• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WAD, by 1066 only lower class Western Bretons were speaking Breton as their main language, so realistically Breton should drift in to the Latin group too.

From what I can find, the Breton nobility didn't start adopting French until the 12th Century.

In addition, culture is not the same as language.

Incidentally, the official explanation as to why Breton fires the Norman Melting Pot, but none of the other Latin cultures do, is apparently because it would be too much work.

Similarly, there are events for the appearance of Norman culture, which is formed by Norse conquerors in Frankish, Breton or Occitan lands. (Yes, we could have done this for any number of cultures in the game, but it is quite a lot of work. It is, of course, also fully moddable.)

Just saying but this is almost the Stamford bridge start.

It's still significantly later than Stamford Bridge. I don't have a definite date on when the first Breton noble decided "Hey, guys, I think these Gallaoueds have a pretty good thing going for them," but at the very least, it's more than 44 years.

Regardless, the Norman Melting Pot event does seem to only really be relevant for the 867 start.

A melting pot between Breton and Norse becoming Norman seems realistic. During the 10th century, the viking lords of Nantes were called Normans. Some part of Normandy (County of Mortain which belong to Brittany in 867) were also closer to Breton culture than Frankish culture when the duchy was created.

Just roll with it, and pretend Norman culture in this world is a Norse/ Celtic mix instead of a Norse/ French one.

It's a little hard to do that when all your Normans are getting French names.

A melting pot between Breton and Norse becoming Norman seems realistic. During the 10th century, the viking lords of Nantes were called Normans. Some part of Normandy (County of Mortain which belong to Brittany in 867) were also closer to Breton culture than Frankish culture when the duchy was created.

I personally want melting-pot cultures for Norse ruling over Irish or Scottish lands (Norse-Gaelic) and ruling over Breton or Welsh lands (Norse-Brythonic).

I personally want melting-pot cultures for Norse ruling over Irish or Scottish lands (Norse-Gaelic) and ruling over Breton or Welsh lands (Norse-Brythonic).

Norse-Gaelic, yes. But why Norse-Brythonic? Why not Norse-Arab? Or Finno-Frankish?

Norse-Gaelic, yes. But why Norse-Brythonic? Why not Norse-Arab? Or Finno-Frankish?

Because there are Brythonic Celts in Britain, which is the region that tends to have the most interaction with the Norse. Aside from Scandinavia of course. So it makes sense to have a melting pot for Norse ruling over them; plus it'd get rid of the issue of Bretons becoming Norman.

Because Norsemen staying in Britain is more likely that Finns invading France or Norse in Arabia... But I've sometimes seen norse kingdoms in northern africa, so a norse-arab (vandal?) culture sounds good to me as well

If a county was closer to Breton culture than to Frankish then it should remain Breton and not become Norman, because in CK2 Norman culture is much closer to Frankish than to Breton (in terms of names, culture group, portraits, etc.)

If the Norse conquer a mixed Breton/Frankish territory, then Norman culture would appear in the Frankish provinces and spread to the Breton provinces from there.