• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FranKrsto

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Jun 5, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I was playing as The Hansa and was allied with Austria. I am reformed, Austria is catholic. They are the defender of the faith. I had a small coalition going on (actually in my favor since I had claims, my vassals had claims/cores on their lands etc) and I carefully planned exactly which member of the coalition I will attack to get the most of my war.

So I open the declare war window and on the upper left it says "they are allied to X,Y..., they will bring in the coalition members Z; Austria is the defender of the faith and will protect them". On the bottom right however, where the checkbox is, it showed green for Austria joining the war on my side and when I hovered over the reasons I only had -4 for their slight war exhaustion. There was nothing mentioned about them being the defender.

So it is basically the same scenario as when you want to attack a nation that is also allied to your ally. But in that scenario the checkbox works fine because it shows your ally actually wont join because they are also allied to the enemy.
Same should go for the defender of the faith.

Right now it is expected of me to assume something could potentially be bugged if I want to play in ironman mode.

I dont have to tell you how Austria taking over the war and calling in their allies ruined my Hansa run completely since I was outnumbered 4:1.. I would never declare such war and as I said, it is expected of me to also figure out which part of the game might be bugged if I dont want to start all over again.

I play in ironman mode because I feel like playing that way actually forces you to think more and be more strategic, plan things more carefully but bugs like this make me want to play a non-ironman game instead.

Please fix this Paradox.

Thanks, looks like I really am blind... :)

edit: I added the game I logged in through that paradox logo icon etc but I cant post on bug subsection of the forum...

Last edited:
You don't show as having any games registered. In MyGames, Is there anything in the "registered games" area? Does EU4 still list in the "Choose game" droplist?

I wouldn't call it so much a bug as a feature that really needs to be expanded on. I still recall with horror the first-ever war I fought in my first-ever game of EUIV.
"I'll invade Granada, it'll be easy. They're just allied to Algiers. Declare...wait a second, how did the Ottomans get involved? ...Oh, they're allied with Algiers. ...Crap, they're the largest military in the world? Maybe they won't come across the Mediterranean..."
Long story short, I released Galica and my pride.

The Defender of the Faith thing seems like a simple addition, but I'd also appreciate a brief "check for powerful ally-of-allies" thing.

You don't show as having any games registered. In MyGames, Is there anything in the "registered games" area? Does EU4 still list in the "Choose game" droplist?

I choosed EUIV Res Publica and entered the key. I see the game as registered in MyGames just fine... Not sure what is the problem.

The bug forum shows as private and I cant make a thread at all.

I wouldn't call it so much a bug as a feature that really needs to be expanded on. I still recall with horror the first-ever war I fought in my first-ever game of EUIV.
"I'll invade Granada, it'll be easy. They're just allied to Algiers. Declare...wait a second, how did the Ottomans get involved? ...Oh, they're allied with Algiers. ...Crap, they're the largest military in the world? Maybe they won't come across the Mediterranean..."
Long story short, I released Galica and my pride.

The Defender of the Faith thing seems like a simple addition, but I'd also appreciate a brief "check for powerful ally-of-allies" thing.

Yes but that is the chain alliance thing. You can figure that yourself after you get some game experience. A bigger ally will always take over for the little guy (so to speak) and call in their allies. It would be nice if declare war window warned you ally will take over the war though..

I am talking about a thing where declare war window says Austria will join the war on both sides basically and there is no way to know which side they will join.

Last edited:
I hit this exact problem last night, except it's France as DotF for me, so even worse. First time I declared war, they didn't enter on either side, then I could manually call them in, so I tried it a second time a few decades later and they entered against me. There goes my Ironman!

Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed registering any EUIV DLC allows me to post in the bug section of the forum. Now I registered all that I purchased just to make sure ;)

For future reference:

From what I know you only need to register the base game to get access to the appropriate sub-forums; however I wouldn't be surprised if the forum's administrative staff also allowed only DLC to be registered for access to sub-forums. In any case though, you're generally just best off registering everything..

Status
Not open for further replies.