a recruit. Government thinks of you, and you have nothing to be afraid of. Russian Imperial Army led by REEA will end this war soon enough. You won't even notice. That is all."

21jyx00.jpg

And just as the cabinet expected, Britain joined Franco-Russian alliance soon. And this alliance got a new name- Entente, opposed to a German alliance- Central Powers. "-With British navy, French land army and Russian numbers, this war will surely be ended soon", Nicholas thought. This war was already getting big proportions, and some have even found a name for it- the Great War.

256soxh.jpg

It was in these moments that propaganda played a vital role. Cult of Tsar as it was called played a big role at the start of the war. Nicholas was to represent the savior, who will save the people from war and ensure peace. It worked, for now.

Maps of frontlines were being printed daily, Nicholas checked all of them. First ones were:
f38j1w.jpg

dg5q9t.jpg

Offensives are going good. Petr and Nicholas are happy. Seems like that talk back in Rostov really payed off. East Prussia is slowly coming under Russian control, and path to Chust is pretty much open now.

714px-Russian_poster_WWI_083.jpg

One night, Alexandra and Nicholas had a talk..
"-Honey I think we should move to Moscow. This war may actually last longer then I and Petr expected."
"-To Moscow? Are you sure, you know how kids don't like to travel?"
"-Oh don't worry. Moscow is more safe then Petrograd. German navy may attack Petrograd, you know that."
"-Alright then, we will move to Moscow. Who will come with us?"
"-Ummm, haven't really thought about it. I will see to it tomorrow, I am too tired now."

Last edited:
Holy Russia will never fall, even if Russia becomes the USSR down the road.

For sure, keep the autocracy, imagine how awesome it will be :)

But how will the mod handle it?
I'm not sure there is events for WW2 with a still tsarist Russia.
And there is the red colors on the AAR's banner ;)

Hmmm....are there events for an Alien invasion in 1945? Are there events for a Russo-Mongolian Empire?
I'm the living proof that you don't need events in order to play what you want.
Anyway, RealityGuy know how to create events. He is making a mod alone ... so this Tsarist Empire is possible to resist after the Great War!

Chapter I
THE GREAT WAR

Episode 5
NICHOLAS' SECRET

With the start of the War, Russian imperial family moved to Moscow, new de-facto capital of Russian Empire. Nicholas explained to his family this move with safety reasons, as Moscow is more away from sea and front so can't come under direct enemy fire. With Romanovs came Petr Bark, minister of defense and one new face, Kliment Voroshilov, head of Petrograd police, now Moscow police. Nicholas met Kliment back in Rostov, when Petr brought him as his personal guard. Petr personally trusted Kliment, so Nicholas trusted him as well. Nicholas and Kliment started to spend time together, and soon Kliment was named the head of security of the Imperial family. Seems like Nicholas considered him as a friend, and Kliment thought the same of Nicholas as well.

It was a beautiful August afternoon. Nicholas was having lunch with his family when one of the servants announced a guest. It was Kliment Voroshilov, sent to Nicholas by Petr Bark with the war charts of the current situation.
"-Welcome Kliment, please come in."
"-How are you tsar. I hope I am not disturbing anything."
"-Oh no, not a chance. You are a welcomed sight. You know I am getting tired of all the generals. I prefer casual outfit instead."
"-Well, being a head of police does bring some bonuses. But anyway, here is a war chart Petr sent to you."

rc3fic.jpg

"-I see. Seems like we are about to take Danzig from Germans. Berlin won't be too far from there, don't you think Kliment?"
"-Tsar, with all the respect."
"-Speak Kliment, please."
"-I don't think we are seeing the best of Germans. There are barely any divisions of theirs fighting us, and we are still having a hard time with them, even with our huge numbers."
"-Oh don't worry Kliment. I trust Petr. He told me he can win this war and that he will."
"-You know the best sir. I have to get going now, service calls. It was nice seeing you sir. Send my greeting to Alexandra."
"-She is just in the other room, but I will surely do that. Goodbye Klimet."

14mw42f.jpg

Couple days later, with the help of the British, which took part in it as well, Persia was cut in half. Russians got the northern part, British got the south. They explained this move as a protection of the oil fields, but some in the government knew it was all a preemptive against Ottomans.

34dmvc4.jpg

In a letter to Nicholas, Petr Bark said:
"-As you can see sir, our troops are moving more into Galicia. Hungarian border is not too far now. I have ordered an attack on Chust. I also contacted Romanians who promised to join the war on our side if we push to Hungary. It is going well sir. Petr."

2coilh4.jpg

30th August is a date that will forever stay written in Russian history. It was a day Russian Imperial army went from attacking to defending. Of course, no one knew that at the time. When news of a defeat in Torun came to Moscow, everyone just thought it was some small German counterattack. But it was a whole lot more. It was the start of everything bad for Russia. After this battle, there won't be celebrations in Russian streets for a long, long time.

A week later...
35mp6rd.jpg

"-What is going on? Why are we losing ground? I even sent navy to help take Danzig but we already lost Königsberg. Germans are at the gates of Warsaw!"
"-Tsar, Germans sent reinforcements to the front. They outnumber us. We don't have good equipment. We can't hold them."
"-I don't want to hear about can'ts general. You were ordered to take East Prussia. Why do you think I recalled you to Moscow?"
"-I don't know sir. My men need me. Every day we lose more and more territory. We need to reorganize."
"-Get out of my sight..."

11sicjo.jpg

And then this news came. Alexandra reported Nicholas started going mad. He shouted 'Petr' in his home for entire evening. Next day there was a meeting in Kremlin. Kliment Voroshilov, Petr Bark, and Sergey Sazonov were some that will attend.

