• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NewbieOne

Field Marshal
31 Badges
Dec 4, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Suppose you're k_Sicily. All of: Taranto, Bari, Lecce/Birindisi are independent counts. All of you guys are Italian Catholics. Taranto and Bari have a low opinion of you and won't bend knee. Lecce loves you, but has no land border.

Worse. You're k_Wales and c_Cornwall or even d_Cornwall is independent, which is a more realistic scenario. No matter what, you can't vassalize them, even though they're the last missing two counties in your de iure kingdom, you're both holding out for your dear lives against the Normans or Saxons pushing you into the sea and so on.

The Pope (holding d_Latium) won't be able to vassalize an independent Ortebello as long as Orvietto is held by someone else (for example it has slipped out into the HRE due to inheritance).

Armenia and Syria are also difficult to put together for this reason. In fact, there are plenty of 1- or 2-county-wide bottlenecks in places like Italy, Greece, Norway, Scotland, possibly the Balkans and Spain. Or France.

France. Well. Think about the Hundred Years War where powerful local French lords can't swear fealty to the King of France because there's a strip of English-held land between them and the king.

And you can forget about vassalizing any island peacefully. None of:

– Cyprus,
– Crete,
– Mallorca and Menorca,
– Corsica and Sardinia,
– the Orkneys,
– Iceland

... can go over to their de iure liege peacefully, even with the same culture, religion and so on.

This is unduly harsh and serves no good purpose, either.

The holy war CB and republic trade zones (connection with capital) already make use of some smart/advanced land and sea distance calculations, so it shouldn't be a problem to allow for a sea connection check in diplomatic vassalization.

Come on, dev team, make it at least so that you can diplovassalize them if you sit on the same sea piece and you are their de iure liege, you share the same religion and culture. Coming back to the fold shouldn't be prevented by a small dent in overland congruity.

Forum members, please say you agree with me on this (unless you don't, but you should :p).

Start game. Select Byzantine empire. Go to diplo for the count of Naples. Select offer vassalisation. Its 'yes' no land border, quite a number of sea zones. Even check by doing it.

I've actually done a number of those examples in the past.

Distant realm only applies when its out of your de jure realm. And its there because diplovassalisation isn't technically hard and they don't want people running across the board with it.

I just agree with one thing: The Pope should be able to claim De jure counties, even if someone else hold it. In my games the Pope only holds Rome and I don't think that's very historical.

Start game. Select Byzantine empire. Go to diplo for the count of Naples. Select offer vassalisation. Its 'yes' no land border, quite a number of sea zones. Even check by doing it.

I've actually done a number of those examples in the past.

Distant realm only applies when its out of your de jure realm. And its there because diplovassalisation isn't technically hard and they don't want people running across the board with it.

Strange. I'm almost certain I've been unable to diplovassalize folks from my own de iure kingdoms due to Distant Realm.