• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LiberiusX

Field Marshal
87 Badges
Feb 5, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
It's 1889 in my A-H game in PoD. I thought I had a grasp on politics but apparently I don't. I can't seem to get enough liberals in the upper house in order to work my way to HM's Government. I had enough liberals in the 1850s to pass landed only, but then my movements stalled, and I haven't had any more movements materialize other than nationalists. My literacy is around 75% but consciousness just hovers around 1.5. I'm kind of at a loss on how to get movements rolling in A-H.

I've maxed out Industry/commerce/army tech as well as the social/political thought and philosophy culture trees for 1889, so I figured there would be enough +political/social reform desire in there to get something to happen. I've also done my best to keep the liberals in power since elections started, by swaying public opinion in their direction, but my liberals can't seem to get more than 20% in the upper house.

What am I doing wrong?

It's 1889 in my A-H game in PoD. I thought I had a grasp on politics but apparently I don't. I can't seem to get enough liberals in the upper house in order to work my way to HM's Government. I had enough liberals in the 1850s to pass landed only, but then my movements stalled, and I haven't had any more movements materialize other than nationalists. My literacy is around 75% but consciousness just hovers around 1.5. I'm kind of at a loss on how to get movements rolling in A-H.

I've maxed out Industry/commerce/army tech as well as the social/political thought and philosophy culture trees for 1889, so I figured there would be enough +political/social reform desire in there to get something to happen. I've also done my best to keep the liberals in power since elections started, by swaying public opinion in their direction, but my liberals can't seem to get more than 20% in the upper house.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, seemingly your populace is content with what they have. That being said i noted that some nations seem to be more conservative than others (like Austria). Why do you want liberals in your UH anyways?

EDIT: Anyways a good solution to get reforms passed is to drive your militancy up. The more militant people are, the bigger the percentage of conservatives that vote yes on reforms. Also, clergy lowers consciousness, perhaps you have too many.

Last edited:
Naturally though it can be dangerous driving militancy up. You don't want rebels to emerge.

Are you using the national focuses to increase liberal party support? Also in the elections make sure to always choose the options that matches the party values.

Naturally though it can be dangerous driving militancy up. You don't want rebels to emerge.

Are you using the national focuses to increase liberal party support? Also in the elections make sure to always choose the options that matches the party values.

Yeh, I'm still struggling here, but now due to the fact I've been in a state of continuous war for about 7 years now with various powers. I'm hoping for a break in the fighting to get consciousness up.

Why not? Unless you are a minor nation with just a couple of brigades (which isn't the case), at most they're a nuisance and are easily dealt with. Social reforms like healthcare and education are very powerful and definitely worth crushing a few rebellions.

Also, i was under the impression that party loyalty NF sways pops into voting on a certain ideology on elections and not actually changing their ideology, but i could be wrong on this one.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, seemingly your populace is content with what they have. That being said i noted that some nations seem to be more conservative than others (like Austria). Why do you want liberals in your UH anyways?

since its PoD He probably wants to form the DNF which requires Austria-Hungary to be either a Democracy or HM's government which can be a bit tricky without losing wars to Prussia or Russia. but woth the cool flag and accepted pops.

My best suggestion is throw all your national focus points to promoting liberals, Change your ruling party to liberal (Ruling party gets an advantage in elections) if you can get enough reforms passed eventually you'll flip into HM's government, otherwise try and piss the Jacobins off enough to get one to spawn on vienna.

since its PoD He probably wants to form the DNF which requires Austria-Hungary to be either a Democracy or HM's government which can be a bit tricky without losing wars to Prussia or Russia. but woth the cool flag and accepted pops.

My best suggestion is throw all your national focus points to promoting liberals, Change your ruling party to liberal (Ruling party gets an advantage in elections) if you can get enough reforms passed eventually you'll flip into HM's government, otherwise try and piss the Jacobins off enough to get one to spawn on vienna.

Yes I'm trying to form DNF. All I need is Non-Secret Ballots to get HM's government I think. It's 1900 now. I accepted Slovenes and Czechs and my liberal support jumped, but still isn't enough.

I think I'm trying to juggle too much. I was able to colonize a huge chunk of Africa. Most of the Middle East and the Balkans is sphered. I'm modernizing and building a world-class navy. Revolts are beginning to get out of control, but I have an education reform movement that is growing rapidly. A Crisis over Romania just began a Great War that I'm sure I'll win(A-H, France, Scandinavia and Russia vs. Great Britain and Germany). I think I'm going to try to dismantle Great Britain and then take down the French in the endgame.

I think if I hold out another 5 years, I can start passing the necessary reforms.

Bah, 1905 and another Crisis. I've come to realize my pops are schizo. They are too damn happy to demand political reforms but I'm constantly getting Jacobin and Nationalist revolts. I can finally pass social reforms(which helps with the constant Communist revolts), but I'm getting into the end game and running out of time to form Danubian Federation(with enough time left to stomp around Central Europe unifying my peoples). I'm on the verge of accepting Poles.

I think I screwed the pooch back in the 1850s when I formed Yugoslavia out of the OE and Croatia and immediately took Suffrage reforms instead of taking a few others.

I had the same sort of experience with Russia, my pops didn't have the liberal events in early game and as such even as LIT increased they were happy with there lot.

I wanted the social reforms more than the political ones, but still WHY YOU NO GET ANGRY!

I also don't really understand, except that it is cause of mechanics, why as an absolute monarchy I can't just pass social reforms. Who the fudge is going to stop me?

Why not? Unless you are a minor nation with just a couple of brigades (which isn't the case), at most they're a nuisance and are easily dealt with. Social reforms like healthcare and education are very powerful and definitely worth crushing a few rebellions.

Also, i was under the impression that party loyalty NF sways pops into voting on a certain ideology on elections and not actually changing their ideology, but i could be wrong on this one.

Well you can't always defeat rebels. Sometimes even your soldiers will join the rebels or they might rise up during a bad time in your war.

Now that you mention it though I think you are right about about the party loyalty nf, but it does ensure at least that the liberal party wont be voted out.

I've been running Liberal support NF in my 6 most populous regions (in terms of those who actually vote) and it hasn't really helped a whole lot. maybe I need to run it longer? it's at +2.xxx in all these provinces.

Its a safe bet to just let the Jacobins take Vienna and enforce demands while annihilating them everywhere else. You'll get the HM's government instantly instead of having to wait for it to properly switch you out of Prussian Constitutionalism. Then you can save the game and Form the DNF which you will want to do as the decisions can be wonky (Hungarians and Bohemians like to say no sometimes and royally screw over the Federation)

So, I had to fight a massive war against Germany and GB when GB attacked France. It lasted almost 8 years as my armies had to march through(and conquer) Germany, attempt to conquer Britain(and fail), and then turn around and march to India and managed to dismantle the British and German Empires. During this time, I managed to get a suffrage movement. I used it to get the necessary reforms.

On April 7 1917, I was able to form the DNF. Romania exists, so naturally they wanted to leave me. I let the Poles go too as a puppet, but everyone else wanted to be part of the club. I immediately used me Cultural Union CB to retake my lost Romanian clay as well as Silesia. Now I'm plotting to dismantle the only real power left, France. I'm slowly releasing puppets in Africa in areas which I don't have key resources. I'll let them manage their own affairs as I don't have time to Micromanage a lot of my empire.

I have to say, dismantling Great Britain was quite a treat. It's a blast watching India tear itself apart.