Next morning...
ztvuz5.jpg

23ksw13.jpg
"-I need someone to explain to me. How were we winning and then all of the sudden we are pushed out of Poland?"
"-Sir it is not all that bad. I just got the news that our Galician army was able to stop the German attack in Tarnopol."
"-Really Petr? That is great news. But it is not enough. We are losing in the north. Can you do something about that?"
"-We will see sir, I don't have all the answers yet."

Of course he didn't realize it, but Nicholas was ignoring his family. He just didn't have time now that everything was falling apart. This war was taking him away. And no one expected the secret he was holding. No one expected he would tell that secret to Petr and Kliment a week later.

2ni4f48.jpg

2wcqr03.jpg

It was a tough week for Russia. First, 14 divisions got destroyed when they failed to retreat in time, and remained surrounded in Lomza. 30000 Russians died in the battle, 100000 more surrendered to the Germans. Only Petr Bark knew of this in the government. He chose to destroy the maps and reports from this battle. He though it would be better if the word doesn't get spread of Lomza massacre.

htya0k.jpg

And then a word came of a bombardment taking place in the Black Sea. It was Ottomans. They started bombing Russian ports. Russia had no choice. War was declared on them that very day.

vjbxs.jpg

War with Ottomans was expected. That is when army of Caucasus comes into story. Ottomans did not expect to be attacked. But they did. Russian army was, at least, better then the Ottoman.

2wr45uc.jpg

27x4jk5.jpg

Emperor managed to forget about all the troubles in the country when he learnt of a naval victory in Black Sea.

27th October
25saedw.jpg
Russian Eastern European Army is routing. Riga and Minsk, have been captured by Germans. Nicholas couldn't believe it. It was time to reveal that big secret of his. Kliment and Petr were called to meeting in Kremlin again. But this time, underground.

"-Where are we, tsar?"
"-Under Kremlin Petr. You remember when we had a talk in Rostov? Ever since then there have been works under Kremlin. Building this..."
"-What is this, sir?"
scotland-secret-bunker.jpg
"-Kliment, this is the Longway, the hallway that leads into a bunker."
"-A bunker, tsar?"
"-Yes, Petr. A bunker. Unfinished yet, but it should be done within a year."
"-What for?"
"-One day our enemies will have such an advanced weaponry that will be able to wipe our cities off the map. In that era, we will need underground bunkers for protections. This bunker is about 50 years ahead of its time, so I am told."
"-Who else knows of this sir?"
"-Only the two of you, me and a architect who is building it. You need to know about it, if something happens to me, to Russia, this is where you will hide. I trust in you two not to spread the word about it."
"-Yes sir, we are silent."
"-Good, now let's get outside, its freezing here."

Neither Kliment nor Petr told anyone about the Longway. They almost forgot about it, thinking it is absurdity. Attention was given to win the war...

91a07l.jpg

...the war, that was not going good at all. By November 5th, Kiev and Smolensk are almost at the frontlines. No matter what Russian generals try, Germans keep on winning. Like they are superhumans. No one can stop them.

vo8pxl.jpg

And then Nicholas finds out that Serbia is almost beaten as well. They are retreating south, through Albania.

2ngv0pl.jpg

Using the opportunity, Bulgaria joins German alliance. Serbia is doomed. But why should Russia worry. They themselves are in a though situation....

2j0mjpc.jpg

In a foreign newspapers that Nicholas got from Britain he read about an end of the Mexican Civil War. He didn't pay much attention to it.

33xbpz9.jpg

What interested him more was how Russia was doing. In Armenia, Russians continue to advance. However, that is not the situation in the north.

nfl3wk.jpg

fdab6a.jpg

It took Germans 2 hours to occupy empty Kiev. The loss of this city really affected the population in Russia, which was slowly getting fed up with this war. The losses in the war have already taken a toll on economy. Population was hungry. Nicholas and Alexandra didn't care. War was everything in their minds.

"-I told you Alexandra. We are going to lose."
"-Nicholas, my love. So what."
"-I don't want to lose, to Germans, to Austrians, to no one."
"-Sacrifices have to be made my love. Just make sure our home in Petrograd doesn't get destroyed."
"-I will. I will never let Petrograd fall. It never did before, it won't under my rule."
"-About that Petr Bark man. I don't trust him. Didn't he tell you he would win this war for you. And look where his command led us. We lost Kiev because of him."
"-I don't trust him anymore myself. I will have to get rid off him. He is responsible for the troubles in Russia."
"-Exactly..."

December 7th

2le2ull.jpg

Germans were unstoppable. They have Petrograd under siege. Moscow is soon going to be as well. Russian army is melting away. Tsar has ordered that Petrograd be defended to the last man. It must not fall, because if it does, entire country will collapse.

2dkx06h.jpg

15 divisions are ready to defend the capital of Russia. Navy will take part in the battle as well. This battle may decide the war.

tumblr_ly2ffqO77s1r2c0noo1_500.jpg

Militia is being trained. Everyone is rising up to defend their nations' capital. Too bad I wasn't up there...​

To be fair, if the Western Front being so stalemated is any indication, that's probably most of the German Army right there.

France isn't always aggressive whenever Germany goes after Russia. This is likely the case here since the front is so short.

Just 4 months into the war and Germany is preparing to attack the Russian capital. Not looking good. May be even Serbia will hold out longer than the mighty Russia?

France can't do much versus Germany right now. The front is narrow, the Germans dug in, sometimes behind rivers and the French units are often one tech level behind.

I would love to see an event where a France that's frustrated at being stuck in Alsace and Lorraine attacks a neutral Belgium in order to attack at a "softer" part of the German lines. It would be helpful in this type of scenario since it's something that's historically plausible.

Better still, if the UK are not yet in the war in such a situation, a French DOW on Belgium could trigger a British intervention on behalf of the CP. Or at least make the UK much less likely to join the Entente.